First 4567 Last

Thread: infp mind set

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Nah I got some pretty good answers. It appears sw is just doing his thing. Attempting to be the authority on personality types and human behaviour without what appears to be much real world experience. I have no doubt that he is extremely intelligent and able to interpret theory brilliantly, but the truth is interpretations will be fruitless until one is able to come down from their tower and actually mix it up with us common folk. Its kind of like trying to appreciate sex based on definitions of physiological responses. Not really a good substitute for experience.

Not interpet, but structure my own. Many of the interpretations of Jungian typology contained sinister errors such as for instance the MBTI denotation of J, which shows that the only Judging types are the Extroverted Judging types. Clearly, judgment is both Introverted and Extroverted. It is also the case that Jung did not say all that needs to be said about typology. Hence, in order to get satisfactory results with regard to this subject one cannot merely interpret theory, whether the theory is Jung's or that of the current writers. One must do his own thinking.

If it is a good theory, it shall be confirmed by empirical investigation. Granted that the empirical investigation has been conducted properly. If in theory you say that if you drop a stone from a high building, it will fall, and if it is a good theory, there is no reason at all why when you go to test this out, the stone will not fall from the building.

I also had plenty of experiences with INFPs. I am around them all the time and have been for the past few years. But I hope that you will wish to have more of such experiences than I do after you have had some of them.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I was wondering what in others can bring out your mean or aggressive side? Please don't just say a violation of your principles without stating what those particular principles are.
    Basically, a negative evaluation of my performance (i.e. in school, at work or just my general life direction/philosophy) can directly translate to a criticism of my inherent sense of identity. Depending on the circumstances, it is like that I either completely withdraw from the situation, or lash out. As far as I can remember, my worst reactions have been to sharply curse at that person (except with my older brother, in which case we may physically fight.) Afterwards, however, I will probably feel guilty. This behavior be a result of the amount of self-criticism I create for myself. When, I hear any sort of negative analysis, real life examples include, "just try harder," or "you're really not that ambitious," it only reaffirms my numerous inner critiques, which can be too much to bear at times.

A key factor in understanding this behavior could be that the only scenarios during which such an event may arise is perhaps when sharing a store pent up feelings to someone whom I feel I can trust. If that person shows any sort of insensitivity towards my self-revelations, it's very offensive and embarrassing. In a situation where I feel slighted in that manner, I'll become cold, quickly just closing myself off from that person and leaving the situation, or say something rude that may even surprises me.

It's likely that after any of these events, I'll come and apologize to you for behaving so irrationally. Also, it might be good to note that this sort of behavior certainly isn't limited to INFPs. It seems logical that no one takes well to being ignored. However, perhaps it's very typical of INFPs to over personalize forms of advice, etc.

MBTI
    INFP

I have a brother who is also an ENTJ and although he doesn't understand what I do, he realizes that I'm trying to make my way in the world and that works for him. As for the philosophy part, you have to have a very open mind and accept them as they are to discuss any of the ideas, because to us, they are true until we find a reason to fine tune them further. As for what makes us mean or aggresive, it is anything that is not ideal. We live for a perfect world, and are trying to live as if that world is already here, and wish for others to do the same, but will not force you to even if we don't like it. When we get mean or aggresive we are basically saying, "why don't you want to be as perfect as you can."

MBTI
    infp

I hate when people have selective humanity.

I hate when people will only respect you after you put them in their place.

I hate when women try to impose their own oppression upon younger females.

I hate when people treat you kindly one on one, but try to throw you under the bus in larger groups.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Salvadorabian View Post
    I hate when people will only respect you after you put them in their place.
    classic example: I'm just relaxing and cruising around, you suddenly put your feet on my dash or light up a cigarette after I sweetly told you "no", RAWR!!! I can't be held responsible for what happens to you after that... -rubber squeelin', doors flyin' open- ... lol wish I was kiddin'

Must be some crazy IXXP thing. It's like, don't violate the things I hold dear or I might bite. I'm pretty calm otherwise...

Of course, I know you meant something a little less severe, but those are just the most precious memorable moments, lol. awww :redface:
    No doubt my friends respect me after that. Never happens again. Yeah, we're still friends.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Under extreme stress INFPs can become like a lot like ESTJs: totally insensitive -- to the extent of being mean

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    Under extreme stress INFPs can become like a lot like ESTJs: totally insensitive -- to the extent of being mean

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'm rather mean & snappy on a regular basis, but it's in this moody, under breath sort of way. I am not snow white walking through the woods, singing to all the woodland creatures. When I have stress, my moodiness & tendency to lose my temper get worse of course.

A few examples...

My ESFP sister & I fight about stupid, petty stuff all the time. Mainly, she devalues my perspective, which I cannot stand to have done to me. I don't like when someone makes no effort to see what someone else is saying just because they say it in a different way (in my case, heavy on the metaphor and theoretical angle - which she hates).

I also don't like being told what to do in a demanding sort of way. I'm kind of anti-authority and strong authority will bring out my rebellious streak. On the job, people always asked me to do stuff, never told me, because I managed to intimidate them wordlessly (I believe someone called me "surly" once). There's a cold chill I can give off when annoyed (& sometimes my reservedness is misinterpreted as aloof, in which case I don't mean to seem cold). That's much more likely than an outburst for me unless we're talking close family/friends.

On the other hand, there are people who see me as mostly nice & sweet. It really depends on what mood they've caught me in & how well they know me.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Tools that don't work and no real way to get them fixed before the next update kills them all again.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Be a hypocrit, bully or downright mean/rude and be it near me so i cannot ignore you or use it to judge and hurt someone I care for.

If you're smart..you'll run right after you've gotten the result you were curious about.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”