Excessive indulgence in Se activities.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

what do you think of the estp shadow? how does it manifest itself? i've always hated estps, and perhaps this is why?

altho, i don't feel like i've ever embodied estp traits even when unhealthy, which i've been with disturbing frequency.

MBTI
    nnja
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EII

I think I have. Pretty scary, I think the negative version of any type would be.
    "Don�t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

[SIGPIC]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/evillinclinations/fortune45.gif[/SIGPIC]

...and yes, I'm still on about that...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    what do you think of the estp shadow? how does it manifest itself? i've always hated estps, and perhaps this is why?

altho, i don't feel like i've ever embodied estp traits even when unhealthy, which i've been with disturbing frequency.
    I do. Or at least I think I do. I tend to either not eat or continually eat...not like a meal...just continually chew on something (this is a problem I've had since a child...I like to chew on things when stressed which is why you should keep Twizzlers and gummy bears away from me). I don't do what I need to be doing. Instead, I spend an awful lot of time in either overwhelming sensory experiences (playing a game for very long hours, going for long walks through the busiest part of the city with music very loud until everything is a cacophony) or deprive myself of a number of sensory things (like a quiet room, little sound and light, mostly just sitting in the half-light not-thinking...just listening to the gears turn in my head). Sometimes I spend a lot of time sleeping or laying down.

I stop listening to the part of myself that says "Hey, how would this person feel if you did that to them?" and just do things without thinking the 50+ steps into the future I usually do.

Mostly, I get tired of being myself and try to get out of myself through the physical world. If I do it right, I can center myself by doing so, but whatever I'm doing has to be productive in order for that to happen.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w5
    Socionics
    INFx

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I've seen the term 'martyr complex' used to describe unhealthy INFJs. Could anyone describe this in detail? What are some other unhealthy traits to look out for with INFJs?
    I do lots of really stupid things that involve other people's well being looked out for with absolutely no concern for mine.

A tiny detail is when I have one cigarette left in my pack I'll give it out without thinking that I wont have one if I do. If you take that and multiple the situation a bit, I've done things like give people rides or food in situations where i get completely screwed because I'm left with nothing.

I even gave a friend a car because he could use one and ended up walking everywhere I went. Martyr complex is something that I wish i didn't have. But for the most part I can't help it.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    ALL OF THEM!
    hey...you can't help but love all the sweet INFJs who try to take care of you when they can barely take care of themselves!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    One

Unhealthy traits pretty much describe me during high school, e.g. now. It's like, I don't want to be this way, but I dislike it here so much. I can't wait to go away to college.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w5
    Socionics
    INFx

The fucked up part.
    I care about everyone and everything all the time. I want the best for all. But...
    I don't want to care. I even try really really hard NOT to care, but it doesn't work. So...
    My emotions are like a giant rock that I pull around everything. I keep trying to get rid of it, but it's chained to my leg and the only way to get rid of it is to cut off my leg.

It's kinda funny because I'm aware of my surrounding well enough to notice the little things like when someone needs a chair I usually notice first and they have it before they know they need it.

Do the rest of you guys do that?

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by Chimerical View Post
    The fucked up part.
    I care about everyone and everything all the time. I want the best for all. But...
    I don't want to care. I even try really really hard NOT to care, but it doesn't work. So...
    My emotions are like a giant rock that I pull around everything. I keep trying to get rid of it, but it's chained to my leg and the only way to get rid of it is to cut off my leg.

It's kinda funny because I'm aware of my surrounding well enough to notice the little things like when someone needs a chair I usually notice first and they have it before they know they need it.

Everything you mentioned sounds a little familiar, but,... Getting a chair for someone? By the time I get the idea to, someone else does it or the person finds one... haha.. I'm usually more aware of whats happening than what most pay attention to,... I just lack the ability to act on it... Mainly because I know someone would eventually find a chair, so... Meh!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

Quote Originally Posted by Chimerical View Post
    The fucked up part.

And when you cut off your leg, you realize that it isn't like getting a papercut.
    Last edited by Serendipity; 02-28-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Oops. I didn't really notice when it was created. Phew.
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari