User Tag List

Thread: book club!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default book club!

Lets start a book club to discuss some of our favourite reads...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

The Wave, about a societal experiment pertaining to the Nazi era.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Anentropic IxTx View Post
    The Wave, about a societal experiment pertaining to the Nazi era.
    I'm pretty sure I have actually watched or a movie (or was it a short film) on that before. I was fairly impressed but I'm sure the book does much more justice than the movie.

Oh and books are good

Currently reading:

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, basically a look at how we analyze a massive amount of information in a very short period of time to make split second decisions.

Just finished The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, great book. A lot of good life lessons crammed into that one.

And finally about to start Wuthering Heights due to having been enthralled by Pink's otherworldly beholding of it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The last book I read was The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It left me pretty weepy by the end. It's about a father and son who have survived an undefined global apocalypse, who are travelling south along an old highway in the hopes of finding some kind of salvation at the end.

McCarthy's writing style is bare-bones, eschewing a lot of punctuation and grammatical norms. It took me a few pages to "get" his style, but once it clicked, I couldn't put his stuff down.

He also wrote No Country for Old Men, which was another novel that profoundly affected me. If you've seen the movie, you get a general glimpse at the underlying themes and messages, but it doesn't quite touch the depths of the novel itself.
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I am in the midst of reading Cryptonomicon, I'll be sure to reply here again, when I'm through. I still have another 1,000 pages to go, though..
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by MrME View Post
    The last book I read was The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It left me pretty weepy by the end. It's about a father and son who have survived an undefined global apocalypse, who are travelling south along an old highway in the hopes of finding some kind of salvation at the end.

McCarthy's writing style is bare-bones, eschewing a lot of punctuation and grammatical norms. It took me a few pages to "get" his style, but once it clicked, I couldn't put his stuff down.

He also wrote No Country for Old Men, which was another novel that profoundly affected me. If you've seen the movie, you get a general glimpse at the underlying themes and messages, but it doesn't quite touch the depths of the novel itself.
    I've been thinking of picking up The Road for quite awhile now, glad to hear you enjoyed it.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I am in the midst of reading Cryptonomicon, I'll be sure to reply here again, when I'm through. I still have another 1,000 pages to go, though..
    Wow, I just did a quick google on that book and it looks like it has the potential it be a damn good read. From what you have read so far would you recommend it and what would you say the overall tone of the book is?