User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 76

  1. #41
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    This has been a very enlightening thread. Thanks everyone for sharing. Since we are pretty much all INFs here, I'm going to allow myself to get alittle 'airy-fairy' and long-winded.

    I can sometimes intuitively visualize emotions, almost as if they were physical objects. It's really hard to explain.. the best I can do is to describe them as having a string-like consistency, and usually they are intertwining with other emotions, rapidly moving along and 'slippery'. It's as if I could grab onto them to feel them, but never really be able to fully grasp them. Emotions don't always have the same feel, look, color, or brightness. They move with various speeds, some intertwine less with others, while others actually bend and fold upon themselves in insanely complicated pretzel like patterns. (The latter I tend to associate with INFJs.)

    Sometimes I don't get the 'string-like' feeling at all, but something more akin to a rock. My ISTJ grandfather was like that; a huge but impenetrable pile of emotions.

    My intuition is used largely to extrapolate and imagine possibilities. How would this person react to such and such? My intuition becomes greedy and wants to explore. I end up asking alot of questions if someone really interests me, or if I want to understand the emotion better. Metaphorically, I am reaching a hand out to 'feel' the emotion. It's all about studying and learning about what's going on underneath the surface. I'll even go as far as to create a archetype of someone in my head, and ask it questions, because for some crazy reason it actually can help me understand some things better.

    My thinking and detailed oriented side come into play by analyzing and experimenting with details in the real world. It's probably the side of me that makes me ask people questions I already know the answers to, simply to see how they word their responses, or to see if they are lying. Once they answer, I put a check on my clipboard, and move on. How did they react when I challenged an idea? Did they maintain eye contact, lean in closer or pull away? *checks clipboard* They laughed just alittle bit too hard at that joke. *makes a note to explore this later*

    I often find that I pick up certain details in the moment, but don't add them up until later when I'm reflecting and digesting everything. Then, suddenly, I realize that the person was probably lying to me, or that the girl was actually flirting with me. Oops!

    One final thing... INFPs can be very good at pretending to be other types, I think, because of our understanding of emotions. For example, ESTJ emotions often come across as sleek, shiny, hard, and thin to me. Oftentimes sharp, too. If I were to take the bundle of my emotions, and straighten and stretch them out a bit... perhaps set a couple of tangles off to the side, I can approximate ESTJ bahavior for a bit. I force my skin to become a bit thicker, I go into the situation knowing what I want, and I psych myself up a bit to do more social interaction that I normally would. Eventually, though, I tire out and go back to being my normal INFP self.

  2. #42
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    This has been a very enlightening thread. Thanks everyone for sharing. Since we are pretty much all INFs here, I'm going to allow myself to get alittle 'airy-fairy' and long-winded.

    I can sometimes intuitively visualize emotions, almost as if they were physical objects. It's really hard to explain.. the best I can do is to describe them as having a string-like consistency, and usually they are intertwining with other emotions, rapidly moving along and 'slippery'. It's as if I could grab onto them to feel them, but never really be able to fully grasp them. Emotions don't always have the same feel, look, color, or brightness. They move with various speeds, some intertwine less with others, while others actually bend and fold upon themselves in insanely complicated pretzel like patterns. (The latter I tend to associate with INFJs.)

    Sometimes I don't get the 'string-like' feeling at all, but something more akin to a rock. My ISTJ grandfather was like that; a huge but impenetrable pile of emotions.

    My intuition is used largely to extrapolate and imagine possibilities. How would this person react to such and such? My intuition becomes greedy and wants to explore. I end up asking alot of questions if someone really interests me, or if I want to understand the emotion better. Metaphorically, I am reaching a hand out to 'feel' the emotion. It's all about studying and learning about what's going on underneath the surface. I'll even go as far as to create a archetype of someone in my head, and ask it questions, because for some crazy reason it actually can help me understand some things better.

    My thinking and detailed oriented side come into play by analyzing and experimenting with details in the real world. It's probably the side of me that makes me ask people questions I already know the answers to, simply to see how they word their responses, or to see if they are lying. Once they answer, I put a check on my clipboard, and move on. How did they react when I challenged an idea? Did they maintain eye contact, lean in closer or pull away? *checks clipboard* They laughed just alittle bit too hard at that joke. *makes a note to explore this later*

    I often find that I pick up certain details in the moment, but don't add them up until later when I'm reflecting and digesting everything. Then, suddenly, I realize that the person was probably lying to me, or that the girl was actually flirting with me. Oops!

    One final thing... INFPs can be very good at pretending to be other types, I think, because of our understanding of emotions. For example, ESTJ emotions often come across as sleek, shiny, hard, and thin to me. Oftentimes sharp, too. If I were to take the bundle of my emotions, and straighten and stretch them out a bit... perhaps set a couple of tangles off to the side, I can approximate ESTJ bahavior for a bit. I force my skin to become a bit thicker, I go into the situation knowing what I want, and I psych myself up a bit to do more social interaction that I normally would. Eventually, though, I tire out and go back to being my normal INFP self.

    Your post has definitely resonated with me. Even though I am most likely iNFj, the things you mentioned (in bold) are ionsome of the things that I do on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Glycerine; 01-16-2009 at 01:58 PM.

  3. #43
    Member jaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4,5?
    Socionics
    INFp
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    This has been a very enlightening thread. Thanks everyone for sharing. Since we are pretty much all INFs here, I'm going to allow myself to get alittle 'airy-fairy' and long-winded.

    I can sometimes intuitively visualize emotions, almost as if they were physical objects. It's really hard to explain.. the best I can do is to describe them as having a string-like consistency, and usually they are intertwining with other emotions, rapidly moving along and 'slippery'. It's as if I could grab onto them to feel them, but never really be able to fully grasp them. Emotions don't always have the same feel, look, color, or brightness. They move with various speeds, some intertwine less with others, while others actually bend and fold upon themselves in insanely complicated pretzel like patterns. (The latter I tend to associate with INFJs.)

    Sometimes I don't get the 'string-like' feeling at all, but something more akin to a rock. My ISTJ grandfather was like that; a huge but impenetrable pile of emotions.

    My intuition is used largely to extrapolate and imagine possibilities. How would this person react to such and such? My intuition becomes greedy and wants to explore. I end up asking alot of questions if someone really interests me, or if I want to understand the emotion better. Metaphorically, I am reaching a hand out to 'feel' the emotion. It's all about studying and learning about what's going on underneath the surface. I'll even go as far as to create a archetype of someone in my head, and ask it questions, because for some crazy reason it actually can help me understand some things better.

    My thinking and detailed oriented side come into play by analyzing and experimenting with details in the real world. It's probably the side of me that makes me ask people questions I already know the answers to, simply to see how they word their responses, or to see if they are lying. Once they answer, I put a check on my clipboard, and move on. How did they react when I challenged an idea? Did they maintain eye contact, lean in closer or pull away? *checks clipboard* They laughed just alittle bit too hard at that joke. *makes a note to explore this later*

    I often find that I pick up certain details in the moment, but don't add them up until later when I'm reflecting and digesting everything. Then, suddenly, I realize that the person was probably lying to me, or that the girl was actually flirting with me. Oops!

    One final thing... INFPs can be very good at pretending to be other types, I think, because of our understanding of emotions. For example, ESTJ emotions often come across as sleek, shiny, hard, and thin to me. Oftentimes sharp, too. If I were to take the bundle of my emotions, and straighten and stretch them out a bit... perhaps set a couple of tangles off to the side, I can approximate ESTJ bahavior for a bit. I force my skin to become a bit thicker, I go into the situation knowing what I want, and I psych myself up a bit to do more social interaction that I normally would. Eventually, though, I tire out and go back to being my normal INFP self.
    im an infj i find i can relate to a good majority of what you've written here though i feel i perceive things sometimes much more abstractly and find the process difficult to express in words. you really created a functional/vivid description. i'm very aware of when people are 'lying' and how to 'pretend' to be more like another type.
    thanks for laying it out so concisely.
    it shows me how similar infj and infp types behave. and how much i don't understand my cognitive processes.

    something i've been wondering now though.
    everything in your description i've experienced to some extent and it's a constant part of my life and seems to resonate with a lot of other infjs and infps alike.
    do other people (non infs or nfs i suppose) ever glimpse what's going on in our inner worlds?
    or is that why we're seen as so so out there an aloof by the masses?
    i feel like i should be able to come to conclusion being an infj and experiencing this myself but maybe someone else's take will open a new door.

    erm. thanks. please.
    pleeeease help me understaaaannnd.

    edit: good thing the simultaneous but quicker than me poster bolded the intuition explanations. that's really the stuff that i related to most. and confirmed how much we all agree about so many flippin things and communicate and theorize so well. made me realize i think i love everyone a little bit more.
    Last edited by jaku; 01-15-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: an infj/p
    So you were born, and that is a good day.
    And someday you'll die and what a shame.
    But somewhere in the between, theres a life in which we all dream,
    And nothing and no one will ever take that away.

  4. #44
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IDK123 View Post
    Your post has definitely resonated with me. Even though I am most likely iNFp, the things you mentioned (in bold) are ionsome of the things that I do on a regular basis.
    I notice you are also 9w1. I wonder if some aspects of my description hit on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by jakuwhat View Post
    do other people (non infs or nfs i suppose) ever glimpse what's going on in our inner worlds?
    Generally no. Sorry.

    I've had luck with some ESTPs and ENTPs, though. ENTPs are more likely to talk about it, but ESTPs still sometimes sense something deeper and can appreciate the unique ways it shows itself.

    I'd also wonder about ISFJs... I've had enough experience to make me wonder, but never have been able to explore it.

    However, I've never had any luck with ISTPs, ISFPs, ESTJs and ISTJs.

  5. #45
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    I'm very good at pattern recognition, which I suppose is extraverted intuition. I'm also extremely good at extrapolating said pattern.
    I don't know Fi comes into it so much, except I am a human antenna when it comes feelings. I receive and transmit the feelings subconsciously. I don't even know I'm doing it unless I catch myself.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #46
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I notice you are also 9w1. I wonder if some aspects of my description hit on that.
    Oops, I meant to say I was iNFj, haha. Anyways, the Enneagram angle would be worth looking into. I bet you got something there.

  7. #47
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jakuwhat View Post
    im an infj i find i can relate to a good majority of what you've written here though i feel i perceive things sometimes much more abstractly and find the process difficult to express in words. you really created a functional/vivid description. i'm very aware of when people are 'lying' and how to 'pretend' to be more like another type.
    thanks for laying it out so concisely.
    it shows me how similar infj and infp types behave. and how much i don't understand my cognitive processes.

    something i've been wondering now though.
    everything in your description i've experienced to some extent and it's a constant part of my life and seems to resonate with a lot of other infjs and infps alike.
    do other people (non infs or nfs i suppose) ever glimpse what's going on in our inner worlds?
    or is that why we're seen as so so out there an aloof by the masses?
    i feel like i should be able to come to conclusion being an infj and experiencing this myself but maybe someone else's take will open a new door.

    erm. thanks. please.
    pleeeease help me understaaaannnd.

    edit: good thing the simultaneous but quicker than me poster bolded the intuition explanations. that's really the stuff that i related to most. and confirmed how much we all agree about so many flippin things and communicate and theorize so well. made me realize i think i love everyone a little bit more.
    haha, eerie! A little INFJ mind reading going on there...

  8. #48
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Going further into this, with the abitity to "read people", do you guys have the dilemma of feeling someone else's emotion so strongly that you think that you have become that person and you just feel like you are going to "explode"?

  9. #49
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IDK123 View Post
    Going further into this, with the abitity to "read people", do you guys have the dilemma of feeling someone else's emotion so strongly that you think that you have become that person and you just feel like you are going to "explode"?
    It's happened before, I can mostly deal with their emotions when I take them on to understand someone. The worst was when I was helping my friend through her rape crisis.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  10. #50
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    It's happened before, I can mostly deal with their emotions when I take them on to understand someone. The worst was when I was helping my friend through her rape crisis.
    :/ sorry to hear that. What a good friend! I have this dilemma a lot w/ my teachers, friends, and family.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] how do you guys go about giving zero F*&#s about what people think of you?
    By jcloudz in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 05-07-2016, 11:24 AM
  2. How do you find things to talk about?
    By baccheion in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 06:45 PM
  3. [JCF] INFPs- how do you perceive things?
    By sculpting in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 01:11 PM
  4. What do y'all think about "people search" tech?
    By Totenkindly in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 04:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO