User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    79

    Default The INFJ "Sense of Rightness" ... practically a super power

    The INFJ's "Sense of Rightness," about which much is written, is if anything understated. As an INFJ, I'm here to tell you, everything that is written is absolutely true.

    Our intuition is so strong, so ever-present, so pervasive, that we really do rely upon it above all else. It is accurate so often that we trust it more than we trust any other input into our choices. It speaks to us from an early age, so we are very comfortable with it.

    But ... here are the problems. First, "intuition" is the capacity to leap to an accurate conclusion based on fragmented, incomplete data. If the data itself is inaccurate, our "rightness" is likely to be off, no matter how powerful our intuition. And we have no mechanism for parsing this: we "feel" just as "right" when our original information is bad as we do when it is good.

    Second --- we can deeply misinterpret the "Sense of Rightness," in terms of what it is. I have a close friend who's an INFJ, who has the "Sense of Rightness" and relies on it utterly ...

    ... and thinks it is God's voice.

  2. #2
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    I'm not really sure how to respond, as I don't rely on my intuition above all else, and I don't really look favorably upon those who have such an utter sense of 'rightness' that they have become oblivious to other data pointing otherwise, or simply ignore other input period. I think it's a very unbalanced INFJ who would rely solely on intuition without utilizing other functions, like Ti for example, to provide some critical thinking and analysis to the Ni, and more of a framework. To assess the Ni-developed conception itself. (other functions too, not just Ti)

    I agree 'rightness' will be off if the data is inaccurate or incomplete, so that would be something for the INFJ to keep in mind. But really what you are talking about is Ni -- so INTJ would have the exact same tendencies.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    INFJs seem great at telling whether someone has good intentions or not, I'll give you that. (But I'm sure you know about good intentions.)

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I'm not really sure how to respond, as I don't rely on my intuition above all else, and I don't really look favorably upon those who have such an utter sense of 'rightness' that they have become oblivious to other data pointing otherwise, or simply ignore other input period. I think it's a very unbalanced INFJ who would rely solely on intuition without utilizing other functions, like Ti for example, to provide some critical thinking and analysis to the Ni, and more of a framework. To assess the Ni-developed conception itself. (other functions too, not just Ti)

    I agree 'rightness' will be off if the data is inaccurate or incomplete, so that would be something for the INFJ to keep in mind. But really what you are talking about is Ni -- so INTJ would have the exact same tendencies.

    I completely agree that it is a negative and unfortunate tendency of INFJs who rely deeply on their intuition, that they often shut out meaningful and useful data when they shouldn't ...

  5. #5
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    The INFJ's "Sense of Rightness," about which much is written, is if anything understated. As an INFJ, I'm here to tell you, everything that is written is absolutely true.

    Our intuition is so strong, so ever-present, so pervasive, that we really do rely upon it above all else. It is accurate so often that we trust it more than we trust any other input into our choices. It speaks to us from an early age, so we are very comfortable with it.

    But ... here are the problems. First, "intuition" is the capacity to leap to an accurate conclusion based on fragmented, incomplete data. If the data itself is inaccurate, our "rightness" is likely to be off, no matter how powerful our intuition. And we have no mechanism for parsing this: we "feel" just as "right" when our original information is bad as we do when it is good.

    Second --- we can deeply misinterpret the "Sense of Rightness," in terms of what it is. I have a close friend who's an INFJ, who has the "Sense of Rightness" and relies on it utterly ...

    ... and thinks it is God's voice.
    o
    I have the opposite problem. I question my intuition way too much in orde to verify if it's correct or not (using concrete facts, other people's input, observations, etc.) that I become indecisive.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    143

    Default

    What do you want to bet that the guy who wrote this is an INFJ?






    Oh, he apparently also stole some material not only from God but other writer's as well.

  7. #7
    Senior Mugwump Apollanaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IDK123 View Post
    o
    I have the opposite problem. I question my intuition way too much in orde to verify if it's correct or not (using concrete facts, other people's input, observations, etc.) that I become indecisive.
    Me too! Maybe it's got something to do with our shared Enneagram typing (Nines are notoriously indecisive). I imagine that the "INFJ sense of rightness" would be a lot stronger in a Type One, for example.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

    "A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

    And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

    - Kate Bush

  8. #8
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Works View Post
    What do you want to bet that the guy who wrote this is an INFJ?






