First 234

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by superkumquat View Post
    So I was talking to my mom about this terrible teacher I have, and how he was yelling at this girl and it really upset me. And after I get done explaining how terrible the teacher was, thinking that my mom is actually interested, she tells me that she was thinking about getting some depression medication for me, and told me that it's not normal to get so upset over things. And I was wondering, is this extreme empathy a personality thing, or is really abnormal? Do any other INFPs have problems with depression? I don't really think of myself as depressed... I do get depressed every now and then, but I'm generally a pretty happy person. It just seems like it's who I am. Things affect me really deeply, but that's just how I am. Ugh. Any thoughts?
    What pretty much every one else said. It just comes with the territory of being a strongly empathetic INFP. No need for meds.

Interesting that your mom focused on the problem being with you instead of asking more questions about the potentially damaging actions of your teacher. Doubly so if you are in high school.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

SuperKumquat,
    There's nothing wrong with your response. Especially if you are INFP. Trust me you would know if you were depressed, because nothing is good and you feel like you are dying inside.
    You sound more hurt, by your mum's reaction. You don't need meds for that. You are just empathetic that's all. Try not to let your mum's comments get to you.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Junior Member ScentlessApprentice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5-4

Depression is part of my families genetics from my moms side. My mom has tried to commit suicide a couple of times, mostly because of grief from her childhood that she hasn't gotten over yet. I struggle with depression also. I think part of it came because of my parents being emotionally absent and neglectful all my life. Another part of it is that i have autism. I've always had an extremely hard time making friends, and my social skills aren't very good. So most of my life has been me hiding in my headspace away from people, and i think the lack of relation between other people is too much to bear, especially when you see other people doing it around you. You feel left out and alone, and not wanting to be part of this earth. That can cause depression.
    5-4 INFP "The Idealist"

If you want to find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think I read somewhere that INFP's are the most likely of all types to suffer depression.

I get depressed very easily, and sometimes for reasons that people would not normally get depressed by. But, I refuse to take medication. I've seen how some anti-depressants can really mess people up and make them worse than they were before. I've told my mom about my depression problems, she keeps saying she's going to take me to seea shrink, but hasn't yet.

Look at it this way: It's a gift AND a curse. We sometimes become really depressed because of something that has happened to other people, it's just a sign that we are extremely sensitive people and there's nothing wrong with that. But, depression isn't fun for anyone who's experienced it. It just isn't.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ILI

I'd suggest INFJs have a similar depth of empathy for others, as what you describe sounds like me, too... I'm almost glad that I grew up before the 'medications' fad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ

@superkumquat - Not sure if this is out of line, but please take it as just one person's perspective (or empathy spilling over). I am quite angry w/ your Mom for thinking you should be on an anti-depressant for feeling things strongly. Part of the reason INFJ/INFPs have a hard time (read: low self-confidence, things just feel difficult) is because society is constantly sending us messages that we're screwed up for being so intense, picky, whatever. Just because something unfair happened to someone else doesn't make you a candidate for depression medication, it makes you empathetic. That's a trait, not something in the DSM-IV. Depression medication CAN be helpful, but that's if you're sure you're depressed and that medication is the route you want to pursue for treatment.

Saxman: Emotions are fuel that motivate people. Emotions are not the problem, and it is not a matter of learning how to suppress them. Rather it is about learning what the emotions are trying to tell us.
    Thank you!