• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Fear/Startle reaction in NFs

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
thoughts in order of appearance:

awww, it's cute. <3
gonna hurt a bit when it bites you.
eyeballs!
it's fuzzy and looks like a tigers eye rock.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
seeing the second picture kinda surprised me. I tend to have an unhappy reaction to spiders that are a. in my home, or b. bigger than my thumb. Otherwise spiders in general garner my respect and awe. I'm actually allergic to a certain spider in Kentucky and after having had a "bad" reaction they just aren't so scary.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I would put a leash on her, and we would take walks in the neighborhood.

prplchknz said:
i swear roaches are not from earth, they're from a different planet waiting patiently to invade our planet.

You're right. You need to read CALLAHAN'S SECRET by Spider Robinson. All shall be explained. :D

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
"What shiny fur."
then
"Nice picture."
then
"This really isn't freaking me out. That was a lame choice."

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I instantly worried that I might put it in my mouth.

:yim_rolling_on_the_

I felt a little "sphincter squeeze." Was that startled enough?

Second thought was wondering what it woud feel like. Soft or spiky? Warm or cold?

The eyes are so shiny it nearly looks cute.

Haven't read the thread. Is the idea that we are in our heads so much that things startle us?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I am mildly arachnophobic. This picture only makes me a little uneasy, now if such a beast were to find it's way in my home, I'd probably keep as big of a distance as possible, but never let it out of my sight. I couldn't possibly kill it nor try to get rid of it and I would be too scared and ashamed to call anyone for help, so I would be screwed basically.

Here's my tried and true. Grab a kitchen glass and upend it on said creature. Now you may safely observe until ISTJ spouse comes home and does whatever ISTJs do with the little creatures. (Don't watch. THAT will startle you.):hi:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
It's aesthetically pleasing to me. Nothing more, really.

I'd like a psychologist to come up with a theory that explains why such cliché phobias exist in our society. There probably is one out there already but I've never heard (of) it.

I would put a leash on her, and we would take walks in the neighborhood.

lol

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's aesthetically pleasing to me. Nothing more, really.

I'd like a psychologist to come up with a theory that explains why such cliché phobias exist in our society. There probably is one out there already but I've never heard (of) it.

lol

My behaviorist professor told me that it is actually a genetic response. Much like a rabbit will have an instinctive response to seeing the shadow of a bird of prey (even when never having encountered one), some humans have the same response to spiders as many of them are in fact quite dangerous to us.

sade

Thoughts in order:

- Aww... :wubbie:
- I wonder what species it is?
- I want to poke it.
- I wonder if I could identify it. Hmm. Is it poisonous?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My behaviorist professor told me that it is actually a genetic response. Much like a rabbit will have an instinctive response to seeing the shadow of a bird of prey (even when never having encountered one), some humans have the same response to spiders as many of them are in fact quite dangerous to us.

Yes, but you'd think killers spiders would be everywhere on the planet. But they are very rare depending on where you go. I think it has more to do with the collective subconscious. Like the boogie man.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, but you'd think killers spiders would be everywhere on the planet. But they are very rare depending on where you go. I think it has more to do with the collective subconscious. Like the boogie man.

The thing is that that fear is apparently passed genetically and somewhat transgenerationally as well. Considering all the moving about people have done, those genetic traits also ended up where spiders are not really harmful, and still provoke the same reaction, apparently. But I agree, the contribution of transferring the fear from parent to child helps to keep it alive.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here's my tried and true. Grab a kitchen glass and upend it on said creature. Now you may safely observe until ISTJ spouse comes home and does whatever ISTJs do with the little creatures. (Don't watch. THAT will startle you.):hi:

Oh no.. ISTJ's don't eat those poor bastards, do they? :shock:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My thought was, "Aw! Diddow fuzzy spider!" and then I wondered how to pet it, and came up with the idea of a very soft artist's brush.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm generally ok with spiders.
I've held friends' tarantulas before.
They're like ugly hamsters!

There is, however, one type of spider that I think I've developed a legit phobia of from a startling experience.
huntsman_spider.jpg

It's a typical brown spider.. a wolf spider, I think.

Anyway, I was on my cell phone with a friend when this traumatic even occurred..
I'd realized I had left my car headlights on & was stepping outside to remedy that...

This HUGE fucking spider thought it wise to drop down from the top of the doorframe just as I was stepping outside, and hang in the center of the doorway.
Seriously, the same moment I was walking out.

It came only millimeters from hitting me IN THE FACE.

I shrieked like a girl [didn't know I was capable of that] & slammed the door.

An epic battle to the death ensued.

Needing to turn off my headlights & rescue my car battery, I took a breath & opened the front door again, hoping it was gone.
Nope. Still hanging in the center of the doorway.

No, I refused to try to go around it and give it the opportunity to GET ME.

I went under my kitchen sink & returned to the doorway & launched an attack with Tropical Passion Lysol. And then Windex.
It wouldn't move!

Finally it fell, but I couldn't see where it went, & it's silk string was still hanging from the top of the doorframe, to the bottom, right down the center.
No way in hell could I use that door to go out, still.

So I went out the back door, turned off my car lights, & slowly climbed the front porch steps.
THE SPIDER WAS BACK in the center again. Hanging,
WAITING. FOR ME.
After the use of a couple sticks, some more girlish battle cries, a weak-ass karate kick..
and.. a big rock..
I vanquished the enemy.

That spider scared the fuck out of me. It was enormous (for a porch-kinda spider, I mean). Abdomen was the diameter of a nickel. That's uncomfortably too large for me, especially when I'm being ambushed by the fucking thing. It was not easily defeated, but in the end I reigned victorious. I did what I had to do. :yes:

But seriously, I never had issues with spiders before.. but now I get an awful, creeping sensation of terror whenever I run into THAT particular breed of spider.
Ugh.

Needless to say, the whole thing rendered my INTP friend on the other end of the cell phone utterly speechless.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm not afraid of spiders infact I like them they kill mosquitos. Which don't scare me, just annoy me with their biting. I don't think i've ever been bitten by a spider.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
My hubby got bit by a wolf spider - it was a ow-ie for sure.

I tend to startle pretty easy - car doors slamming, sudden loud sounds, people touching my arm unexpectedly, stuff like that. People who know me love to take advantage of that from time to time. I then threaten to attack with my ninja powers.

The pic doesn't startle me, although looking at the spider eyes is a little creepy ...

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I'm mildly arachnophobic, so for first, shivers and "eww" inside my mind. (Then I made a few biology-nerdy observations regarding the structure of the arachnid.)

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
I like spiders! They're very helpful creatures and for the most part if you leave them alone they won't hurt you.

I am not easily squicked out or startled. I have pretty strong Se and five brothers. Plus my grandfather is a crazy old man who collects scorpions.