First 345

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Spaghetti View Post
    How can we get to the INFJ core? I do agree with you. I often feel the INFJ will help the INFP to focus more on the INFP's needs, but the INFP can't really return the favor because they're already so all over the place that it's more difficult to stop for a second and focus on the INFJ.

I think the INFJ can see very clearly all of the disastrous traffic in my head and freeze it instantly. But when I look towards the INFJ, I see a wall. Not in the sense that the INFJ puts up a wall against me, it's just that I lack the ability to truly see the thoughts going through the INFJ. I can only scratch the surface. They can tell me how they feel about something, what they're thinking, but I feel unable to help in someway beyond listening. I feel like I cannot share in those thoughts or feelings as much as I really want to do so, that I lack so much in that INFJ ability to connect to others.

But I do really wish I could reach the INFJ "core" and better understand my friend, for she is truly one of the most honest and wonderful people I know.
    Thank you for posting this. I had a close INFP friend who tried to say something like this to me several times before his death, but I didn't understand him. Now I do. We were not as close the last few years of his life after his remarriage, but when I knew him he was pretty much a black hole of emotional need. So our relationship was fairly one-sided and I let it be. It's good to know he recognized it and wanted it to be different. Thank you.
    "My Journey is my Destination."

"Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul

MBTI
    infj

Quote Originally Posted by Split_Infinitive View Post
    Oh my goodness, LavaLucy, are you actually me and is my INFP friend your INFP friend? It's only because we don't live in the same country that we haven't done Bret's dance together yet, but I am visiting her in America next month and we are trying to get tickets to see FotC together! She and I really seem to have the same sense of humor.
    I think you're on to something there

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Spaghetti View Post
    How can we get to the INFJ core? I do agree with you. I often feel the INFJ will help the INFP to focus more on the INFP's needs, but the INFP can't really return the favor because they're already so all over the place that it's more difficult to stop for a second and focus on the INFJ.

I think the INFJ can see very clearly all of the disastrous traffic in my head and freeze it instantly. But when I look towards the INFJ, I see a wall. Not in the sense that the INFJ puts up a wall against me, it's just that I lack the ability to truly see the thoughts going through the INFJ. I can only scratch the surface. They can tell me how they feel about something, what they're thinking, but I feel unable to help in someway beyond listening. I feel like I cannot share in those thoughts or feelings as much as I really want to do so, that I lack so much in that INFJ ability to connect to others.

But I do really wish I could reach the INFJ "core" and better understand my friend, for she is truly one of the most honest and wonderful people I know.
    Between my husband and myself, he seems to need to talk about how he feels so he can know how he feels. "I have to talk this out" is a common refrain. This seems to me the one of the benefits an INFP can give, the ability to listen, hear and provide some mirroring.

He talks to no one else deeply about his feelings though (I think it would be healthier for him if he could) and others have complained to me at times that they want to know him better but feel he doesn't want to be known. This is not true, he does want to be known but opening up with others is hard, it's hard to be vulnerable.

So I guess I am saying the best way to try to get to their core is just a lot of listening and trust building, more so than needed with other people.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    So I guess I am saying the best way to try to get to their core is just a lot of listening and trust building, more so than needed with other people.
    in the past i feel like i've tapped into infj's most effectively through exchanging really long emails. gives them time to think about what they want to say instead of being put on the spot, and brings discussions to a level that seems more palatable to them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Thank you for posting this. I had a close INFP friend who tried to say something like this to me several times before his death, but I didn't understand him. Now I do. We were not as close the last few years of his life after his remarriage, but when I knew him he was pretty much a black hole of emotional need. So our relationship was fairly one-sided and I let it be. It's good to know he recognized it and wanted it to be different. Thank you.
    Glad to help.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

What are some ways an INFP can better learn to recognize when they are overstepping their boundaries (venting too often, becoming too needy, etc.) with an INFJ?

I have maybe... five INFJ friends, so this is something I am constantly exploring in my head.

MBTI
    INTJ

It seems to me it's more about psychological health and emotional well-being than it is about type. At least in my experience, I've known some very unhealthy, broken people and some very healthy, stable people... and an unhealthy INFJ is far less equipped to be a good friend than is a healthy INFP.
    j'adore les chats

MBTI
    INFP

How many of these INFP + INFJ threads are there anyway? Every time I turn around there's a new one stuffed full of lengthy, thoughtful, heartfelt posts.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    How many of these INFP + INFJ threads are there anyway? Every time I turn around there's a new one stuffed full of lengthy, thoughtful, heartfelt posts.