User Tag List

123 Last

beyondaurora

Lightbulb Fi vs. Fe: What do YOU really feel?

This is going to be difficult for me to articulate, so I apologize in advance.

I have found recently that I 'feel' a certain way because I should 'feel' that way based on the factors involved in a situation.

I realize that these 'feelings' are very superficial (hence the apostrophes around the words feel and feelings) and may not truly represent how I indeed feel. Furthermore, I may not even know what I feel.

Example: My mother was abusive and negligent. My siblings and I were taken away. How do I feel about that?

The truth is, I don't feel much of anything, but based on the circumstances, if someone asked me how I felt about the situation, I would say 'well, she was abusive and negligent!' as though those factors alone (without any interpretation by me) embody 'feeling'.

Another example: The man at the Taco Bell at which I regularly frequent calls me 'honey'. He's nearly the same age as I, and I am infuriated (though I never show it) each time he does this. Why?

Because he has no right to call me honey; I am not in an intimate relationship with him!

I have begun to think that this is Fe at work (versus Fi). What are your thoughts?

MBTI
    INFP

Exactly. Fe is pretty logical. This happened. This is what should have happened, based on all that I have learned in life thus far. Therefore, I believe such-and-such.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Seconded. Sounds like Fe to me. Relevance? None.

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Seconded. Sounds like Fe to me. Relevance? None.
    It may be irrelevant to you, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant to others.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think it's more Fe, simply because Fe generally is based on established and defined relationships -- what is appropriate.

This guy is doing something that is inappropriate (based on your perception of the Fe lexicon and his relationship with you), so it irks you. He's violating you, according to your perceived rules of engagement.

Fi would probably look more directly at the man's inner motivations and any warmth he's connecting with you with, from the inside-> out... rather than from the outside->in (what rules he is or is not following).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    It may be irrelevant to you, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant to others.
    ^More Fe. (And it's irrelevant to everyone, in every context I can imagine as a reason for your interest.)

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    ^More Fe. (And it's irrelevant to everyone, in every context I can imagine as a reason for your interest.)
    If someone better understands themselves or others by means of relating to my personal examples and the subsequent insights of other forum members, then it is not irrelevant. It is amazing to me that you cannot at least see that.

disregard and Jennifer - thank you for your thoughtful responses.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    If someone better understands themselves or others by means of relating to my personal examples and the subsequent insights of other forum members, then it is not irrelevant. It is amazing to me that you cannot at least see that.
    If, indeed. It's never happened though, and it never will.

MBTI
    INFP

I can be quite dense at times, so eh, would someone like to explain to me what Jack Flak was saying when he said irrelevant, and whom was he seconding?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I can be quite dense at times, so eh, would someone like to explain to me what Jack Flak was saying when he said irrelevant, and whom was he seconding?
    Seconding you, and what's irrelevant is whether something is Fi or Fe, unless the concern is abstract, and academic. I'm sure it's not in this case.