• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] 5 introverts in immediate family ... what would be the probability?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
My parents, two brothers & myself ... all I's. Yep, 5 of us.

How improbable is that? :huh:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Oh just realized if I posted this in the NT section, they would figure it out for me LOL!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Our family of five has four introverts... plus one ESFP.

...Poor guy.

G

garbage

Someone called?

Introverts are around 25% of the population. Assuming that your individual types don't have anything to do with each other (that is, types aren't genetic)..

.25*.25*.25*25*.25 = 0.09765625%.

.. I think.

But yeah, I figured I'd cover the numerical answer if that's what you're looking for ;)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Jennifer - LOL, I was just thinking about that too ... if there was one of us an E. Pour soul!

And I'm the most outgoing one LOL; family get-togethers are generally ... quiet!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh just realized if I posted this in the NT section, they would figure it out for me LOL!

if the odds of being intro/extro are 50/50 and the draw is random, then the odds would be 1 / 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 1/32.

But we're talking genetics. I don't know if it's random.

And I'm not sure if that 75/25 number is correct, greed -- it seems like bs to me. I seem to run into a lot more introverts than extro, to be honest.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Yes, I have seen the estimated proportion of E-I vary from a 75-25 ratio to 50-50.

Impressive result either way!

.03 (Jennifer) vs .09 (greed) ...wait a minute, something is wrong!

(Who wants to win points and guess what it is!!!)

What the hay, let's round up & say it's around 1% ... that's still pretty improbable!

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I thought the spread for intro/extraversion was 50-50. In other words:

Extraverts = 50% of population
Introverts = 50% of population

I come across far more introverts than extraverts in my daily life.

G

garbage

And I'm not sure if that 75/25 number is correct, greed -- it seems like bs to me. I seem to run into a lot more introverts than extro, to be honest.

And I run into more extroverts.. I guess it probably depends on what environments you frequent most :) The type and preference percentages by population changes way too drastically based upon which source you're looking at, especially the T/F dichotomy. You'd think that there'd be an easy way to get that information, at least for those who've taken the official test..

Whatever the correct percentage i is, it'll be i^5. So...we'll say less than 5%, in any case.

If genetics does play a role, which I'm sure it does, maybe closer to 5-15%.

G

garbage

.03 (Jennifer) vs .09 (greed) ...wait a minute, something is wrong!

(Who wants to win points and guess what it is!!!)

You mean .03 versus .0009, or 3% versus .09%. Decimals aren't the same as fractions.

How many points do I get? ;)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Are you sure you didn't put that % in after greed? ;) ;)

(PeaceBaby tries to evade fact that cooking dinner and typing mean one's attention is not as focussed especially well on either ... )

G

garbage

Wait, who said introversion isn't genetic? How wouldn't it be genetic?:huh:

That was our assumption, which makes things easier to calculate, since each family member's type would be statistically independent of each other.

If it is genetic (which, well, it's gotta be), you'd have to factor in some sort of Mendelian inheritance, figure out which traits are dominant and which are recessive.. it'd be a mess. You're free to try :)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
23,125 more points greed for protecting my reputation ...

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The family of five I grew up in is also all introverts. INTJ dad, INFJ mom, and three sons INTP, ISFP, and ISTP.

My own son is an extrovert so it has been an interesting experience for me, to be sure. :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that the types must be genetic. Over half my family is of one of the SFP breeds.