User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 76

  1. #21
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    I've mentioned this before, but there was one distinct time in my life where I thought I "intuited" someone's "vibe", if that's what you want to call it. He was a new manager where I worked during high school, and when I was introduced to him I had an incredible urge to either punch him in the face or run away. Something about him was threatening, yet there was no evidence to support this 'feeling' of mine. I don't know whether this is closer to the INFP or the INFJ type of intuition, though- if they can even be divided into two distinct types.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  2. #22
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    OK, now I'm really spooked! I just got back from my lunchbreak, which I spent in the local mall. I was browsing in a bookshop when I felt drawn towards a corner I never usually explore.

    Staring at me on the shelf was a huge hardback book with the title "TSUNAMI". Sure enough, it was all about the 2004 tsunami, literally minutes after our discussion here! When I opened the book it immediately fell open on a page discussing how a large tsunami could strike without warning in many locations around the world, possibly with even more casualties than in 2004.
    I hope you are wrong with this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Genesis View Post
    The problem for me is that I typically read people off of the vibes that they're sending, making it a very black and white situation, so occasionally Iíll be mistaken. Itís difficult for me to trust my intuition anymore, unless itís a situation where it only affects me.
    Hmm... I think it is anything but black and white for me. When I get a feeling from a person through intuition, I usually start thinking about why would they feel that way and how probable it is. Before I know it I am adapting to the feeling somehow. I very rarely actually do something in the normal sense "doing things", it is more like a slight change of attitude. In more dramatic cases I might prepare for something that might happen, for example, I often pay attention to someone who seems like he might get violent.

  3. #23
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I've mentioned this before, but there was one distinct time in my life where I thought I "intuited" someone's "vibe", if that's what you want to call it. He was a new manager where I worked during high school, and when I was introduced to him I had an incredible urge to either punch him in the face or run away. Something about him was threatening, yet there was no evidence to support this 'feeling' of mine. I don't know whether this is closer to the INFP or the INFJ type of intuition, though- if they can even be divided into to distinct types.
    Yeah, I meant this kind of feeling when I told about people who creep me out. They are very rare, but there are people who seem ... somehow off. I have wondered if they are psychopaths (lack of emotions would explain the "weird vibe" since I expect that I feel vibes all the time from normal people, they just aren't so obvious to enter my consciousness), but I came to no definite conclusions since I don't want to hang out with them...

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    OK, now I'm really spooked! I just got back from my lunchbreak, which I spent in the local mall. I was browsing in a bookshop when I felt drawn towards a corner I never usually explore.

    Staring at me on the shelf was a huge hardback book with the title "TSUNAMI". Sure enough, it was all about the 2004 tsunami, literally minutes after our discussion here! When I opened the book it immediately fell open on a page discussing how a large tsunami could strike without warning in many locations around the world, possibly with even more casualties than in 2004.

    At this point, I got one of those unmistakable Ni tingles down my spine; for me these are usually the hallmark of a genuine Intuition rather than a mere coincidence. :eek:
    Hmm, that is spooky. I had something similar happen to me. One time when I was walking through the aisles in the video store, one particular movie seemed to jump out at me. It was an older movie that I had never heard of, so I looked at it, and thought maybe I'd rent it later. That same night, my mom told me to come and see this movie on t.v. that was one of her favorites. Sure enough, it was the same movie.

  5. #25
    Senior Mugwump Apollanaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yeah, I meant this kind of feeling when I told about people who creep me out. They are very rare, but there are people who seem ... somehow off. I have wondered if they are psychopaths (lack of emotions would explain the "weird vibe" since I expect that I feel vibes all the time from normal people, they just aren't so obvious to enter my consciousness), but I came to no definite conclusions since I don't want to hang out with them...
    I get those vibes, too. There was a guy at my old workplace who was very nice on the surface and seemed well-liked by everyone, but who totally creeped me out! Every time he came near my skin crawled and I got the distinct impression that what he was thinking was anything but nice...brrrr!

    He still sends me the odd greeting card here in NZ and although the cards have a slight flavour of creepiness, it is greatly reduced by having him on the other side of the planet (still not far enough away as far as I'm concerned!).
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

    "A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

    And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

    - Kate Bush

  6. #26
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I've mentioned this before, but there was one distinct time in my life where I thought I "intuited" someone's "vibe", if that's what you want to call it. He was a new manager where I worked during high school, and when I was introduced to him I had an incredible urge to either punch him in the face or run away. Something about him was threatening, yet there was no evidence to support this 'feeling' of mine. I don't know whether this is closer to the INFP or the INFJ type of intuition, though- if they can even be divided into two distinct types.
    I have had this type of experience to the point where I just wanted to run away from the person. He was pretty oblivious to it. haha

  7. #27
    Senior Mugwump Apollanaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I hope you are wrong with this...
    So do I! I am an optimistic person by nature (Enneagram type Nine if that means anything to you) and generally dislike "Prophets of Doom". However, premonitions relating to disasters involving water have been with me since early childhood, when I frequently used to dream of a huge tidal wave swamping everything.

    On reflection, it's entirely possible I'm picking up vibes from the global collective unconscious relating to worries over global warming and the consequences of rising water levels. It is well within the normal remit of Ni to do this type of thing.

