• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Do ENFPs keep an INFP locked inside?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
ya pretty much^

its just a difference in how they communicate. its not that they cant communicate its just intuitives might not be understood by sensors and vice versa. they both might be saying the exact same thing but neither are understanding each other.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right...and that's what might make one feel awkward....yep, makes sense.

edit...haha...thought this was the socially awkward extravert thread for a sec...still makes sense though i guess...haha

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hey thanks for that inout... I could be very intraverted as a child growing up but now that I look back it usually occured whne I felt misunderstood... I felt that the other children didn't understand... They seemed caught up in being a child whilst I was more into the ... I guess you could call them mysteries of life...

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
You know, being INFP does not mean you are depressed, or sad, or you lock yourself away from humanity, or that you are grossly self-absorbed, or any other negative stereotypical trait that one associates with INTROVERSION.

Oh dear. I didn't mean to imply this!
It's just that - I have an INFP friend who has many a time told me that when she gets in a bad place, she suddenly becomes twice as extroverted. She'll want to be around people constantly. This doesn't actually help solve whatever's going down, she just instinctively switches into 'outgoing' mode. Trying to drain her energy so as not to have to deal with the problem at hand, mayhap?

I, on the flip side, when I get really low - want to be alone for large blocks of time. I'll literally go into hermit mode. I may eventually come out of a vegetable-like existence for a party/gathering of some kind, thinking it'll help distract me - but it always works against me. When I'm around lots of people whilst very down, it depresses me and all I want to do is go be alone again. I start seeing all the horrible things I think to be inherent in mankind!

We'll both still be our 'NFP' selves, but the 'E' and 'I' seem to switch around when in a bad place.

THAT was where my question came from. An observation. I didn't mean to imply that all INFPs were depressed!

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Do we ENFPs actually keep an INFP locked up inside like a caged animal?? QUOTE]

I would agree with this- my dad's an xNFP, he can't decide whether he's an E or an I, and neither can I. He grew up most of his life an INFP, but it recent years he's become more extroverted. He says he's a cross, and I'd agree. On a broader scale, I think ENFPs and INFPs share, in general, a lot in common- the distinction line isn't so thick. I think it's safe to say I can act like an ENFP sometimes, so maybe there's some sort of blend.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
have him read that e/i socionics thing in trinity's thread 2nd to last page at the moment...very helpful i think.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
I've been dating an INFP and he says he does behave like an ENFP when upset or drunk.

Each person needs a unique balance of introversion and extraversion to balance their personalities. While your type reflects your overall attitude to other people, everyone is entitled to both introverted and extraverted moments.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
You're losing perspective mlittrell! Typology has tainted your mind!
i would beg to differ

"The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment is a psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions."

not

"The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment is a psychometric questionnaire designed to measure behavioral preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions."

and

psychological: mental or emotional as opposed to physical in nature

not

behavior(al): the actions or reactions of a person or animal in response to external or internal stimuli.

hehe sorry

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I know it's a pet peeve of yours so that's why I mentioned it :)

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
lol ya im just being a dbag lol... its that big of a deal... just something everyone should keep in their minds

im that crazy old guy that lives next door, just ignore me

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
milttrel you are funny...is that you being serious and making fun of yourself or are you being sarcastic?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you can't be doing both! can you? haha...idk...either way it's pretty funny...ranting like the crazy old man next door! haha funny...funny

like this...
grummel.gif
or this...
th_Silly_avatar_by_Dicx.gif

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
the second smiley would be me.

im serious in what im saying. people focus waaaaay too much on the behavioral aspects of mbti and not enough on the cognitive. and no one seems to focus on the social aspects of mbti either but thats a whole different rant. and most people look into mbti way too much, its an extremely simple model that doesn't take half a brain to master, you can only get so complex with it, but i digress.

at the same time im making fun of myself for being so zealous about it. i like my little rants.

and im always sarcastic in some way.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
completely understand...me too. see enfp's are just alike! ;)

CheekyIrishTinker

MBTI Type
ENFP
well for me...and i don't know if i can describe it well...we'll see...is that there are two different types of people in the world...meaning ones that i instantly relate to and feel comfortable with and others who i don't...i am lucky that in the sorts of social and/or work situations i find myself in that i'm usually surrounded by people i do connect with...and if given the choice to be with them or alone...i'll choose them...but if put into a situation surrounded by the other type i prefer to be alone. i am a very open and expressive person and it's important to me to be accepted by my company if i don't feel that then i'll retreat and behave in a more introverted way...or most likely leave the situation...because i don't fake it with people and i can't feign interest where there is none.
so...some of the answers on the test are misleading or hard to know how to answer because...yes i only enjoy being around people that i feel a connection with...but...i don't need to be alone unless around others that i don't...

does that make any sense? and did it even answer the question?

This very issue has been niggling me today and having explored the types since joining this place I have started to question the E/I part of my NFP-ness.

However, the post by Erinavery above seems to hit the nail on the head for me. if I was to try and elaborate and articulate my personal take on it then I'd say this...

As much as I really love people and interaction with others and feel perked up by it I would probably prefer to be alone than with the WRONG people! By 'wrong' I mean people who I either don't 'get' or like very much or who's energy is so strong that it overwhelms me - as I tend to be an emotional sponge when it comes to others and their feelings/moods/energy etc.

It's like if I had to choose between being stuck with people I don't get or who don't understand me OR being on a desert island alone then sometimes I feel like I'd head for the island!!

Or does that go against the very essence of being an ENFP??

I dunno, can't say I know enough about all the types to comment on the ins and outs of it all.

All thoughts on this particular slant welcome!