• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs: Are you good at keeping in touch with people?

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm pretty bad at it, too, although if I happen to run into someone from my past I find it really easy to fall back into our old relationship, even if it's just for the one conversation.

Facebook definitely helps, though. Sometimes I find myself randomly thinking about someone from my past, and the ability to look the up and send them a quick note makes me feel better about having lost touch in the first place.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Haha. Can you please elaborate on that, please? ;)

You know, 'I know we can grow up and evolve together even if we broke up 4 freaking years ago. let's stay friends and insist on seeing each other'.
Yet will act like you don't really exist most of the time. (don't take me wrong, I don't give a fuck about it, but it's just wierd)
Will be sure to use elaborate schemes not to 'make you feel under pressure'.

and that's just for starters.

entps are not designed to commit damn it.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm very non-initiative and usually don't try to stay in contact if we don't see eachother everyday or if you (someone... anyone) make me feel safe or something. Honestly, it always feels weird to just stay in touch with someone if I don't really have anything in common with the person in question at that moment. If I don't have anything in common then I would probably want to have figure out some sort of plan (ala intj-style) of what to talk about.

And well, Eck. I can be a stalker 24/7, loosing grip of reality because I feel so goofy and safe around that person. I might stay in touch with him/her extra much because that person creates a source of refillment of socialenergy or something (energy overall). A problem is though that I usually spend time staying in touch with only 1 person at the time wich may exhaust that person I'm staying in touch with, and makes me socially uncomfortable coming out of a comfort zone I just created and working so hard to sustain. This makes me seem weird to extraverts.

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
I profoundly suck at it, though I hate losing touch with past friends. I always try to reconnect, but fail miserably at keeping it up.

Thank goodness for Facebook. Penpal-ing it wasn't cutting it.

G

Glycerine

You know, 'I know we can grow up and evolve together even if we broke up 4 freaking years ago. let's stay friends and insist on seeing each other'.
Yet will act like you don't really exist most of the time. (don't take me wrong, I don't give a fuck about it, but it's just wierd)
Will be sure to use elaborate schemes not to 'make you feel under pressure'.

and that's just for starters.

entps are not designed to commit damn it.

haha, it's all good!

B

beyondaurora

The only person I find it effortless to keep in touch with is the person I'm dating.

Too true!

Count me in as well as being horrible at staying in touch. And I thought I was the only one with screwy Fe. :huh:

To go a step further, I have a problem with suddenly getting in contact with everybody, then very quickly falling completely off the face of the earth.

I actually did this just two days ago. I wrote to my old best friend, and I see that she called me, but I haven't listened to her message nor called her back. More often, I'll make a Facebook or myspace profile, add a couple dozen people (who are all like 'yay! where've you been?!'), and within a few weeks, I'll delete the account.

Why do I do this? I'm not really sure, but I have a few thoughts.

1. I feel the urge to start with a clean slate from the past (and anything that people might know about me)
  2. I realize that my relationships are superficial, so I bail out wanting something more authentic (which is strange because...)
  3. I actually fear intimate relationships

Pretty weird, I know.

sade

I'm bad at keeping in touch, and not very proud of it.
I do try.. But it takes an effort.

Too true!

Count me in as well as being horrible at staying in touch. And I thought I was the only one with screwy Fe. :huh:

To go a step further, I have a problem with suddenly getting in contact with everybody, then very quickly falling completely off the face of the earth.
Hello, my name is Sade and I do that too.
Perhaps for a bit different reasons, but do it none the less. I get this urge to get in touch with people, go out etc. I make an effort to balance it out, to make contact during the 'silent spell' too. And not go full on out when I'm feeling like contacting everyone. Makes me feel less guilty for leaving them hanging when I withdraw again.. But still, sounds very familiar.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More often, I'll make a Facebook or myspace profile, add a couple dozen people (who are all like 'yay! where've you been?!'), and within a few weeks, I'll delete the account.

Why do I do this? I'm not really sure, but I have a few thoughts.

1. I feel the urge to start with a clean slate from the past (and anything that people might know about me)
  2. I realize that my relationships are superficial, so I bail out wanting something more authentic (which is strange because...)
  3. I actually fear intimate relationships

Pretty weird, I know.

Ditto.

I feel like my life works in phases where I'll start something and do that for some time, then soon quit it altogether just to move on to the next thing. And when I leave a phase of my life behind I leave all of those included in that phase behind as well.

[Come to think about it, how can I remove this account? Just kidding. Sort of...]

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another "No" vote from me! I am very erratic at keeping in touch with people. Like other INFJs have mentioned, I am very future focussed, so find it hard to even remember acquaintance's names after a certain amount of time.

I do have some good friends with whom I stay in regular contact thanks to email (I also dislike long phone conversations, which drain me so much I begin to tune out completely.

It is one of the many things I berate myself for, as my "Ideal Self" would be wonderful at staying in touch with people. Maybe our problem is caused by a clash between the conflicting goals of Ni and Fe? Since Ni is dominant it usually wins, but our Fe has sufficient input to make us feel guilty about ignoring people.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I actually did this just two days ago. I wrote to my old best friend, and I see that she called me, but I haven't listened to her message nor called her back. More often, I'll make a Facebook or myspace profile, add a couple dozen people (who are all like 'yay! where've you been?!'), and within a few weeks, I'll delete the account.

Scary - I did the exact same thing with Facebook just before Christmas. I sent lots of my old Uni friends cheery "Hello" messages and got many nice replies, but I haven't done a thing about it since!

This is so unanimous it must be a significant trait of INFJs. :peepwall:

ArchAngel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ditto.

I feel like my life works in phases where I'll start something and do that for some time, then soon quit it altogether just to move on to the next thing. And when I leave a phase of my life behind I leave all of those included in that phase behind as well.

[Come to think about it, how can I remove this account? Just kidding. Sort of...]

My life has worked exactly that way ... the newest phase just fascinates me, and is completely unexpected ...

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

This is exactly what I do too. It's something I berate myself for (similar to what another post said) so it's nice to hear it may be related to type. Perhaps it's a mixture of type and instinctual stacking. I'm sx/sp btw.

I related to a lot of the other posts in this thread too. I'm glad my Fe isn't broken after all. :p

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
both drawn by the future and having difficulties letting go at times.
how do those infj even cope with the present?

the J must come in handy, no wonder INFP are so damn confused :D

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is exactly what I do too. It's something I berate myself for (similar to what another post said) so it's nice to hear it may be related to type. Perhaps it's a mixture of type and instinctual stacking. I'm sx/sp btw.

I related to a lot of the other posts in this thread too. I'm glad my Fe isn't broken after all. :p

I have the same type and instinctual stacking as yourself. Are you suggesting that a social subtype would be better at keeping in touch (which makes a lot of sense)?

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have the same type and instinctual stacking as yourself. Are you suggesting that a social subtype would be better at keeping in touch (which makes a lot of sense)?

Yes, supposedly the second stacking is the most in balance so I also think this would be natural for a so second. Of course so first is the most focused on social connections. I remember the description for sx/sp saying it's the most internally conflicted stacking. This type wants to connect but faces internal resistance with sp.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, supposedly the second stacking is the most in balance so I also think this would be natural for a so second. Of course so first is the most focused on social connections. I remember the description for sx/sp saying it's the most internally conflicted stacking. This type wants to connect but faces internal resistance with sp.

That's fascinating! Dealing with internal conflict has always been one of the "themes" of my own life; so much so that I have become skilled at assisting other people to deal with their own conflicts (see this thread for an example):

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-fe-what-do-you-really-feel-2.html#post494502

cloakofsnow

MBTI Type
INFx
Could it be that this lack of tendency to keep in touch is not specifically an INFJ thing but actually a cultural thing (a characteristic/symptom of our times)?

People these days (compared to, say, people of a hundred years ago) generally seem to have much looser ties with families, friends, etc. We pretty much accept the idea that people in our lives come and go and we tend not to look back when a person fades out of our lives (that is, if we notice in the first place that the person is gone). The only type of relationship and connection that most people put energy into maintaining are romantic/sexual relationships. That's what I've noticed, at least.

jaku

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4,5?
Could it be that this lack of tendency to keep in touch is not specifically an INFJ thing but actually a cultural thing (a characteristic/symptom of our times)?

People these days (compared to, say, people of a hundred years ago) generally seem to have much looser ties with families, friends, etc. We pretty much accept the idea that people in our lives come and go and we tend not to look back when a person fades out of our lives (that is, if we notice in the first place that the person is gone). The only type of relationship and connection that most people put energy into maintaining are romantic/sexual relationships. That's what I've noticed, at least.

i very much agree and thinks this creates a lot of confusion and problems concerning relationships with others. there is a lack of tendency to keep in touch, but it's labeled as a bad thing, for the wrong reason. it's not the quality, it's the quantity.

my take on it:

in our society and with increasing globalization of... the globe... there are just too many damn people we've convinced ourselves we need to care about and keep in touch with.

I end up feeling guilty about not following through with things like that.
but more and more i've been able to express to those i hold close that not responding immediately or at all via phone, email, facebook, what have you means nothing in comparison to denying someone a response face to face. you know, in real life?

i think this works as an example of what i'm trying to convey about our current culture:
i was intentionally ignored / silent-treatmented by an acquaintance (a classmate i was becoming better friends with) after misplacing my phone and not receiving any calls+messages/texts for a day or two. reunited with my phone i attempted to call/text her and... nope. so a few days later in class i gave her the rundown and told her that was stupid (she said she thought i had some reason to hate her and that was why i hadn't responded) and i told her if i felt that way she could be sure to find out in a much more straightforward manner.

so in regards to
I actually did this just two days ago. I wrote to my old best friend, and I see that she called me, but I haven't listened to her message nor called her back.

i'm in the process of doing this right now.

an oooold friend posted 'hi friend' on my facebook wall.... 4 days ago?
i think i'm semi-paranoid about responding because it might get me involved with meeting up for lunch or some sort of having to schedule something
but also maybe because i feel i should say something meaningful back to her? i mean i don't really know what her intentions are by initiating the dialogue.

can i just say 'hi' back? will she be offended? would that give her a chance to make a less ambiguous response?
should i stop thinking about it and just write something???
oh, i have to go to work --> forget about it for a week or so. remember again and feel guilty but still think of nothing to reply with.

uhhhhhhh yeah...
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Last edited: