User Tag List

First 123

Quote Originally Posted by felt up View Post
    Sorry, but I can't praise a film where blackface is the main attraction and no one seems to think there is anything wrong with it. If you can't tell the difference between the brilliance of Chappelle and the lackluster, "I'm a black dude, playing a dude" of Downey, then you couldn't truly understand my disgust. I do happen to think some racist humor is funny. Lisa Lampinelli is hilarious. Downey in blackface. Not funny.
    Unironic blackface and satirical blackface are two entirely different things. This isn't the same thing at all as "Mammy" or "Amos & Andy". Did you find Eddie Murphy's hilarious "Black Like Me" parody from SNL offensive?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    The Dark Knight

felt up - Benjamin Button is nothing Forrest Gump. Unless you mean a movie that takes place over the course of the life of a peculiar man.

I agree about Tropic Thunder not being funny although not really for the same reasons.

That Dark Knight...well...if you don't appreciate Batman/comics in the first place, the movie's draw is going to seem almost inexistent but it is a movie about a comic character so....but it's the best one ever made IMO. Plus it has that hint of Nolan magic that keeps you guessing.

There are too many scenes and scenerios I can compare to gump. The bloody thing is even written by the same screenwriter. Benjamin button had it's own Leit. Dan, bubba gump shrimp, meandering unrequited romance, even the scene where Forrest & Benjamin release themselves from their shackles - ben/old age, Forrest/contraption on his legs. The button movie tried too hard to manifest the whimsy and simple beauty of Forrest Gump, and just couldn't help comparing the two, scene-by scene as I viewed Button.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by felt up View Post
    There are too many scenes and scenerios I can compare to gump. The bloody thing is even written by the same screenwriter. Benjamin button had it's own Leit. Dan, bubba gump shrimp, meandering unrequited romance, even the scene where Forrest & Benjamin release themselves from their shackles - ben/old age, Forrest/contraption on his legs. The button movie tried too hard to manifest the whimsy and simple beauty of Forrest Gump, and just couldn't help comparing the two, scene-by scene as I viewed Button.
    Thing about "epics" is that they share a lot in terms of story structure. The movies have the same feel in terms of what they are trying to convey but I think they do it in very different ways. I'll admit though I try not to get too conscious of what is going on on-screen as far as it relates to similar stuff - I'll enjoy it for what it is.