    Oh, he apparently also stole some material not only from God but other writer's as well.
    haha probably. Aren't many crackpot religious leaders INFJs?

  9. #9
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I'm not really sure how to respond, as I don't rely on my intuition above all else, and I don't really look favorably upon those who have such an utter sense of 'rightness' that they have become oblivious to other data pointing otherwise, or simply ignore other input period. I think it's a very unbalanced INFJ who would rely solely on intuition without utilizing other functions, like Ti for example, to provide some critical thinking and analysis to the Ni, and more of a framework. To assess the Ni-developed conception itself. (other functions too, not just Ti)

    I agree 'rightness' will be off if the data is inaccurate or incomplete, so that would be something for the INFJ to keep in mind. But really what you are talking about is Ni -- so INTJ would have the exact same tendencies.
    *nods* It's always a good idea to take a step back and examine the situation to figure out just what exactly made Ni jump to a particular conclusion. It's my belief that Ni never leaps blindly. It's always based on some sort of pattern. However the said pattern might not be immediately obvious. For example while I'm conversing with a person, sometimes my Ni will suddenly start screaming something isn't right here. If I take some time to think about it, then almost always I can figure out why Ni acted up. It is at this stage where you can analyze whether the "facts" as you know them are indeed correct. That way you're less likely to err.

    If you have the time, always consider all possibilities before acting on the Ni intuition.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

  10. #10
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    The INFJ's "Sense of Rightness," about which much is written, is if anything understated. As an INFJ, I'm here to tell you, everything that is written is absolutely true.

    Our intuition is so strong, so ever-present, so pervasive, that we really do rely upon it above all else. It is accurate so often that we trust it more than we trust any other input into our choices. It speaks to us from an early age, so we are very comfortable with it.

    But ... here are the problems. First, "intuition" is the capacity to leap to an accurate conclusion based on fragmented, incomplete data. If the data itself is inaccurate, our "rightness" is likely to be off, no matter how powerful our intuition. And we have no mechanism for parsing this: we "feel" just as "right" when our original information is bad as we do when it is good.

    Second --- we can deeply misinterpret the "Sense of Rightness," in terms of what it is. I have a close friend who's an INFJ, who has the "Sense of Rightness" and relies on it utterly ...

    ... and thinks it is God's voice.
    Hmm, yeah I really try to keep a lid on this for the reasons listed.

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I'm not really sure how to respond, as I don't rely on my intuition above all else, and I don't really look favorably upon those who have such an utter sense of 'rightness' that they have become oblivious to other data pointing otherwise, or simply ignore other input period. I think it's a very unbalanced INFJ who would rely solely on intuition without utilizing other functions, like Ti for example, to provide some critical thinking and analysis to the Ni, and more of a framework. To assess the Ni-developed conception itself. (other functions too, not just Ti)

    I agree 'rightness' will be off if the data is inaccurate or incomplete, so that would be something for the INFJ to keep in mind. But really what you are talking about is Ni -- so INTJ would have the exact same tendencies.
    I completely agree.

    An unbalanced INFJ, who bangs on about being right is like nails down a chalkboard for me. (Even when they are right!) It is alienating for others and I prefer to build warm relationships. For me it's about picking and choosing when to be vocal about when you think you're right. I actually don't much care for the concept of being right at the expense of most everything else though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    Me too! Maybe it's got something to do with our shared Enneagram typing (Nines are notoriously indecisive). I imagine that the "INFJ sense of rightness" would be a lot stronger in a Type One for example.
    I think there is a large difference in this sense between INFJ who are Type 1, who I imagine would almost define their lives by this sense of right and wrong and INFJ of other Enneagram type.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] Self-Image of the INFJ
    By bronson in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 11-30-2014, 03:01 AM
  2. [INFJ] INFJ: Do you consider finding the perfect relationship #1 of your priorities?
    By jcloudz in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 11:16 AM
  3. [INFJ] INFJs, your sense of humor
    By CuriousFeeling in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-24-2010, 10:31 AM
  4. [INFJ] Making sense of my INFJ friend.
    By Snow Turtle in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 05:43 PM
  5. [INFJ] "The Secret World of the INFJ"
    By weakshadeofblue in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-13-2009, 04:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO