• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] which one is more important: passion or talent?

which one is more important when choosing a career?

• Passion

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Talent

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • if possible, combine Passion and Talent

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • Money!

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other considerations (pls explain below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
though some field like music, talent can play a vital role and may be more important than passion.
But most fields talent can get you so far. At this point, it needs combination of both.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
thanks for all the replies, guys!
some great replies i've read!

maybe another related question from me, and this one i'm sure you must've also heard soo often:
okay, some of you said that passion is way much more important than talents.
while MANY of you said that talent also DO play very critical role in choosing my ultimate career!
and the last post by blancait even made it more obvious: talent is VERY important, especially in a field like Music! ..to which i have to agree too.

but here's the thing (& the question) :
i'm sure you've often heard (even from this thread alone) some people saying stuff like: "talent CAN be formed through a passion", basically, talent CAN be formed by how passionate, and determinedly, how HARD you're working at something repeatedly, over & over again.
but here's the ever-reoccuring question: is it true that "talents" really CAN be formed?
or it's just kinda : whether a person has 'it' , or not. as simple as that ?

I, for one, personally believe that yes, for a person initially to develop a certain talent, perhaps he/she needs to "find it out" by doing some works or practice in something!
for example: i don't think i'll ever know if i have such a huge musical talent (what many people often told me) if i didn't follow my childhood's piano-practice courses for about 4 years.
and maybe/perhaps indeed it's really related with PASSION after all!
because my two younger brothers also used to follow piano-practice courses (i owe BIG to my parents for this!) , BUT they QUIT not so long, obviously they probably didn't have that much/big passion in music as me.
so yes, in this sense, a 'talent' can probably get developed BECAUSE of a passion.

yet in some Real-life cases that i've seen,
there're so many 'frustrated' people who came to me & admitted that they've followed piano-courses & lessons, some even already for 7 years , yet they said they still can't be so as 'natural' as me , when it comes to music, no matter how hard or how much they've practiced or trained!
so yes, in this case, they DO have big passion in music (no doubt!?) , but unfortunately, they don't have that 'something' to catch up with their big passion.
does this 'something' means 'TALENT' ?..

or it's similar case with what , IMO, separates "good" preacher from "bad" preachers (or speakers).
especially "GREAT" preachers! it's like you could just 'know' about it instantly as he opens his mouth!

so i'm just basically confused,..is the concept of 'talent' even exist?
or it's just, as some quite-realistic & pragmatist & skeptics often said, a 'myth' ?
ie: "everybody CAN be good at ANYthing if they put serious works & efforts at it!" ? ..... or not?

what is ur opinion on this one, guys?
thanks.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I almost voted for the Passion/Talent combo.. but ultimately.. I figure if you've got enough of the internal drive for it, then, what you might have been lacking in intrinsic Talent, you'll develop in Skill over time. If you're truly driven enough. Passionate enough. Not to say that's easy.. but to me it's definitely most important.
That's probably the romantic/idealist in me talking...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I almost voted for the Passion/Talent combo.. but ultimately.. I figure if you've got enough of the internal drive for it, then, what you might have been lacking in intrinsic Talent, you'll develop in Skill over time. eventually get a job at whatever you think you love so much, pissing off people who are twice as good at it but since they're good at lots of things, don't commit to any one of them.
Fixed.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Well, there go my dreams.
It's Santori Time.

santori_perrinpost.jpg

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's Santori Time.

santori_perrinpost.jpg

Make it Suntory time.

Creepy... I just watched that movie for the first time ever a day or 2 ago.

...but yeah.. your more cynical take on passion/talent is probably more accurate...
That's no fun.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Passion can get you far, if you already have the necessary skills. No skill, or the ability to acquire them means your SOL. Skill without passion, is NT territory.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
when choosing a career.

for example: many people (if not every person) have told me that i'm very musically-talented, as i can play different musical instruments (i taught myself how to play guitar, bass-guitar, and drums. my main instruments is piano & keyboard), i can sing, dance. also compose, arrange in different type of songs like symphonic kind of songs, also pop, rock, R&B, even metal.
i always hum the tunes, and i just have these 'creative juices' & big 'imaginations' for making up great music, and even dance routines.
yet at the same time, i really just can't live a day without music, without humming-the-tunes, thinking about a song (music), and even without suddenly composing a song inside my head! (does this mean a passion too?)

but lately, other than music, i've been really reminiscence of my childhood dream: to become an Astronomer (especially after watching movie "Contact", and watching some of Carl Sagan's clips in Youtube), because i also looove to know about this Vast Universe, beginning of universe, & stuff like that!
i even have known & read astronomical books ever since Primary school!
but unfortunately, i don't think my analytical & care-to-details & math skills (which are important in the science field) are not that good, and especially very miniscule, compared to my "rare" vast music talents!
so if this also means a passion (something i love to do),..then which one i should prioritize more?
in Music, or career in Science (astronomy)?

I've often heard people say "pick a career that you'll enjoy doing" which seems like a Passion. But sometimes i think, isn't it supposed to be what you're good at doing (ie: talents, innate skills) , for a pick of your career ?

OR,
is Money the most important thing (primary reason) when choosing a career???? (ie: high-paying career) , as what my parents would often force me to do..

need a help!
i'm a bit confused here.
and i need to quickly move-on, as i'm afraid 26 yrs old might already be a little bit too LATE to start things over again (even against my parents' approval!) :(
thanks!

It may be a little obvious to say this but,... Just follow your heart.

sade

A combination would most likely be the best. Passion and talent fuel each other.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
A combination would most likely be the best. Passion and talent fuel each other.

That's a common J misconception.
Talent makes you very lazy. actually. :sleeping:

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
Laziness + talent also breeds ingenuity... It's a two-way street ;)

i'm really interested in what you said above.
could you perhaps explain more about this? :)

but i always remember though, that "Life rewards ACTIONS" . and if one is being lazy, then there'll obviously be less physical actions, and hence, it's all only in that person's mind, and NOBODY knows about it! so..it's useless?