• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Opposites attract?

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I've been thinking about introversion and extraversion, and the interaction between people who are I's and E's. I'm sorry if there's already a thread that deals with this subject, I tried to go back but none caught my eye :huh:

I know introverts may well enjoy the company of extraverts, (although worthy of an acknowledgement that in large doses it may be draining), but do extraverts enjoy introverts company? As in, would an extravert seek out the company of an introvert to another extravert? To stereotype even more, if introverts are seen as "shy" in group situations and extraverts as "outgoing". What in introverts might interest extraverts?

In general, do you tend to get intrigued (regardless of you introversion or extraversion) in outgoing people rather than less outgoing individuals? What are the best aspects an extravert and an introvert can offer you?

I know I put this in an extremely simple form, and of course I don't expect it to be that way in reality, but it's just one of the things I've been thinking. I'm really interested in what you guys think about this, so your thoughts on the subject are very welcomed :)

redacted

I appreciate EP types a lot. They provide a skill that I just don't have, and social situations are all about a bunch of specialized roles. That said, I probably prefer the company of ENTPs to ESTPs, but then again, we haven't really defined 'opposite'.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm new to looking at people in these terms so i never really thought about it before. i don't think i have a preference one way or another.

sorry...that was helpful...haha

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I see the most common dynamics to be like this, put abstractly. This doesn't take other type characteristics into account which are, IMO, just as important.

Introverts' psyches are are O shaped, and extroverts' are C shaped.

OO results in, as you can see, two separate units which may exist comfortably together, but do not fully engage.

CC (flip the second C around) results in each unit attempting to engage the other simultaneously, resulting in interference.

CO results in a solid fit, with O being peacefully engaged by C.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I am usually intrigued by introverts. It's like... a diamond in the rough... like they're asking to be uncovered/discovered. They offer something... indescribable.

INFPs, ISFPs, and INTJs for the win. INTPs are cool too. ;)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
As long as Introverts don't make me feel guilty about talking and my other socializing practices I do enjoy their company.

And by making me feel guilty I mean those Is that are so uptight and closed-off they won't have the guts to smack you in the head (figuratively speaking) if you've done or said something reprovable.

Come to think about it I don't even know whether I prefer I or E to socialize with. Never thought about it myself.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see the most common dynamics to be like this, put abstractly. This doesn't take other type characteristics into account which are, IMO, just as important.

OO results in, as you can see, two separate units which may exist comfortably together, but do not fully engage.

CC (flip the second C around) results in each unit attempting to engage the other simultaneously, resulting in interference.

kissgirl.gif

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Many extraverts seem to like having an introvert handy within their social circles.

Usually, it is to be - and mostly felt - listened to more carefully.

A breath of fresh air for them. Receiving a different type of attention in their interactions. It has some appeal.

Something similar to JFlack's CO anchoring (^^^^).

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Does this question really need to be asked (JOKE!) OF COURSE WE DO!!!! I :wubbie: intraverts!!!!!!!!!!! Let me at em :hug: I find them mighty intriguing and mysterious and so they don't give you it all at once on a plate; all the better if you ask me!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Most excellent analogy!

Although big Cs can engulf little os too.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It can be entertaining hanging with extraverts but if I had to choose one over the other I prefer the company of introverts. That said people intrigue me regardless of how outgoing they are.

"Let me at em" Whuh? *backs away from Wild horses*

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Not sure what you mean Eck... what can I do apart from cyberstalk all the Intoverts to prove that I love them so; but hey I already do that??!!

V

violaine

I'm am an Introvert who is not socially awkward or shy.... and I have tended to prefer other Introverts because they are who I have had commonality with. I'm not attracted by an opposite. I haven't actually dated more than one Extrovert, as the energy of the Es I've known seems to throw me off when they're coming after you. It seems all consuming. (None of this is intended to be a blanket statement about Es and Is btw, just my own experience.)

I have been thinking about this a lot lately as many Introverts seem to prefer Extroverted partners. Sometimes I think a very reserved person may respond to the attentions of an Extrovert more than anything. The outgoing person takes up the slack in terms of the very reserved person's lack of ability to make a connection themselves for whatever reason. (Sometimes I think they like if the Extrovert does all of the work!) I met an extremely reserved boyfriend's ex-girlfriend, who is one of the most outgoing people I have met. It baffled me that they didn't have a lot in common. But he liked a lot of alone time and she could happily leave him alone to be with her large circle of friends. Also, she would never go too deep with him, so he could stay well-defended but would entertain him with her energy, antics, mishaps, stories. That may be the important dynamic for some Introverts....

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Do you guys think opposites in general attract or ultimately clash too much?? Not just in terms of intraversion and extraversion?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
blue...i promise not to engulf you unless you ask.

and wild...i think total opposites can work as long as their is an admiration and respect for the differences, you know?

V

violaine

Do you guys think opposites in general attract or ultimately clash too much?? Not just in terms of intraversion and extraversion?

Opposites are definitely attracted to each other! I wonder about long term potential in a lot of those cases where someone is initially fascinated by someone because they are different. If they bond on another level it would def work if long term is what's desired.

I know I already said I'm not attracted to someone opposite (I do think I could have a lot in common with some Extroverts, it just hasn't happened that way so far). The reason is that it takes too much energy to be on the same page. I want deep understanding, a bond, which I have only found with people who are similar to me.... I need that otherwise I just keep sides of myself hidden. Or I won't even bother with a relationship in the first place.