• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF-specific Tips for Type Identification in the Wild?

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
We INFPs chill out with books and mostly listen in conversation before speaking. My INFP bud I met sitting by herself in the library, asking her about her Stephen King book, and we got all into (blatantly Fi) topics based on fiction, talked about how we just loved these characters to pieces and wanted to hug them...and thus a friendship was born. Not a surprise at all when she took the test and got the same type as me. :D (I'm a wee bit more E than her, but I think she's got more T. So it evens out.)

ENFPs speak their mind, are creative, and have great Ne capabilities. Loyal, too. They make great friends and confidantes, and personally, they can always make me laugh. They have no desire to conform to anything.*

As for ENFJs, they tend to be the center of something, always doing five thousand things at once, and are great at being random and open about everything. They're people-people.*

(*based on own experience, might be off.)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ i like it. :)

G

garbage

Really, type identification to me becomes a function of how I act around them, since I tend to act differently around different people, whether or not I realize it. How I perceive them perceiving me, or how they act toward me, or how they act in general, also, of course, plays into it.

Time for a disclaimer. I'm just gonna lay my thoughts out there, from my perspective, as far as how certain traits tend to come across to me most of the time. No hard feelings intended. Most of these only apply to strong types, anyway, and these are by and large from a first impression of others. I know that traits that I hold will come across negatively to other types, and that doesn't bother me too much, because I can bend to accommodate them pretty easily if I need to :) Also, keep in mind that I don't use these tendencies to judge other peoples' characters.. I can get along with all types and recognize the benefit of each trait.

If I find myself acquiescing to their arguments or saying, "well.. that could be true," struggling to find middle ground between us :)steam:), or perceiving them as admirably decisive, somewhat closed-minded, or too structured and rigid? J.

If they understand me "naturally," without me consciously or subconsciously feeling the need to tailor my speech into some sort of sequence when I talk to them? N, or xNxP if this holds very true.

If we can muse about ideas and just jump from topic to topic without getting bored? xNxP, likely xNTP or ENxP. An ENTP and I can keep this up forever.

If I find that I end up having to console them in the short term but realize that they'll likely get over their issues the next day once they've had time to cool down or analyze their situation? F.

If I find that I can just shove my extroversion onto them without worrying about it? ExxP.

If I learn more about them through indirect rather than direct communication? I.

If they're a girl and they're all giggly and shy when I probe them with questions? INxP.

If they won't stop apologizing to me for things that I don't see as a big deal? INFP, possibly any other NF, too.

If they come across to me, from my initial perspective, as though they could be perceived as abrasive, direct, blunt, or insensitive by other people? T.

Thank you, and goodnight.

Last edited:

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's a good post. They both are. They all are.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
INFJ? There are a few types.... There's mine. If you ever see someone taking a random walk with headphones in, that might be an INFJ. Especially if it's only 1 or 2 routes and it happens at least once a week. It's great for clearing my head.

In conversations I think I've very vague sometimes, I speak in an almost mumble and have to repeat myself. They might bug someone until they're sure to have the person's attention before speaking. If it's a class they'll probably have some insight between topics of the discussion, sometimes ahead of the class.

Another indicator is the ability to be amiable one minute then, when around people they're comfortable with, act a lot like an ExxP. There is an intensity about them when they're focused on something. I kind of fall back in my mind when I focus on my music, I think the same happens to another INFJ I know.

INFPs... well a good indicator is an unusual wardrobe while still being reserved and having the artsy feel described before. A girl in my school has a unique wardrobe and gives me strong INFP vibes, she also can draw well.
( you can also assume Emo kids are INFPs or ISFJs :newwink: )

ENFPs speak their mind, are creative, and have great Ne capabilities. Loyal, too. They make great friends and confidantes, and personally, they can always make me laugh. They have no desire to conform to anything.

Mhm! The ENFPs I know are very open and warm, very open to new/weird ideas to see how they feel about them. They're my guinea pigs before using my ideas on other people :D

Stephen King book
:woot:

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think I need to re-identify the purpose of this thread: to use our uniquely "NF" talents/traits to help identify either other NFs or those of other types (vs. the purpose of this thread being how to identify NF types. :) ) For example, as an INFP how can I use Fi and Ne to help me accurately identify what type other people are?

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
On the note speculative brought up, I find that I can type people quickly since Ni gives vague vibes and Fe increases the push they have (Since it's about people)

I usually go off of eyes too, for me, they are a good indicator of type (Well, what their perceiving function is. IT's fairly haphazard which function I pick out from it). People with very piercing eyes (My science teacher - INFJ, and a classmate: ENxJ?) seem to be Ni. Their eyes seem to be able to bore a hole into any topic and find the core of it (I find that until I find that core of a topic, I'm clueless :D)

People with horribly calculating eyes (Always picking out inconsistencies) or downtrodden eyes (They seem constantly lost) seem to be Si showing itself. It's more subtle in INFPs than ESJs, granted INFPs seem to use it a lot more to connect with, or understand people while ISJs seem to use it for more picky things.

ENPs seem to have very mischievous eyes (ENTPs in particular, ENFPs have a more friendly type of sneakiness in their eyes that make it seem like they're winking without ever moving their eyes.)

ESPs seem to have a similar type of look in their eyes as ENPs but it's more calculating and focused more on finding opportunities and exploiting them rather than N's finding of ideas.

I hope that helped a little bit. it's kinda haphazard.