User Tag List

View Poll Results: are you often bored with your "so-so" life?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, very much, and I often show it blatantly to others!

2 9.52%
  • yes, very much, but I rarely show it to other people

4 19.05%
  • sometimes,.but it's getting worse from time to time

2 9.52%
  • sometimes,.but I'm often just trying to enjoy it!..

4 19.05%
  • very rarely, 'cuz I LOVE my current life! (please post ur life-story below)

2 9.52%
  • very rarely, because either have no time to think, or I'm a very simple person

1 4.76%
  • NEVER!! I never got bored with my Life!!

6 28.57%
First 2345 Last

Buy an EcK!
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Either will do, but they usually are only in the super sekret yellow pages. You can buy those on Ebay probably, but then again, they are SUPER SEKRET.
    Ah, you can buy anything on ebay! I once read about this guy who sold basically his entire life, seriously!
    I could probably buy my arch nemesis there.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    infp

Are you sure everyone you know is as happy to be doing the work they do as you say they are? They could be putting on a face, or they could just have a different perspective.

As for the internet and youtube and alternative lifestyles, do you really believe that? Is it really how it's shown? Is happiness really as simple as moving to a farm, or travelling, or whatever? I'm skeptical; it seems silly to think anything is that simple, there are always struggles. When people tell stories of their travels, they don't talk about the tough parts, but they're always there. Same deal with the movies, they're movies, they are not the same as real life, never apply or compare them to what kind of adventures life should have, they will always be different.

You talk about money and status a lot. Your job... who says it has to have anything to do with who you are? Who says it has to be fulfilling? It's an acting gig, you go in and you come out. You got to play the game. Money is part of this... it's all part of the game, but that doesn't mean it has to decide who you are or what you do. It doesn't have to have anything to do with your identity unless you let it. Do you worry if your breakfast cereal was meaningful enough, or your clothes, or everything else?.. What I'm trying to get at, but can't describe as fluidly as I'd like to, is that maybe the people who seem content in their cubicle merely don't let somethign arbitrary like a cubicle decide their worth... the whole "you can't be a prisoner if you don't let yourself feel inprisoned" kind of mentality.

Personally I'm not bored with my life, but I do sometimes want to go for soemthing more. I know it won't be easy, but I think I'm at a crossraods where I need to step it up. I have awesome hobbies and stuff I can always work on, so routine never gets old. But I still need to step it up this summer, get a job, challenge myself a bit more than usual.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Well, Niki, I do hear what you are saying. It is not an easy feeling to dispel. In order to do so you need to take some action. Just sitting and wishing for something different will not make it so.

I do not have a magic answer unfortunately though. You need to connect with a passion in order to make the rest palatable. And you need to be grateful for what you do have. I started a thankfulness journal to remind me of all the good things even if my job is not as satisfying to me. I have also been reading this book: Refuse to Choose and have been finding it interesting.

Good luck; I know it can be very frustrating to feel as you do.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by GZA
    You talk about money and status a lot. Your job... who says it has to have anything to do with who you are? Who says it has to be fulfilling? It's an acting gig, you go in and you come out. You got to play the game. Money is part of this... it's all part of the game, but that doesn't mean it has to decide who you are or what you do. It doesn't have to have anything to do with your identity unless you let it. Do you worry if your breakfast cereal was meaningful enough, or your clothes, or everything else?.. What I'm trying to get at, but can't describe as fluidly as I'd like to, is that maybe the people who seem content in their cubicle merely don't let somethign arbitrary like a cubicle decide their worth... the whole "you can't be a prisoner if you don't let yourself feel inprisoned" kind of mentality.
    You bring up some very good points. We certainly don't need to let everything we do form our identity. Our true inner selves probably aren't even identifiable anyway.

The thing about jobs and careers, though, in this modern industrial society (America, Japan, Europe, etc...) is that they are what society is built on. The capitalist economy dictates that we must work. But we seem to have put too much emphasis on efficiency, profits, and productivity. I know that average Americans and Japanese people are working around 50-60 hours a week now. This is crazy. With lifestyles like this how can our career not be part of our identity? It eats up all our time. Many of us have no more free time able to develop meaningful hobbies or relationships with people. And it's all the more frustrating to many because they are too involved in the game and too locked into the system. If you work all the time, life is gonna lock into a routine and you will be sucked dry. I hope to avoid this in every way possible.
    9 wing 1

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SuperServal View Post
    The thing about jobs and careers, though, in this modern industrial society (America, Japan, Europe, etc...) is that they are what society is built on. The capitalist economy dictates that we must work. But we seem to have put too much emphasis on efficiency, profits, and productivity. I know that average Americans and Japanese people are working around 50-60 hours a week now. This is crazy. With lifestyles like this how can our career not be part of our identity? It eats up all our time. Many of us have no more free time able to develop meaningful hobbies or relationships with people. And it's all the more frustrating to many because they are too involved in the game and too locked into the system. If you work all the time, life is gonna lock into a routine and you will be sucked dry. I hope to avoid this in every way possible.
    GZA, although you bring up some very good points (which kinda made me pause to think & ponder, honestly) , but my conclusion is the the same as what SuperServal said above.. it is exactly my problem too: with work consumes around 3/4th of our life, how could it not be "part" of our identity? especially for those kind of people who work over-time, until very late at night, and then have to get up again at morning.. I personally just can't, in a century, imagine why these people would choose to 'crush' their true identity and what they really want, and instead just put all their 'identities' into a job that they know they dislike.. if it's for money only, I would soon just resign, I don't actually care if I'll starve and stuff like that, "I will survive" , much much better than become a karoshii (death from overwork, very popular term in Japan).

Worse, is when society, and people around you just identify with you solely, purely just from what you're doing at your job/work, and that's it.
    examples: have you ever come to a friends or big-family gathering, only to be asked (or concerned) with these 'boring' questions: "oh hey, so how's ur job?" and when you even half-heartedly answered "oh...yah..it's fine...i guess" , yet people KEPT ASKING you consecutively with more stuff: "oh! i heard the furniture business is now tumbling down...how do you handle that?" or "oh but it surely doesn't affect ur profits, right?" , and the climax is when some people praised me by saying "look at him, he's so succesful, will become rich, he'll definitely get married with beautiful girl, all girls will look up at him bla bla..."
    sometimes I feel that I just want to yell at them and say "I'M NOT LIKE WHAT YOU SEE!!!" , because god I just hate how these people kept viewing me as my job = my identity = I LOVE my job! NO, I don't like my job, in fact, I hate it, I despise it! it's not my *true* identity.
    and yet when I play music passionately (which is always been my true passion), I just really hate it when people here said things like "oh how sweet...you really have such a good hobby!"
    my god...."hobby" ?? I've actually always intended to make it as my FULL-time career, but always these pragmatist people just kept saying how I should never - in my sane mind - choose Music as career, because "it'll definitely make you broke & starving" , that's what they said repeatedly always,.and yet they kept placing such a 'fake' identity in me, by viewing me as a "succesfull furniture Export manager" !

how can i not get irritated by all of that?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I rarely ever feel bored, thank god.

I am quite adept at entertaining and stimulated myself.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    does any of you here can relate with me?

how to remedy this kind of feelings?
    how to eliminate boredom in life?
    I can relate to you. I am very often very bored.
    I don't know the remedy because I think it's impossible to eliminate boredom from life, sorry.

I maybe play lots of online fantasy games becaues I'm trying to escape from boredom.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    tell us about ur existencial problems.
    We want to help!
    We do?

OP: No. Rarely. I have way too many subjects and interests to study or explore on my own time.

MBTI
    ENTP

There's so much work to be done. I can never be bored. Rather what i need is more and more time.