User Tag List

View Poll Results: is money (& money-success) often a secondary thing for you NFs?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes!

39 62.90%
  • well, not really..i do still think a lot about money.

21 33.87%
  • heck no! money (& money-success) is most primary thing for me!

2 3.23%
123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default NFs: is 'money' really secondary to you?

i want to conduct a survey here.
    and it's not only money, but also talking in terms of the money-success (ie: rich), which seems to be the 'mainstream'-type of success that is encouraged by our large society forever.

is money (& money-success) a secondary thing to you?

if yes, then what would be the primary thing for you?
    as for me, i would say: happiness in life.
    but that's exactly why i'm conducting a survey here, to see if there's any NFs who'd prefer money (being primary) over happiness (secondary), or similarly, money over everything else, or not?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

If I'm unhappy, it really won't matter how much money I have. I wouldn't consider it at all except that apparently it's become necessary to human survival.
    My primary goal is to live life.
    Last edited by AfterHours; 01-07-2009 at 04:49 AM. Reason: to answer question

MBTI
    fool

As in all materialistic means and the "status" you can achieve with you success don't interest me. I want to make enough money so that I don't have to struggle everyday.

Money and "mainstream success" are secondary things for me.

Primary things for me are (sadly) humanitarian causes. Sadly, because I don't know how to actualize it. I know the only way for me to get satisfaction is by doing something "meaningful" and important for the humanity; I want to do as much as I possibly can for some cause that I find important.

It also goes with my other relationships. I get satisfaction from helping others to reach their potential and help them to become what ever they want to be. I kind of feel bad because I feel it's my second primary thing, even though close relationships are v. important for me. All in all, my primary things concern THE PEOPLE, as individuals close to me as well as humanity. I want to contribute their lives, self-growth, and holistic "happiness"; whether is psychological, spiritual, personal or physical. (And of course, I want to find my "soulmate").

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Well, damn, money *is* important - I mean, if I were homeless, cold and hungry, that would really suck.

On the other hand, I can have billions of euros, but if I am unhappy, discontent with myself and my surroundings and unhealthy - all that money is about as interesting as a f*ing football game. (And I hate football).

So the bottom line is: Yes, money is important, but it is definitely not the MOST important thing. I would say the most important things are:

1. Personal health (If I'm dead, nothing else matters, because I'm dead - and if I'm unhealthy, I can't enjoy anything else.)
    2. Personal relationships (What's the point in being healthy and having money if I'm all alone? marriage, family, friends, acquaintances and co-workers, etc.)
    3. Personal self-fulfillment (I need to have purpose and goals, or else I feel lost and alone, even if I am surrounded by people and have money and shit).
    4. Personal achievement and development (Money, power, success, good career, learning new skills and all that good crap blah blah).
    5. My animals (which kind of fits in with 2 and 3)
    6. My hobbies (fits in 2 and 3)
    7. Whatever else floats my boat at any given time.

So what does that make me - the first or second option?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    infp

I think about money all the time, I just don't value it as highly as I should do. After all money makes the world go round, and I'd much rather have it to spare, than have none.

All the money in the world can't make you happy, but it's a damn good stepping stone, because without it there will be even more to make you miserable.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I think about money all the time, I just don't value it as highly as I should do. After all money makes the world go round, and I'd much rather have it to spare, than have none.

All the money in the world can't make you happy, but it's a damn good stepping stone, because without it there will be even more to make you miserable.
    Exactly. You are very right, and that is what I was trying to say
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFP

Default NFs: is 'money' really secondary to you?

The few months that I had money and money-related status as a corporate attorney were the most miserable in my life. The work I did was meaningless to me and left little time and energy for the things in my life that count with me: developing relationships, especially those with my children; exploring the world of ideas beyond the narrow confines of the law as it was practiced at the firm where I worked. I might have been happier had I chosen work in the public sector, say, children's law or civil rights law, but I'll never know. The CVA that permanently disabled me came along and changed everything.

That was almost 17 years ago and since then I have lived at or near the poverty level and been much happier. Though financially life has been a struggle, I have had the opportunity to pursue avenues that are meaningful to me: working in the disability-rights movement, working with children in inner-city schools, writing, raising my children...the list goes on. I always told my children to do what they loved and not to worry about the money and both (one an NF, the other an SJ) have adopted this value, which is very satisfying, especially since their father's values are strictly materialistic and he judges everything in terms of money and money-related "success." Both my sons are happier men than their father can ever hope to be, at least in my estimation. Living life to the fullest is much more important to me than money or status will ever be.
    It's a blessing...and a curse.

Originally Posted by Anja
    I don't have room for shame in my life.

INFJ, 4w5 sx

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I don't mind having money, but its not my primary drive

For me, my SO, my animals, my friends, my health and the gathering of knowledge and intense experiences are all ten times more important. Now...money is a tool to get to some of those things so therefore it does become somewhat important and a necessary evil. And of course I do occasionally, like most women, love the idea of going on a shopping spree..but I can do without if needed
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Sure, money is almost vital in today's world, so it's natural to want it, and think about it. But in all honesty, I value higher than money, especially ones I love.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    if yes, then what would be the primary thing for you?
    as for me, i would say: happiness in life.
    but that's exactly why i'm conducting a survey here, to see if there's any NFs who'd prefer money (being primary) over happiness (secondary), or similarly, money over everything else, or not?
    I think happiness in life is the primary goal of just about any individual. Some people think that they can achieve that by getting lots of money.