    As an aside, a close ENFP friend recently took her MBTI certification here in NZ. Her trainer told her not to worry about passing the exam as in his experience, all NFs have some ability to tap into the collective unconscious. She ended up acing the test, much to her surprise. BTW the trainer was also an INFJ (cue spooky music....)
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

    "A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

    And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

    - Kate Bush

  8. #28
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    However, premonitions relating to disasters involving water have been with me since early childhood, when I frequently used to dream of a huge tidal wave swamping everything.

    On reflection, it's entirely possible I'm picking up vibes from the global collective unconscious relating to worries over global warming and the consequences of rising water levels. It is well within the normal remit of Ni to do this type of thing.
    Makes me wish that intuition was more accurate... hmm... or less accurate...

  9. #29
    Senior Mugwump Apollanaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    550

    Default

    It's only in recent centuries that intuition was relegated to the sidelines. In ancient times, wars were fought, religions founded and empires rose and fell because of the visions of a few. Many Ni or Ne-dominant types with a proven track record became highly respected members of society purely for their intuitive gifts alone, whereas today it would be because of their perceived concrete accomplishments.

    Just because intuition is largely discounted in our current rational society (though there are numerous indications that this is starting to change) does not discount the power of Ni or Ne to change society. In fact, it may even enhance the effect, since repressed functions tend to go underground and gain much in the way of pure force in the process. However, repressed functions are also highly dangerous because they get mixed up with the Shadow-side of human nature.

    Some examples of Shadow-Ni might include the invention of the Atomic Bomb on the INTJ side of the spectrum, or the rise in pseudo-gurus, magical thinking and weird cults at the INFJ end.

    Ne has an easier time of it (for ENTPs at least) since it has numerous applications in sport (did you know that many top tennis players are ENTPs because of their intuitive ability to guess where the ball is going?), business (see "The Apprentice" TV show for numerous examples of yet more ENTPs) and politics (Barack Obama also fits the profile of a well-deveoloped ENTP).

    [Hmm, not sure where all this stuff is coming from, but the recent threads I've been part of seem to have stimulated a sort of Ni-driven stream-of-consciousness in me.]

    All this probably makes Ni the most repressed of all the type functions in modern Western society (the East knows better). Very dangerous indeed, since Ni probably has the greatest power of all to change society for good or ill. Ni-types have a hard enough time adapting to the world even when we are more-or-less accepted. Under repression, many INJs inevitably fall into dysfunction or even psychosis, with all the consequences that entails.

    For those of us who haven't succumbed in that way, it is still incredibly frustrating to be gifted with vision and insight and yet to have those abilities constantly discounted, dismissed or sidelined throughout our lives. The pursuits, careers and goals we are "supposed" to aspire to in the West just do not cut it for us. Sadly, I suspect it will be long after I am gone before the pendulum swings the other way and Ni can once again take its appropriate place in an enlightened society.

    Phew, that was quite a rant! Are we done now? Yes? OK, goodnight everyone!
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

    "A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

    And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

    - Kate Bush

  10. #30
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    It's only in recent centuries that intuition was relegated to the sidelines. In ancient times, wars were fought, religions founded and empires rose and fell because of the visions of a few. Many Ni or Ne-dominant types with a proven track record became highly respected members of society purely for their intuitive gifts alone, whereas today it would be because of their perceived concrete accomplishments.

    Just because intuition is largely discounted in our current rational society (though there are numerous indications that this is starting to change) does not discount the power of Ni or Ne to change society. In fact, it may even enhance the effect, since repressed functions tend to go underground and gain much in the way of pure force in the process. However, repressed functions are also highly dangerous because they get mixed up with the Shadow-side of human nature.

    Some examples of Shadow-Ni might include the invention of the Atomic Bomb on the INTJ side of the spectrum, or the rise in pseudo-gurus, magical thinking and weird cults at the INFJ end.

    Ne has an easier time of it (for ENTPs at least) since it has numerous applications in sport (did you know that many top tennis players are ENTPs because of their intuitive ability to guess where the ball is going?), business (see "The Apprentice" TV show for numerous examples of yet more ENTPs) and politics (Barack Obama also fits the profile of a well-deveoloped ENTP).

    [Hmm, not sure where all this stuff is coming from, but the recent threads I've been part of seem to have stimulated a sort of Ni-driven stream-of-consciousness in me.]

    All this probably makes Ni the most repressed of all the type functions in modern Western society (the East knows better). Very dangerous indeed, since Ni probably has the greatest power of all to change society for good or ill. Ni-types have a hard enough time adapting to the world even when we are more-or-less accepted. Under repression, many INJs inevitably fall into dysfunction or even psychosis, with all the consequences that entails.

    For those of us who haven't succumbed in that way, it is still incredibly frustrating to be gifted with vision and insight and yet to have those abilities constantly discounted, dismissed or sidelined throughout our lives. The pursuits, careers and goals we are "supposed" to aspire to in the West just do not cut it for us. Sadly, I suspect it will be long after I am gone before the pendulum swings the other way and Ni can once again take its appropriate place in an enlightened society.

    Phew, that was quite a rant! Are we done now? Yes? OK, goodnight everyone!
    That was well put. Sometimes it's like point in having Ni? However, in the end, I am thankful for it.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] how do you guys go about giving zero F*&#s about what people think of you?
    By jcloudz in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 05-07-2016, 11:24 AM
  2. How do you find things to talk about?
    By baccheion in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 06:45 PM
  3. [JCF] INFPs- how do you perceive things?
    By sculpting in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 01:11 PM
  4. What do y'all think about "people search" tech?
    By Totenkindly in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 04:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO