• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] 5 introverts in immediate family ... what would be the probability?

Scott

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9/5?
I've got 5 introverts too, plus an ENTJ dad. He's definitely not a strong E though, and since he didn't have anyone to extrovert with around the house, it wound up being like a house of 6 introverts. It definitely has its strengths and its glaring weaknesses.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well, I have 5 Js in my immediate family.And I'm the youngest and the only P.

:BangHead:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
And I'm not sure if that 75/25 number is correct, greed -- it seems like bs to me. I seem to run into a lot more introverts than extro, to be honest.

Seconded!

Where do you hang out greed?

90% of the people I meet IRL are introverts. It's maddening, man, MADDENING. I wanna meet more extraverts so we can roll through clubs, bars, gallery openings, lectures, book signings, flea markets, farmer's markets, conventions, conferences, concerts, parties, game nights, etc. together.

Also, I am the sole extravert in my immediate family of 4. In my extended family I am one of entire TWO extraverts in a clan of 12 on my mom's side and one of THREE in a clan of 16 on my dad's side. So overall, I'm in the 18% minority.

Count yourself lucky man that you are not totally "the odd man out". 3 *extremely* introverted NTs + *extremely* extraverted NF me...not fun, dude, not fun.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm the only E in my family of 5. And I'm not the most extroverted ENFP. Got INFJ, INTP, ISFP, ISTP in immediate family. Maybe that's why I'm not the most extroverted extrovert.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Well, I have 5 Js in my immediate family.And I'm the youngest and the only P.

:BangHead:

Wow, that would drive me nuts lol.

Only me and my dad are the introverts in my family, my 6 siblings are all extreme extroverts.

I think my middle child is an introvert too, whereas the other 2 are not.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Me: INFJ
Them:
ISFP
ISFJ
ISTP

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Talk about probabilities- I live with my dad and younger sister- and we're all INFPs

:party2:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My parents, two brothers & myself ... all I's. Yep, 5 of us.

How improbable is that? :huh:

I don't think it's that improbable, given that you're all in the same family. It's probably not typical, but I wouldn't call it incredibly rare, either.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
I'm one of nine kids born to an ENFJ and an ENTJ. I am the only other extrovert in the whole family. The only one out of nine kids.

G

garbage

Every single person in my immediate family--me, mother, father, brother, and sister--is a J. I'm by far the weakest J, but that probably came over time as I saw how retarded it made everyone else (and me, for a long while).

Me, my brother, and my dad are all ENTJs.

My mom's the only introvert and the only sensor. Poor her..

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
My parents, two brothers & myself ... all I's. Yep, 5 of us.

How improbable is that? :huh:

That's nothing. Out of five children and two parents in my family only my father MAY qualify as an extrovert.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Well this is very interesting indeed ... I have never thought much of the genetic components of these traits. Thanks all for your thoughts.

Here are the details of my family:
istj (dad) +
isfj (mom) =
infp (me)
intj (brother 1)
isfp (brother 2)

Next generation:
estj (hubby) +
infp (me) =
esfp (son)
intj (daughter)

See, I introduced an E into the genetic pool, and looky, we got us an E! And he's a E off the scale!

My hubby's family are all Sensors too, and I often feel like a fish outta water in those family gatherings! (No one is trolling for what I consider "deep conversations".)

Wouldn't this make for a fascinating genetic study! Has something like that been done before?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I'm one of nine kids born to an ENFJ and an ENTJ. I am the only other extrovert in the whole family. The only one out of nine kids.

Wow, your parents would have taken you kids all over the place, much to the dismay of your introverted sublings I bet LOL!

A genetic theory, potentially tossed out the window already ... BUT WAIT - imagine if you looked at inheritance here the same as eye color. One gene for I, one for E. You get one or the other from each parent to make a pairing. The combos result in actual expression. (OF COURSE, I'm just playing here, all you T's out there, I am not trying to prove anything LOL!)

If you buy the 75% E population vs 25% I, it would mean that E is the dominant trait. Therefore:

I (from your dad) + I (from your mom) = I
I + E = E
E + I = E
E + E = E

3 out of 4 people, E. 75%

Cool..........I just cracked the genetic code for E vs I. My scientific study and accolades forthcoming. You read it here first!

And for tinyarmy's example above, her parents would have been dominant E, but have had E + I for both of their inherited genes. It would have been improbable for so many I + I pairings, but not impossible by any stretch.

Now, I hear you asking, what about I + I = E - same result as other unexpected expressions - the result of natural mutation & deviation.

Just need to find the genes responsible!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Here's a fun read:

TYPE AND GENETICS

Lots of study done already I see LOL!

"There is considerable evidence that whatever the biological foundations to introversion and extraversion are, they have a genetic basis." Link goes on to explain research done on the matter.

And the final paragraph ... interesting!

"Jung suggested that introversion and extraversion themselves had their roots in two basic ways of procreating. One was a broadcasting of many offspring with the hopes that a few would survive, while the second was the birth of a few offspring raised in highly protective conditions. In short, introversion and extraversion would represent two kinds of evolutionary adaptation, two viable ways of surviving in this world. And this kind of inheritance would guarantee that neither one of these patterns would die out, and as a result mankind would maintain the plasticity and adaptability, which is one of its most valuable attributes."