User Tag List

View Poll Results: which one is more important when choosing a career?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Passion

10 24.39%
  • Talent

3 7.32%
  • if possible, combine Passion and Talent

26 63.41%
  • Money!

2 4.88%
  • Other considerations (pls explain below)

0 0%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    My philosophy is: suck your own dick.
    Well if it isn't The Hedgehog...

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    talent.
    People rarely have it, so they'll say passion is the thing.
    If you have talent and find passion in doing things right and finding new perspectives you'll accomplish alot.
    If you just have passion, you'll never make up for the talent, whatever people want to believe.

The prevalence of talent is just an effect of our democratic era.
    Well that's the whole point isn't it? What is "accomplishing alot"? To me is to be 40 and still be happy (or not completely depressed) about going to work everyday.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Well if it isn't The Hedgehog...
    I mean it metaphorically. Metaphorically suck your own dick, and mine too while you're at it.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I mean it metaphorically. Metaphorically suck your own dick, and mine too while you're at it.
    Well I think it'll be easier to suck somebody else's dick then your own...

Anyways, back on topic. Is talent really passion + time? I mean sure, you need to put in some time to discover where you talent lies (trial & error testing). But I think it's more innate than learnt. After all, you can be really good at something but hate doing it...
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Well I think it'll be easier to suck somebody else's dick then your own...

Anyways, back on topic. Is talent really passion + time? I mean sure, you need to put in some time to discover where you talent lies (trial & error testing). But I think it's more innate than learnt. After all, you can be really good at something but hate doing it...
    How were you able to do anything you know now? Did it emerge from nothingness fully formed? No, it was all intermediate steps.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    when choosing a career.

for example: many people (if not every person) have told me that i'm very musically-talented, as i can play different musical instruments (i taught myself how to play guitar, bass-guitar, and drums. my main instruments is piano & keyboard), i can sing, dance. also compose, arrange in different type of songs like symphonic kind of songs, also pop, rock, R&B, even metal.
    i always hum the tunes, and i just have these 'creative juices' & big 'imaginations' for making up great music, and even dance routines.
    yet at the same time, i really just can't live a day without music, without humming-the-tunes, thinking about a song (music), and even without suddenly composing a song inside my head! (does this mean a passion too?)

but lately, other than music, i've been really reminiscence of my childhood dream: to become an Astronomer (especially after watching movie "Contact", and watching some of Carl Sagan's clips in Youtube), because i also looove to know about this Vast Universe, beginning of universe, & stuff like that!
    i even have known & read astronomical books ever since Primary school!
    but unfortunately, i don't think my analytical & care-to-details & math skills (which are important in the science field) are not that good, and especially very miniscule, compared to my "rare" vast music talents!
    so if this also means a passion (something i love to do),..then which one i should prioritize more?
    in Music, or career in Science (astronomy)?

I've often heard people say "pick a career that you'll enjoy doing" which seems like a Passion. But sometimes i think, isn't it supposed to be what you're good at doing (ie: talents, innate skills) , for a pick of your career ?

OR,
    is Money the most important thing (primary reason) when choosing a career???? (ie: high-paying career) , as what my parents would often force me to do..

need a help!
    i'm a bit confused here.
    and i need to quickly move-on, as i'm afraid 26 yrs old might already be a little bit too LATE to start things over again (even against my parents' approval!)
    thanks!
    There are really a lot of different ways to approach this question. I would start by looking at the ACTUAL CAREERS you could have in both fields. Often times when people choose careers, they base their decision off of their exposure in books or classes, which is much different from the actual career. For instance, lots of people choose law school because they like analyzing problems and creating arguments. A legal career has that element, but most of the work time is spent doing other, less interesting, more laborious activities. You might like astronomy because you like wondering about stars and think they're neat. That's good, but is that really what the work will be like? (I'm sure the answer is NO.) Also, if that feeling fades, will there be something else that keeps you connected to your job?

Once you've identified the different possible careers, you could ask yourself 1) what will it take to get to that career? how hard will it be? how long will it take? how available is it? 2) how much would I enjoy that career, on a day-to-day basis? can I deal with the shitty and boring parts? can I get absorbed in it? will I get paid sufficient to sustain my standard of living? Asking these questions factors in passion and talent already.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Talent and passion are insignificant in comparison to willingness and knowledge of whose dick you need to suck in order to get that sweet sweet gig.
    SEXIST!!! What about eating the clam chowder??? --->

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

With enough talent, only a hint of motivation is required for success. While all the passion in the world won't necessarily get you anywhere, as far as a career is concerned.

Talent can also breed passion.

MBTI
    ENTP

People with passion and no talent are painfully annoying. See: first rounds of American Idol
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

I have been told I have talent but it is really my drive that has made me a decent artist. I don't think either is more important than the other. You need passion to get going and you need talent to finish the job.