User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you a logical/rational NF?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • ENFP: Awesome at logic and problem solving

26 40.63%
  • ENFP: Okay at logic and problem solving

9 14.06%
  • ENFP: I suck at logic and problem solving

3 4.69%
  • INFP: Awesome at logic and problem solving

3 4.69%
  • INFP: Okay at logic and problem solving

5 7.81%
  • INFP: I suck at logic and problem solving

2 3.13%
  • ENFJ: Awesome at logic and problem solving

1 1.56%
  • ENFJ: Okay at logic and problem solving

1 1.56%
  • ENFJ: I suck at logic and problem solving

2 3.13%
  • INFJ: Awesome at logic and problem solving

5 7.81%
  • INFJ: Okay at logic and problem solving

7 10.94%
  • INFJ: I suck at logic and problem solving

0 0%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

wasn't mad..you silly thing...read that...haha
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

me neither, I just enjoy using strong words in any situation
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I guess if most ENFPs are awesome at logic then INTPs are just NFs with shitty social skills. But then, most of the ENFPs in here probably already figured that out..being so awesome at logic and everything.

haha! Well you will be better at logic than me, no doubt, but I promise I wont laugh when you come to work with your pants on backwards.

I luv INTPs.

MBTI
    eNFP

If there had been an option somewhere between "okay at logic" and "awesome at logic," I would have chosen that.

I do think I have a good facility with logic. I attribute a fair part of that to my education, but there is a natural propensity there as well...there had to have been fertile material to work with in the first place. That being said, it's primarily a Ti-type logic that I am able to use well. Te is definitely not in the forefront, though I've worked to develop it during my years on the job and can make good use of it when necessary.

I think the key here is that I don't seem to seek out logical puzzles and arguments (argument as in "reasoned discourse") to the same degree or in the same way as the NTs I know. I value logic and take care to use it well, and I enjoy it. However it's usually as a tool to help achieve some other end, not as an amusement in itself. And with the NTs I know best, it seems like something they automatically do, all day. They can't help but make categories, spot flaws in someone else's explanations, and delight in little puzzles. If it's useful for something else too, that's awesome, but it doesn't necessarily need to be. Does that seem correct?

autumn

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    INTPs beat me at pure logic too, for this reason. Not because they are better thinkers. They are just willing to go ABC and write the whole thing out, rather than constantly trying to put the problem in its simplest form.
    Erinavery's right, it was a well-articulated post. But your explanation of INTP-ENFP differences is incredibly shallow. For instance, you seem unaware of the importance of mental organization and detail in logical analysis. You can't say you suck at the first things but you're just as good at the latter as anybody. Thinking requires discipline.
    I don't wanna!

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Erinavery's right, it was a well-articulated post. But your explanation of INTP-ENFP differences is incredibly shallow. For instance, you seem unaware of the importance of mental organization and detail in logical analysis. You can't say you suck at the first things but you're just as good at the latter as anybody. Thinking requires discipline.
    I am aware of the importance INTPs place on these things in their approach, but I think you misunderstand ENFPs' approach. I suck at working with fine details because my natural approach to problems is from the top down. We're Ne dominant, so big picture thinkers, with very good thought organisation. Your idea that things need to have principles and frameworks is due to your Ti, but your thought organisation is from your Ne auxiliary. And your Si helps you accumulate data by reading through tonnes of stuff, something that I find annoying. The fact you rely on principles and frameworks means you are naturally less likely to step outside them. You tend to need the answer justified to you, rather than seeing how they might have justified it and working from there.

ENFPs have a definite advantage over your type in seeing connections and flaws in systems quickly. They have higher awareness of thought patterns. Less awareness of frameworks and principles, but a high awareness of consistency. I ignore the framework, not because I can't work within it, but because it is restricting.

For info, these are the function descriptions of my first three functions.

Ne: Seeing meanings and connections between contexts. Seeing what things could be. Noticing what is not said, and not in a system (filling in blanks, seeing the system).

Fi: Approaching problems by looking for their underlying truths. Noticing what is out of place. Considering the value of things. Looking for clarification and connection. (normally used for people stuff, but works quite well with logical systems too, I can debug code and see the mistakes in it faster than any INTP or INTJ I know. I actually found I have more attention to detail like mistypes than INTJs too.)

