• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Procrastination: Not P

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ps purvey Procrastination? I'm not sure this is the case:

If someone is putting something off because they aren't sure they should do it, or they are indecisive, that seems like P.

If someone is putting something off because of a strong dislike of it, then that seems decisive, like J.

Traditionally in American culture what is portrayed as procrastination? Not doing homework, not taking out the trash, etc. These are all tasks that people put off because they are decidedly against doing them, not because of uncertainty. In fact, in popular culture I would say it's far more rare for procrastination to be portrayed as a function of indecisiveness. An example of this would be, I suppose, one of those made for TV movies where the high school kid isn't sure they want to go to college, but then they have a transformative experience of some sort and make up their mind to get their degree and pursue a career.

Thoughts, feelings, decisions, indecisions?

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a terrible procrastinator, but I do put things off mostly because of a strong dislike. Also I know in advance which tasks I'm most likely to put off, so I guess it is possible to have a Judging procrastination style.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Regardless of P/J, if we find an activity repulsive, we just will not want to touch it, period (ex- taxes, unless if a person's an accountant, of course they probably love crunching numbers). Just to be safe, if it HAS to be done, we get it done, no matter what.

If we expect too much or too little from something, we also tend to procrastinate on it.

Indecision to me, is due to either being in denial about what we want, or just not really knowing what we want (because we haven't really dealt with it yet). That's just what I see.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
It's not as you wish to describe it. Ps procrastinate because they don't wish to modify the subject of concentration according to a schedule. Js, though they are less prone to it, will procrastinate because something else of importance is on the agenda.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Js, though they are less prone to it, will procrastinate because something else of importance is on the agenda.

Yes but being disliked moves it below there spare time activities/having fun agenda until it becomes important and has to be done which is procrastinating.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't know, I guess Procrastination is too general to specify. I tend to procrastinate a lot, and, personally, I haven't grown too proud of it anymore, because it royally messes things up sometimes. I will have in my mind that something needs to be done, and will hesitate for no reason, which I do with just about every decision, and will have to force myself sometimes to carry out things. I tend to have the mindset that I'll only do things that I need to do, and when I need to do them, and just let everything else happen on its own.

redacted

I put things off even when I know I want to do them. It's anxiety that makes me procrastinate, not distraction, although I've developed mechanisms to distract myself from the anxiety...

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Eh, I procrastinate things that must be done because I want to do more fun things at the present moment.

Generally what makes me procrastinate something important is lack of interest/concentration, fatigue, etc. Generally though I don't tend to procrastinate too often.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My procrastination is due to doing things I'm not interested in doing, really. Don't know if that's P or not, I just know I have it in spades unfortunately. Very little patience to put up with things I don't like. That applies to pretty much everything actually.

I put things off even when I know I want to do them. It's anxiety that makes me procrastinate, not distraction, although I've developed mechanisms to distract myself from the anxiety...

Hail Mary ...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I procrastinate when I don't see much necessity in doing something right then. When it's actually necessary, and I'm causing myself more harm by not doing it, then it's crunch time and I'm able to kick things into gear. It can sometimes take me quite a while to get started on something, but once I get started, the ball starts rolling and I get some momentum. It's just that initial step - initially diving into something - that I'll often delay until I can't justify delaying it any longer. And yes, mostly because I don't want to do said action. If I want to do it, procrastination wouldn't even be an issue.

Example - researching for my trip that I'll be embarking on in less than 2 weeks. I got the library books the middle of last week. I didn't dive into the guidebook until Monday morning of this week, and I had to extricate myself from my apartment and go to a coffee shop so as to really do it - otherwise it wouldn't have happened. I'm procrastinating on it because I don't LIKE to deal with logistics, or have to think about logistics. It's just a bother to me. However once I started researching on Monday, I got a general idea of what I wanted to do, and feel good about it. Now I'm delaying on the next steps, which would be to look into a rental car, research ferries, figure out what's possible and what is not possible, logistically. All stuff that could be easily dealt with, if I felt like doing it, but I don't. Thus, I'm stalling.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Procrastination is a skill. If you don't do it right you mess up your goals. I think the key is to know when you can or can't get away with it and for how long.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Procrastination is a skill. If you don't do it right you mess up your goals. I think the key is to know when you can or can't get away with it and for how long.

I think I'd agree w/ that. You do have to be aware of your own skills/abilities, tendencies, etc, to do it properly.

I was rather a master of it on the job!

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
It all depends on how excruciatingly tedious and boring the task at hand was...

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I seem to be pretty good at remembering to do things I'm told to do on time whether I like them or not. But I've never been good at actually deciding to do something for myself and then sticking to it.

As far as I can tell... Ps procrastinate about things other people expect of them, and Js procrastinate about things they want but don't have to do. Which is why J is more valued. At least with Introverts. Don't know about EJs.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Eh, I procrastinate things that must be done because I want to do more fun things at the present moment.

Generally what makes me procrastinate something important is lack of interest/concentration, fatigue, etc. Generally though I don't tend to procrastinate too often.

Yeah me as well.

However, I only procrastinate things that I know I can finish at a later time. If I know I can't fit it in later - then I don't procrastinate. And if I misjudge and procrastinate but wind up not having the time - then I push myself hard to complete the task.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Both Ps and Js are prone to procrastination.

I procreastinate thoughh because I know I can live with the consequences. If I can't. i still procrastinate until i regain the energy to do what i want to do. Usually, the school system and work deadlines have no effect on me. I can skip work entirely and do whatever i want to do if i choose not to touch something that is urgent.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me procrastinating is a life style. I mean seriously, who wouldn't rather sit round watching DVD's with friends, than read boring research papers. Actually, I'd much rather read interesting research papers totally unrelated to my field for that matter.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
wow..so i've been wrong all this time.
i'm really surprised to find that even Js can procrastinate too! it's not only limited to Ps, and especially, INFPs ! ("i never finish project.." )
I used to think it's just a basic 'curse' for INFP, as i'm soooo overhwelmingly frustrated with how i kept procrastinating, no matter how much i've tried (i've even procrastinated by too-much browsing about procrastination, yet only little to NO REAL actions!) :(

wow.. so, all of us are prone to procrastinations , regardless of Types, isn't it?
but what about the STJ type ? I would think that they're probably the Type that would less likely to procrastinate. 'cuz they seems like a good 'Administrator' (and isn't that what they are?) , not just some idealistic or theoretical guys like many NF, or NT do.hehe

Sure, I agree too that sometimes , indeed, procrastination does help! and yes, it's a 'skill' too, for not being too damn 'rigid' & missing a lot of other things like for example: more important tasks, and FUN in life.

But when it comes down to procrastinating in reaching your own dreams/goals in Life , then that's where IMO, procrastination becomes really UNforgivable & damn frustrating, and even caused you a depressed state (been there, done that, many times) !
I've always felt down & depressed whenever I see my 'Life-progress-Notes' , seeing that although i've accomplished some things , yet i still accomplished verry little, even at the span of 4-5 years! :(
nothing is more depressing than that,..while still continue living your life in doing things you know you don't like, & having miserable life as a result.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

I totally agree with this, I think I've just, lately, come to senses with it, learning to only do things when I absolutely need to do them, but keeping a short glance at how it effects other things, if that makes sense, or relates to what you're saying.