User Tag List

123 Last

Glycerine

Default How do INFPs intuit things about people compared to INFJs and Vice Versa?

Both types seem highly intuitive about people but I'm curious about what each type's strengths and weaknesses are in relation to reading people? What are the differences?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4,5?
    Socionics
    INFp

hmm
    i think the ability to read other people is more or less the same for both types, though i think infjs are more... thorough?
    but i don't really know what that means. or what it entails, rather.

what are the differences?!!!

ooooh i really hope infps and infjs start posing here because just the topic of behavioral pattern recognition and intuiting peoples'... everythings is something i would much like to understand better.

k somebody post something that makes sense.
    So you were born, and that is a good day.
    And someday you'll die and what a shame.
    But somewhere in the between, theres a life in which we all dream,
    And nothing and no one will ever take that away.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None

Interesting question considering they get their abilities "to read people" from different places altogether it seems, from dominant right to inferior:

The INFJ is: IN, EF, IT, ES
    The INFP is: IF, EN, IS, ET.......hahaha, they're just a little e.t., not a lot.....

INFJ's have a stronger introverted intuition, whereas the INFP's have a stronger introverted feeling. So on the one hand you have an empath almost capable of seeing things happen before they happen and on the other, one that is able to understand peoples feelings and ideals very quickly. The INFJ's ability is almost supernatural, and the INFP's is from a tuning so fine, no other type can feel it. By supernatural I mean, they've deducted several personality traits and characteristics as readily as the person entered the room, without even questioning them, like a mentalist or psychic, jumping from point a to point g, without explaining b,c,d,e,or,f, and then giving a response based on their feelings. By fine tuning, I mean an ability to process and read someones emotions with the same speed, however giving a response from a place of expressing intuition of that persons feelings.

Almost the same response, expressed in a completely different way. The INFJ's intuition is second nature and readily available in all matters all the time unlike any other, whereas the INFP's understanding of feelings is second nature as they are primarily interested in the ideal behind the object, and so read out of the person (infp) not into (infj). If that makes sense.

By all means disagree with me, but that's what the data seems to indicate.
    Last edited by paisley1; 01-14-2009 at 05:49 PM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

Very well said paisley1! So right about the INFP aspect it's not even funny, but these things do come naturally to you, you INFJ.

As an INFP, I feel like I also use my Si to relate the situation or person, whatever it is to situations that I've already experienced, which will then feed my Ne again causing me to consider new possibilities about the subject at hand. I even feel that my Te kicks in sometimes as it lends me attention to detail.

Hooray omniscience!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None

Dear Hakuna,

I would just like to say, matata.

kudos.....(improper usage)....,
    paisley1

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4,5?
    Socionics
    INFp

paisley1:
    i have a significant concentration of infps in my life and have been curious about understanding / putting into words everything that you understand and put into words.
    your conclusions about people reading (or knowing) coincide with my observations and experiences and that makes me feel good.

thank you.
    So you were born, and that is a good day.
    And someday you'll die and what a shame.
    But somewhere in the between, theres a life in which we all dream,
    And nothing and no one will ever take that away.

MBTI
    INFJ

paisley1 is completely right about jumping from a to g and bypassing b,c,d,e, and f. Unfortunately, though, in order to convince other people that g is correct, you have to learn how to go back and recreate your intuition through observation and logic. It can be very frustrating and I think that a lot of INFJs (myself included) tend to even doubt themselves until they can figure out the reason behind their intuitive leap.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I can't really compare my people reading to anyone except my mom, who is INFJ. I don't think I have done this with any other INFJ. We have occationally had many conversations about people we both know and of some people who she knows. I don't see really that big difference in the way we talk about them.. this might be because I have learned this from her anyways. She used to talk with me about this kind of stuff a lot when I was a kid. I think I always had more "scientific" way to approach it. It's like if she gave some example, I would think about some theories I had read about and then she would continue from there. She was very logical with this also, but there is something there that is about "just knowing".