Te: Making systems more efficient. Creating structure and systems. Applying logic. Seeing consequences, boundaries, etc. (Normally just means I like simplifying problems, optimising my computer system, etc.)

I normally see the system. I figure out what it is based on, and what makes it tick. Then I simplify to a useful form that someone can read. If you catch me part way, the info is normally a mess. If you get me at the end the answer is right, easy to understand, and simple.

p.s. Maybe you should rephrase it to Ti requires discipline. Logic is just something you use; if you know how to use it, you use it. Problem solving is just something you do; you have a problem, you solve it.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INTJ

ENFPs have a definite gain over your type in seeing connections and flaws in systems quickly. They have higher awareness of thought patterns. Less awareness of frameworks and principles, but a high awareness of consistency.
    That, sir, is just silly. Ti is all about consistency. It is the function that spots inconsistency. Innit? And INTPs have the Ne as well.

I ignore the framework, not because I can't work within it, but because it is restricting.
    Restricting to what?

ENFPs have Te as third function, yeah? Which means it functions best in service of Ne/Fi. So...

Ne: Seeing meanings and connections between contexts. Seeing what things could be. Noticing what is not said, and not in a system (filling in blanks).
    Yeah

Fi: Approaching problems by looking for their underlying truths. Noticing what is out of place. Considering the value of things. Looking for clarification and connection. (normally used for people stuff, but works quite well with logical systems too, I can debug code and see the mistakes in it faster than any INTP or INTJ I know. I actually found I have more attention to detail like mistypes than INTJs too.)
    Then you, sir, are an ENTP.

Because that description of Fi is a description of Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    That, sir, is just silly. Ti is all about consistency. It is the function that spots inconsistency. Innit? And INTPs have the Ne as well.

Restricting to what?

ENFPs have Te as third function, yeah? Which means it functions best in service of Ne/Fi. So...

Yeah

Then you, sir, are an ENTP.

Because that description of Fi is a description of Ti.
    . I'm not an ENTP. Fi is way less directed and structured than Ti. And Ti people wouldn't feel the urge to kill me as often.

INTP can spot inconsistency really well, but way slower than ENFP. And on a different level. From experience, they see logical inconsistency on a very localised level. We see system inconsistency. We aren't set off if you misuse a word, or anything, or misstate a principle. We see round it. Correct you nicely if it matters.

yes, Te just picks up the loose ends.

p.s. I figured out what an INTJ is the other day. I'm in no way smarter than them. I'm not really smarter than INTPs either, in terms of usefulness.

Yes, some of my arguments were stupid. If I argue this stuff enough though, someone might meet me half way . You guys have a perspective of ENFP as a walkover in these areas. We're not and you have probably met a few in the course of your life, and thought anything but walkover. I'm not sure people always make the connection though between on here and what we are.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, some of my arguments were stupid. If I argue this stuff enough though, someone might meet me half way .
    Ah ha! That sounds like an ENFP. Welcome back!

You guys have a perspective of ENFP as a walkover in these areas. We're not and you have probably met a few in the course of your life, and thought anything but walkover. I'm not sure people always make the connection though between on here and what we are.
    Oh, no, ENFPs aren't a walk over.

There's an irritating unwillingness to draw conclusions, and an oddball willingness to draw bizarre conclusions that nonetheless end up being true in some fashion. Not walkovers, though.

For instance, it really seems hard to see how Fi would be useful for solving code problems. If you're judging good code to be morally valuable to you, and bad code to come from the devil, then okay, I can see it working. But that's an odd use of Fi.

If, say, you loved your job, and liked doing it well, then Ne would be attuned to practical details and Te could kick in some organisational thinking and assessments of what'll work and what follows... Ne for awareness, Te for practical solution, and Fi humming along in the middle feeling good about working hard and loving stuff. Something like that, I guess.

Buddy of mine is ENFP--big time ENFP, fun fun fun all the time--and also used to be a code jockey. He quit when he discovered the evil at the core of all multi-nationals. He still writes video games on his home PC for fun sometimes.

And anyway, just looking over your sig, you've got Te and Ti working, so there's your coding skill base. (Presumably.)

And any-anyway, I don't really know. I'm just making up stuff because that characterization of Fi sounded strange.

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

I am fairly handy at solving code problems. I am really good at spotting mistakes. Then I theorise a bizarre idea to solve my problem. Then I google my theory.

Sound like Ne to anyone?