User Tag List

View Poll Results: which one is more important when choosing a career?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Passion

10 24.39%
  • Talent

3 7.32%
  • if possible, combine Passion and Talent

26 63.41%
  • Money!

2 4.88%
  • Other considerations (pls explain below)

0 0%
123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default which one is more important: passion or talent?

when choosing a career.

for example: many people (if not every person) have told me that i'm very musically-talented, as i can play different musical instruments (i taught myself how to play guitar, bass-guitar, and drums. my main instruments is piano & keyboard), i can sing, dance. also compose, arrange in different type of songs like symphonic kind of songs, also pop, rock, R&B, even metal.
    i always hum the tunes, and i just have these 'creative juices' & big 'imaginations' for making up great music, and even dance routines.
    yet at the same time, i really just can't live a day without music, without humming-the-tunes, thinking about a song (music), and even without suddenly composing a song inside my head! (does this mean a passion too?)

but lately, other than music, i've been really reminiscence of my childhood dream: to become an Astronomer (especially after watching movie "Contact", and watching some of Carl Sagan's clips in Youtube), because i also looove to know about this Vast Universe, beginning of universe, & stuff like that!
    i even have known & read astronomical books ever since Primary school!
    but unfortunately, i don't think my analytical & care-to-details & math skills (which are important in the science field) are not that good, and especially very miniscule, compared to my "rare" vast music talents!
    so if this also means a passion (something i love to do),..then which one i should prioritize more?
    in Music, or career in Science (astronomy)?

I've often heard people say "pick a career that you'll enjoy doing" which seems like a Passion. But sometimes i think, isn't it supposed to be what you're good at doing (ie: talents, innate skills) , for a pick of your career ?

OR,
    is Money the most important thing (primary reason) when choosing a career???? (ie: high-paying career) , as what my parents would often force me to do..

need a help!
    i'm a bit confused here.
    and i need to quickly move-on, as i'm afraid 26 yrs old might already be a little bit too LATE to start things over again (even against my parents' approval!)
    thanks!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There tends to be overlap between talent and passion which goes both ways: people tend to be passionate about whatever they can do well, and people tend to increase skill at whatever they are passionate about.

I have seen plenty of people with intense career burnout and mental drain. This can even happen with career for which they once felt passion. A career consumes the majority of your life and time. There is some balance needed, but I tend to lean in the direction of the importance of having a sense of personal ownership and passion for the career you choose. It can require flexibility and imagination to figure out how to make whatever is most important to you into your career. It is important to find some way to work it out though. I can't imagine investing so much energy in something that is experienced as hum-drum and uninspiring.

Both careers you list are difficult. Both are quite competitive. Playing guitar can give you an edge for earning a living in a practical way. There is a lot of demand for guitar lessons. It's not a lot of money, but it is possible to eek out a living with performing and teaching. Astronomy is difficult in terms of getting established in academia. Music is also, but it does have that second, practical application in the community. It's also easier to teach guitar classes than other types of instrumental classes which can open the possibility for a little better per hour income. Also, guitar provides a variety of performance opportunities in bands and combos moreso than an orchestral instrument. There is basically no money in orchestral playing unless you can beat out extremely gifted competition. The supply-demand is not in the musicians favor for good orchestral posts. The Twin Cities MN area is actually pretty good for bands and combos to get work from what I understand. If you like teaching, you could major in secondary ed and take a double emphasis in physics and music. That way if one stands out as a preference, you can stay on the same educational track. High school kids respond best to certain types of personalities. I never considered mine to be a good match, so that is something to consider.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Passion. Talent means absolutely nothing if you don't bother to attune and use those skills related to your talents.

Then there are things that overlap between talent and passion. Where doing and improving something you're talented at awakens your passion for the activity. Generally, I think when this happens, you find yourself feeling incredibly satisfied.

Also, no one ever sticks with one career all their life. People bounce around at intervals to different things throughout their lives. And it's very important to do that, because it will allow you to expand your skill sets and find new things to learn. People change, as well. What may be satisfying for them now, might not be as satisfying for them later, or they might not be at the right "place" for doing certain things.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Hm, I think it is most important that whatever you do is fun for you. And having fun mostly means to have the talent AND the passion for it. It would make no sense (to me) if you would make something you have the talent for, but bores the crap out of your skull. And neither would it make much sense to do something you have the passion for, but no talents. Even if this would work better than "talent: yes - passion: no". Because you *could* learn. But if you don't it can be quite frustrating.
    Personally, I have experienced both of those things and in the end it failed; just because it is better to have some sort of balance between those things.

The money factor *could* play a role; especially if you have a family to feed or so; but personally I would rather pick a job with less payment and more fun / passion than vice versa. The money just doesn't really pay up for all the frustration or boredom.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    ENTP

Talent is passion plus time. Therefore, passion is most important. This is true in every dimension of life. Passion is the quintessence of life. Desire breaks through walls. Desire conquers. Desire lights you on fire. Without this fire you are an empty shell.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Harness a passion for your talents.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    There tends to be overlap between talent and passion which goes both ways: people tend to be passionate about whatever they can do well, and people tend to increase skill at whatever they are passionate about.
    Not with me.

I like the arts, I'm good at "humanities" (et relatable) and I'm walking the science path.

To answer the topic : passion. If you are going to dedicate your life to something you are good at but that gives you no enjoyment, you are not living life. Obviously your job is not everything in your life. And hobbies are important too...it really depends on the person.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Talent is passion plus time. Therefore, passion is most important. This is true in every dimension of life. Passion is the quintessence of life. Desire breaks through walls. Desire conquers. Desire lights you on fire. Without this fire you are an empty shell.
    Talent and passion are insignificant in comparison to willingness and knowledge of whose dick you need to suck in order to get that sweet sweet gig.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

talent.
    People rarely have it, so they'll say passion is the thing.
    If you have talent and find passion in doing things right and finding new perspectives you'll accomplish alot.
    If you just have passion, you'll never make up for the talent, whatever people want to believe.

The prevalence of talent is just an effect of our democratic era.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Talent and passion are insignificant in comparison to willingness and knowledge of whose dick you need to suck in order to get that sweet sweet gig.
    My philosophy is: suck your own dick.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."