The most obvious difference between us is that from time to time she comes off as very judgmental. I don't know if this is an aspect of the way she reads people or is it just her being judgmental. One time we were talking about self-actualization and she'd say something like "For some people, there is no option, they never even had the chance to be better" and I was more like "Why would it be impossible for anyone to change now so that they started living a whole different life" and she said something like "Yeah, sure, but that's very unlikely". Maybe this is because she is the kind of person who really tries to help people be more themselves. Me, on the other hand, I believe in the person's own ability to change. So, I don't plan on changing anyone.

I might have gone off topic by now, I'll shut up...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None

I thought of saying this in my first response but didn't, I'd place the INFJ's introverted intuition as an immediate deductive response, and the INFP's introverted feeling as an inductive response; to a person, for example, just entering a room. The INFJ's response, is probably faster because they start at answer g and then go back to f,e,d,c,b,a to confirm answer g as correct. The INFP would start at a, and then induce b,c,d,e,f to confirm answer g as correct. INFJ's may get lost in the backtrack, but the answers always seem so self evident. INFP's build layers of fine complexity, that I, as an INFJ, find riveting and fascinating as well as long winded, drawn out, and sometimes boring. The difference between listening to a prophet speak about things that there is seemingly no evidence to support, and a writer who is painting a picture with words. This has happened you just don't realize it yet, vs., this might happen through these people's feelings and actions and this series of events. Nathan the prophet vs. William Shakespeare.

The INFJ's introverted thinking, IT or Ti if you will, is like a button that must be pressed a lot, not so much for yourself, but for the world around you so they can understand you. If the INFJ isn't pushing themselves and pushing that Ti button they're lost in defining themself and the world around them. It may be a tertiary function of the INFJ, but read books, be informed, stay on top of concepts and systems, and try not to get lost in the details. Fortunately my mom is an INTP, and did nothing but push my buttons for defining and answering all the time, and we truly frustrated each other as I made wild leaps that always needed clarification. A usual conversation was "But mom, why do I need to explain myself when I know the answer?" followed by "SHOW YOUR WORK DAMNIT, you're too smart for your own good!" (In typical INTP style)

As far as doubting myself, I think that's one of the reasons I'm here. I constantly feel alone (not lonely) in my ability, as no one gets it. Does that explain anyone here?

Wow, Jakuwhat, that really inflates my ego, I'm grateful to have moved you, and in the words of Steve Smith from Red Green, "Keep your stick on the ice, we're all in this together!"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by paisley1 View Post
    Interesting question considering they get their abilities "to read people" from different places altogether it seems, from dominant right to inferior:

The INFJ is: IN, EF, IT, ES
    The INFP is: IF, EN, IS, ET

INFJ's have a stronger introverted intuition, whereas the INFP's have a stronger introverted feeling. So on the one hand you have an empath almost capable of seeing things happen before they happen and on the other, one that is able to understand peoples feelings and ideals very quickly. The INFJ's ability is almost supernatural, and the INFP's is from a tuning so fine, no other type can feel it. By supernatural I mean, they've deducted several personality traits and characteristics as readily as the person entered the room, without even questioning them, like a mentalist or psychic, jumping from point a to point g, without explaining b,c,d,e,or,f, and then giving a response based on their feelings. By fine tuning, I mean an ability to process and read someones emotions with the same speed, however giving a response from a place of expressing intuition of that persons feelings.

Almost the same response, expressed in a completely different way. The INFJ's intuition is second nature and readily available in all matters all the time unlike any other, whereas the INFP's understanding of feelings is second nature as they are primarily interested in the ideal behind the object, and so read out of the person (infp) not into (infj). If that makes sense.

By all means disagree with me, but that's what the data seems to indicate.
    A fantastic description, which accords well with my own knowledge and experiences of both INFJs (mostly myself!) and INFPs (various friends and my father). I further discern the presence of your tertiary Ti in formulating such clear and logical descriptions.

Oh, I've just read your later post where you discuss this. I didn't have the benefit of a Ti role model like yourself (my family is pure F) but I am a scientist, so I got to develop my Ti during my studies. Also I live with an ENTP, so there are plenty of examples there for me to learn from.

BTW, I've been asked if I'm psychic so often, I've given up trying to explain how my Ni works. Now when someone asks I simply reply: "Yes, I am!". It saves a lot of time and seems to make people happy!
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush