• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do you need to be inspired to do things?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This is something I have noticed about NFs. That they usually need inspiration to do things even if task is not that difficult.

This works more for NFPs then NFJs but both groups are familiar with this approach. Other temperaments have this as well but to a lesser degree.

Do NFs think that there is some truth in this observation?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I could attest to that.
I'm watching Broadway musicals on DVD as I do less-than-enjoyable homework for a non-theatre related course. [performing arts major here.. got tons of silly pipe dreams]
Watching this fruity stuff motivates and inspires me in billions of different ways.

Always looking forward.

When the passions and imagination are stirred, the sparks fly and I get moving a little quicker..

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, it is very hard to do stuff that doesn't make me at least a bit enthusiastic or doesn't lead me to some other more inspiring things.

sculpting

yes.

Organizing my thoughts is very hard and I can be very scatteretd. Very ADD exhausting at times.

I attach an emotional context to tasks I need to complete or think of the task as it relates to the larger "mission" and it energizes me to complete thr task

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Good observation. I really need to be inspired by something for tedious tasks.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yes. For otherworldly-boring tasks (like studying economics or other such nonsense), I've found that, for some reason, inspiration only comes right at the last minute... :huh:

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh yeah. My motto is "if I can't put my heart into it, I'll drop it."
I purposely self-sabotage things that don't interest me now that I think about it.
:blink:.On the other hand if I want something I'm up at 2 in the morning working on it and I just tune out from anything else.
There's really no middle ground to be honest.
I care about it or not, simple as that.

sade

Unfortunately yes.
'Fortunately' my mom taugh me to do the tedious and unliked tasks because they needed be done. So I waver in this.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Yes to the nth degree.

For boring class projects and such, the faux inspiration comes when I realize the deadline is just a day or two away, and I bust ass to get it done on time and it usually comes out really well.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes to the nth degree.

For boring class projects and such, the faux inspiration comes when I realize the deadline is just a day or two away, and I bust ass to get it done on time and it usually comes out really well.

:laugh:Same for me!
But my English teacher has had me since 8th grade and she knows when it's "fake". I get Bs when that happens...:shock:

pockets

MBTI Type
HUMM
I was just thinking about this over my textbooks today.
And yes. I'm like a sloth when uninspired.
But I work like fury when I begin.
I used to study because of fear (my parents took great pains to put the fear of failing in me), though recently I've shed that fear, and a positive inspiration is hard to come by.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
A perfect enthusiastic "YES!", filled with all that is right and wrong in this world, all the emotions from joy to rage, filled with utmost warmth and most severe frigidness at the same time. A simple, yet extremely effective response from an incredible ENFP, doesn't that just make your day? :wubbie:

ejlewis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh yeah. My motto is "if I can't put my heart into it, I'll drop it."
I purposely self-sabotage things that don't interest me now that I think about it.
:blink:.On the other hand if I want something I'm up at 2 in the morning working on it and I just tune out from anything else.
There's really no middle ground to be honest.
I care about it or not, simple as that.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't feel alive unless i'm inspired. it sucks. it doesn't feel right- it's not really me. i could be anyone else and it wouldn't even matter.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to study because of fear (my parents took great pains to put the fear of failing in me), though recently I've shed that fear, and a positive inspiration is hard to come by.

yeah sj parents and all the constant worry. once you shed that, every day is such a different battle than it is when you just are pushed around but what you are supposed to do. it is either meaningful, or it isn't, and then what do you do about that?

pockets

MBTI Type
HUMM
yeah sj parents and all the constant worry. once you shed that, every day is such a different battle than it is when you just are pushed around but what you are supposed to do. it is either meaningful, or it isn't, and then what do you do about that?

I try to do things for the joy of it, of losing myself in the memorizing of tables and details, kind of rather like flexing my muscles.
I'm finding that:
discipline not equals soul death,
but rather, excessive self-indulgence (that i'm prone to especially when i'm feeling blue) sickens my heart.

But it is a battle, everyday, because now I see that skipping a lecture or two (or ten) won't kill me, not pwning the class won't make me any less worthy of love (in fact, pwning the class has never made my parents love me or value me more, except for the bragging privileges it lends. I don't think i'm being cynical, but to stop exhausting myself with impossibilities), etc, it becomes hard to find that drive borne of desperation that supersedes all other needs to just get down to doing something.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
This is something I have noticed about NFs. That they usually need inspiration to do things even if task is not that difficult.

This works more for NFPs then NFJs but both groups are familiar with this approach. Other temperaments have this as well but to a lesser degree.

Do NFs think that there is some truth in this observation?

In Agent Smith's words: "Me! Me! Me!" :D
yes! this is definitely the story of my life!
it can be fun at times,
but also often, the disorganized and procrastinate habit/nature I have often would constantly make me feel depressed, and lots of things are never finished. and that nothing ever got completly done, although i have a whole LOTS of great ideas,..which even depressed me further :doh: