• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] INFP vs. ENFP reasons for needing time alone

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
After reading all these threads by people questioning if they're INFP or ENFP, I think part of the problem is us ENFPs confusing everyone by saying we also need time alone. I'm guessing we need it for way different reasons than INFPs do, but that distinction is never explained in any of the type descriptions.

Introverts say they need time alone to recharge after socializing. For me, it's more the opposite. If anything, I need to discharge some of my energy after socializing or I'll be too hyped up to sleep.

Here are a few other reasons I just came up with:

- To get away from boring people. If I'm not enjoying the people, socializing will wear me out - like it's too mentally taxing to pay attention to the crap they're saying.

- To process something I've just seen, learned, or experienced. Sometimes I have to stop taking in more external stimulation to deal with the stuff I've already gotten (no idea if that makes sense, but the ENFPs will probably get it.)

- To just be flat-out weird and hyper and not have to deal with anyone's reaction to it. This is the one I'm most curious about because it isn't talked about very much. Do any other ENFPs do this? Seems like "alone time" is associated with sitting quietly in your room, but my alone time can be driving fast and singly badly along with my radio or taking an impulsive weekend trip to Vegas.

ENFPs, what do you think? Why do you need alone time and what do you do when you get it?

Agreed on all three SPECIALLY the first. I try not to shun people who I find uninteresting when social interacting, but you can't expect me to that for 10 hours straight!

scattershot

MBTI Type
ENFP
I guess like blackcat says it makes sense because after too much time alone I feel restless and I need someone to expel energy with.

For the introvert while socializing he will feel relieved to let out his/her energy out, this is why some people act very extroverted but then mellow out. When introverts run out of this energy retained from being alone, they may get irritable and generally be in a bad mood (the same feeling extroverts get when they are alone for too long.)

Ok, that makes a hell of a lot more sense than saying someone gets drained by socializing and needs to recharge. I was always looking at it from more of an external standpoint, like you guys were being overstimulated by socializing and had to get away from it. Now I see that it's more like an internal "fuel tank" that gets expended and has to be recharged by being alone.

Thanks for those posts. I just got new insight into how people work, that makes me a happy ENFP. :D

autumn

MBTI Type
eNFP
Interesting... Extroverts have to be alone to discharge energy. I didn't think of it that way.

For you extroverts to understand, we probably get the same sensation while socializing. I am usually beat and want to sleep after I socialize. I really crave to socialize to let out all this energy I build up being alone, otherwise I will be over hyper and restless.

Ok, that makes a hell of a lot more sense than saying someone gets drained by socializing and needs to recharge. I was always looking at it from more of an external standpoint, like you guys were being overstimulated by socializing and had to get away from it. Now I see that it's more like an internal "fuel tank" that gets expended and has to be recharged by being alone.

Thanks for those posts. I just got new insight into how people work, that makes me a happy ENFP. :D

Awesome synthesis, BlackCat and scattershot. If this is so, it could really help me understand I/E so much better...I'll need time to think about it. ;D

autumn

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think almost every extrovert needs at least a tiny bit of time alone, just like almost every introvert needs at least a tiny bit of time with someone. I've only met one extrovert in my life who it seemed like never needed to be alone, only time she was alone when she was sleeping at. no matter what time of the day it was if one of her friends weren't over she was on the phone.

and boring people are draining no matter who you are.

and for me I do have people that aren't draining, that I can spend all day with and still not be exhausted but those are few and far between. average time I can spend with people before I get cranky and want to go off by myself is about three hours.

I guess like blackcat says it makes sense because after too much time alone I feel restless and I need someone to expel energy with.

i don't know if part of this was in response to what i said but if so ...i'll clarify. i said i never have that feeling of needing to get away and that's simply because all things naturally come to an end..you do eventually say goodbye to your friends...and go home...it's just that...i'm having fun the whole time and usually just leaving cuz it's late....not because i've had enough....but yeah....low tolerance for boring people...but luckily i find a lot of people interesting. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

OH! that's how i took it too! interesting...makes sense. what a great explanation!

scattershot

MBTI Type
ENFP
i'm having fun the whole time and usually just leaving cuz it's late....not because i've had enough

Yep - If I'm having a good time, I'll be the last one to leave. "Aw crap, the sun's coming up...I gotta go home and get ready for work." I've done that way too many times. :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i don't know if part of this was in response to what i said but if so ...i'll clarify. i said i never have that feeling of needing to get away and that's simply because all things naturally come to an end..you do eventually say goodbye to your friends...and go home...it's just that...i'm having fun the whole time and usually just leaving cuz it's late....not because i've had enough....but yeah....low tolerance for boring people...but luckily i find a lot of people interesting. :)

unless I quote you or mention your name I'm probably not responding directly to you.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well alright.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Now I see that it's more like an internal "fuel tank" that gets expended and has to be recharged by being alone.

Exactly - that's how I've often thought of it ... I have a certain amount of energy (if you think of it like water in a glass) and certain people (or types of interaction) drain it off faster than others. During awkward social gatherings, I often disappear for mini-recharge sessions (the bathroom for example can be a great place to hide for 10 minutes or so) and then am "topped up" for a bit more. If I am giving a presentation, I can "empty the glass" faster. So I bring a snack or a cup of tea to long meetings so the fuel of the food will be an extra brain boost when I want / need it.

Oh, I guess this makes me an "I" ...... ;)

LOL, I truly would love it if being around others made me feel super-buzzed.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so you found your answer...awesome. :)

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
:yes: How could any ENFP resist that?

Please tell me we'll invite the ESFPs - won't be a party without our mad cousins!

(Sorry PeaceBaby - nothing else relevent to add - but it sounds like you've made your mind up, so...I say we party)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Yep, I experimented with being an ENFP for a week or so (out of the last umpteen years of my life) ... dare say it felt a tad exciting to imagine it to be so.

It was a fun run, and educational, and mind-expanding - but I am happy to reclaim my "I" - you'll note now it's in my info. :)

Let's make it a pool party!!!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
love a pool party!! :D

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
hehehe, nekkid pool party.

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
(No one answered my plea for me to allow our crazy 'S' cousins along, so you know what? Screw you guys, I'm bringin' my ESFPs in the trunk!)

-Brings them in after a brief education in the ways of 'N'-