User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default NF: since we think 'differently' than normal folks...

This thread was originally intended to address INFPs (as i've just wrote it in INFPgc forum/board) , but I figure that it also seems to be the case generally with any NF folks!
    so hence, I feel that I need to say it here too:

To fellow NFs here:

Since we 'operate' and think 'differently' than normal (majority, mainstream) folks in this world......then doesn't it struck you, that that means you have such immense potentials to share it to the world, rather than just wasting it?

And it doesn't necessarily have to be in the artistic-related field!
    from what I've seen, there're also NFs who likes "hard logic" stuff like math, science, and so on, but what makes us different than other people in that field, is our unique perspective, mindset, as if it's a "innate gifts" as being an NFs, the only-small & usually also 'underrated' population of the world.

I know that some of you would probably say "well duh!" to this thread, but this just seems like a sudden 'Eureka!' moment , just today, after i've realized by talking to my INTJ cousin, of how 'different' I am (& always have been since little kid) from a lots of my friends. and as result of that, I often have this 'unique' & 'eccentric' perspectives, and outlooks about many things in life, as my friends often also noticed, and some even give compliments.

Then I thought, this idea could probably reminds all of us again, and even hopefully to motivate all of us, to keep staying on our track, and "be yourself" in whatever field you are right now, and to know that you are NEEDED to share that 'difference' , to make the world see it !
    'cuz I remember reading some post by 40's-something INFP guy who said that INFPs often , due to their lack of self-esteem and confidence, don't know how much potentials they have that the the world (most people) would DIE to see or hear, or even have those potentials !
    I guess he was right..

So as in my case, since I've also been blessed by musical talents, I wish to combine both my music talents, with my 'unique' perspectives & outlooks, as an INFP, and share it to many hearts out there, hoping to touch 'em, and hopefully, give some positive changes to the world! :-)

how about you?

and pls feel free to discuss about this too, as what do you think about all of this :-)

MBTI
    INFP

Thank you for this, niki.

One of the things about being NF that is difficult is having some of the other types discount my observations. For my ISTJ husband, if he can't see touch, taste, smell, feel, hear something it doesn't exist. And if it doesn't exist for him it doesn't exist for anyone else either!

I wish I had a penny for every time someone has said to me, "You're reading too much into this." And I think to myself, "No. You're not looking deeply enough into the issue."

I think we are more open to ideas that are different from ours and willing to learn to see others' viewpoints.

I've always been fortunate to have teachers that recognize my potential and help me develop it.

It's good to hear a positive attitude about our capabilities!

Edit: I want to add that over the years I have offered my husband many new ways of looking at things and his horizons have broadened. And I have learned many practical things from him as well.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTP

wow seriously NF are quite different. in terms of goals.

anyways
    there are some truth in what you say.

I guess the esteem problem may arise from the fact
    the Sensors uses facts to prove their points, etc.
    NTs... well they wont shut up if you question their logic.
    But some of NF's belief. You can't really prove it.
    and that may lead others to ridicule their ideas.

And due to that, i think that a lot of NF could not fullly explore their potential. As they believe their thoughts/belief are inferior and indulged themselves into negative thoughts.
    But i believe this to be more of INFX deal, more than ENFX. Just like you stated heavily INFP related.

@anja
    oo such classic ISTJ.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I'd like to chime in as an ENFX, and say that I certainly identify with the OP and the self-esteem issue.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Where does one start with this?
    There are so many things that are different, at least from my perspective.
    One of the biggest things is Global thinking vs. detail orientated. This isn't restricted just to type, and can be a relief if there are a few global thinkers around, but it can be like banging your head against a brick wall when you are with a bunch of sensors. IRL, I come across as strongly intuitive, more so than here, I would say, which also gives me this spacey aura I think, which also gives people the excuse to totally discount what I'm saying. They learn. Do it once or twice, and people learn to listen when I have something to say. It's hard lesson for my co-workers to learn though, as it often cost lots of money. Although I guess, if some one said with complete conviction this is what's wrong, and can't give why at the time, then I guess I would ignore too. (I'm not sure about that though).
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISFJ

Being an idealist is about being passionate about utopia. We can look at it as fantasy or future. The former is good every now and then, but the latter is where the money's at. Both literally and figuratively.

Point being, NFs have loads of potential, they just need to get off their arses!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it's a confidence in that potential that's lacking i guess...i feel pretty confident in most areas but damn do i second myself too much when it comes to the things i really care about.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    it's a confidence in that potential that's lacking i guess...i feel pretty confident in most areas but damn do i second myself too much when it comes to the things i really care about.

There's no remedy against lack of confidence like taking chances. Confidence is trusting in your potential. Taking chances is testing the limits of your potential.
    Last edited by Moiety; 02-06-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: confidence <> lack of confidence

MBTI
    INFP

"Normal folks?", "bunch of sensors?"
    That could come across as plain contempt but I'll safely assume that wasn't your intention right? :whistle:
    I agree with Stypg and also on all those who spoke about the self-esteem issues for fear of being ridiculed.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    "Normal folks?", "bunch of sensors?"
    That could come across as plain contempt but I'll safely assume that wasn't your intention right? :whistle:
    I agree with Stypg and also on all those who spoke about the self-esteem issues for fear of being ridiculed.
    It seemed contemptuous to me, too