User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default The INFJ "Sense of Rightness" ... practically a super power

The INFJ's "Sense of Rightness," about which much is written, is if anything understated. As an INFJ, I'm here to tell you, everything that is written is absolutely true.

Our intuition is so strong, so ever-present, so pervasive, that we really do rely upon it above all else. It is accurate so often that we trust it more than we trust any other input into our choices. It speaks to us from an early age, so we are very comfortable with it.

But ... here are the problems. First, "intuition" is the capacity to leap to an accurate conclusion based on fragmented, incomplete data. If the data itself is inaccurate, our "rightness" is likely to be off, no matter how powerful our intuition. And we have no mechanism for parsing this: we "feel" just as "right" when our original information is bad as we do when it is good.

Second --- we can deeply misinterpret the "Sense of Rightness," in terms of what it is. I have a close friend who's an INFJ, who has the "Sense of Rightness" and relies on it utterly ...

... and thinks it is God's voice.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I'm not really sure how to respond, as I don't rely on my intuition above all else, and I don't really look favorably upon those who have such an utter sense of 'rightness' that they have become oblivious to other data pointing otherwise, or simply ignore other input period. I think it's a very unbalanced INFJ who would rely solely on intuition without utilizing other functions, like Ti for example, to provide some critical thinking and analysis to the Ni, and more of a framework. To assess the Ni-developed conception itself. (other functions too, not just Ti)

I agree 'rightness' will be off if the data is inaccurate or incomplete, so that would be something for the INFJ to keep in mind. But really what you are talking about is Ni -- so INTJ would have the exact same tendencies.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Banned
    MBTI
    type

INFJs seem great at telling whether someone has good intentions or not, I'll give you that. (But I'm sure you know about good intentions.)

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I'm not really sure how to respond, as I don't rely on my intuition above all else, and I don't really look favorably upon those who have such an utter sense of 'rightness' that they have become oblivious to other data pointing otherwise, or simply ignore other input period. I think it's a very unbalanced INFJ who would rely solely on intuition without utilizing other functions, like Ti for example, to provide some critical thinking and analysis to the Ni, and more of a framework. To assess the Ni-developed conception itself. (other functions too, not just Ti)

I agree 'rightness' will be off if the data is inaccurate or incomplete, so that would be something for the INFJ to keep in mind. But really what you are talking about is Ni -- so INTJ would have the exact same tendencies.

I completely agree that it is a negative and unfortunate tendency of INFJs who rely deeply on their intuition, that they often shut out meaningful and useful data when they shouldn't ...

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    The INFJ's "Sense of Rightness," about which much is written, is if anything understated. As an INFJ, I'm here to tell you, everything that is written is absolutely true.

Our intuition is so strong, so ever-present, so pervasive, that we really do rely upon it above all else. It is accurate so often that we trust it more than we trust any other input into our choices. It speaks to us from an early age, so we are very comfortable with it.

But ... here are the problems. First, "intuition" is the capacity to leap to an accurate conclusion based on fragmented, incomplete data. If the data itself is inaccurate, our "rightness" is likely to be off, no matter how powerful our intuition. And we have no mechanism for parsing this: we "feel" just as "right" when our original information is bad as we do when it is good.

Second --- we can deeply misinterpret the "Sense of Rightness," in terms of what it is. I have a close friend who's an INFJ, who has the "Sense of Rightness" and relies on it utterly ...

o
    I have the opposite problem. I question my intuition way too much in orde to verify if it's correct or not (using concrete facts, other people's input, observations, etc.) that I become indecisive.

MBTI
    INTP

What do you want to bet that the guy who wrote this is an INFJ?

Oh, he apparently also stole some material not only from God but other writer's as well.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by IDK123 View Post
    o
    I have the opposite problem. I question my intuition way too much in orde to verify if it's correct or not (using concrete facts, other people's input, observations, etc.) that I become indecisive.
    Me too! Maybe it's got something to do with our shared Enneagram typing (Nines are notoriously indecisive). I imagine that the "INFJ sense of rightness" would be a lot stronger in a Type One, for example.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Works View Post
    What do you want to bet that the guy who wrote this is an INFJ?

Oh, he apparently also stole some material not only from God but other writer's as well.
    haha probably. Aren't many crackpot religious leaders INFJs?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

*nods* It's always a good idea to take a step back and examine the situation to figure out just what exactly made Ni jump to a particular conclusion. It's my belief that Ni never leaps blindly. It's always based on some sort of pattern. However the said pattern might not be immediately obvious. For example while I'm conversing with a person, sometimes my Ni will suddenly start screaming something isn't right here. If I take some time to think about it, then almost always I can figure out why Ni acted up. It is at this stage where you can analyze whether the "facts" as you know them are indeed correct. That way you're less likely to err.

If you have the time, always consider all possibilities before acting on the Ni intuition.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post

Hmm, yeah I really try to keep a lid on this for the reasons listed.

I completely agree.

An unbalanced INFJ, who bangs on about being right is like nails down a chalkboard for me. (Even when they are right!) It is alienating for others and I prefer to build warm relationships. For me it's about picking and choosing when to be vocal about when you think you're right. I actually don't much care for the concept of being right at the expense of most everything else though.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    Me too! Maybe it's got something to do with our shared Enneagram typing (Nines are notoriously indecisive). I imagine that the "INFJ sense of rightness" would be a lot stronger in a Type One for example.
    I think there is a large difference in this sense between INFJ who are Type 1, who I imagine would almost define their lives by this sense of right and wrong and INFJ of other Enneagram type.