• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Do ENFPs keep an INFP locked inside?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
When I'm stressed I test as an INTP but I'm not an INTP. I like INTPs but no way in hell or on earth or any other realm am I an INTP I also relate to traits of other types, but in the end I'm an INFP. I think most people relate some what to other types.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yea I can see that esp as you are probably very empathetic. You do believe then that everyone has a type? even those whoe claim to be xxxx?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey thats OK typical ENFP/INTP relations if you ask me :D So what do you think to the OP do you feel like there was a turning point, or a sink or swim moment when y ou grew some confidence

wild...i think it's just that it's not confidence or maturity that separates us...the same could be turned around on us saying insecurity lead us to act out and seek attention and approval externally...right? it's just cognitive preferences...isn't it...and is a preference for extroversion any different then a preference for feeling vs thinking...or intuition over sensing...so in that way would we be any more similar to infp then any other type one letter removed?

i'm really asking...cuz i don't know.
and sorry if the tone sounds shitty...i can never tell...but it's not meant to!!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yes. everyone has a type even those who say xxxx and I also think those people are getting too wrapped up in the descriptions alot of the time. They're trying to hard to figure themselves out. A description is going to match very few people perfectly.or some people just want to be "unique" by being xxxx because don't we have capablities to use all functions its just the dominant ones make up our type I feel and think and I intuit and sense. Just because I'm an NF doesn't mean I'm incapable of noticing things around me or being intelligient.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Funny, I always feel like I have an ENFP trapped inside me, with a massive door made of zero self esteem keeping it locked up tight. :blush:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey thats OK typical ENFP/INTP relations if you ask me :D So what do you think to the OP do you feel like there was a turning point, or a sink or swim moment when y ou grew some confidence

Unfortunately, I cannot support your view. I've always been an extreem E as a child. It's the tough experiences in my youth though that caused my E to become weaker. I'm more careful, if you will. I tend to test I when I feel insecure, because it is usually accompanied by a feeling of not liking people, not trusting them and wanting to stay away from them. Happens actually most often when I get burned for being an E :)

Thanks for defending my honour though Amargith :hug:

Any time sweety ;)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, Jack, quick question..

Could it be that you temporarily make your auxilary function dominant due to circumstances?

What I mean is..when I'm pissed at the world, I'm way more likely to use Fi and judge everything than I am likely to use Ne and seek more input.

Funny, I always feel like I have an ENFP trapped inside me, with a massive door made of zero self esteem keeping it locked up tight. :blush:

Let her out and see what happens then :devil:
Could be great fun!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Actually, Jack, quick question..

Could it be that you temporarily make your auxilary function dominant due to circumstances?

What I mean is..when I'm pissed at the world, I'm way more likely to use Fi and judge everything than I am likely to use Ne and seek more input.
That's more of a BlueWing question, because I think Intuition is the primary function of both NFPs, and Feeling the support function.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's more of a BlueWing question, because I think Intuition is the primary function of both NFPs, and Feeling the support function.

oh...okay. so really the only difference is the e/i and all types are basically similar except for that...damn...i don't know what i thought i knew! haha

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I would say no - at least for me.

ENFPs have been called the most introverted of extraverts before, but I do not identify with INFP. I don't really get INFPs to be honest though there are similarities which can cause attraction as well as consternation.

For me it's not an e/i difference at all, it's different cognitive functions. Big difference between being an Fi dom or an Ne dom in my opinion.

That said, I feel more affinity with ENTPs than INFPs.

For myself, I was a strongly expressed extravert since I was a child. Life had the opposite effect on me -- making me more guarded, more private, shyer, etc. It took me some years to push out of it and claim myself again.

Whenever any type is not feeling confident or under stress, they can sink into their shadow type or just become more introverted.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh really?? haha...wth it's the intuition thing? that's weird kinda!!
well so...iyo the enfp IS more similar to infp then entp?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
oh really?? haha...wth it's the intuition thing? that's weird kinda!!
well so...iyo the enfp IS more similar to infp then entp?
That seems to be a matter of opinion, and I would say it's not clear. More similar to ENTP in some ways, and INFP in others.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Unfortunately, I cannot support your view. I've always been an extreem E as a child. It's the tough experiences in my youth though that caused my E to become weaker. I'm more careful, if you will. I tend to test I when I feel insecure, because it is usually accompanied by a feeling of not liking people, not trusting them and wanting to stay away from them. Happens actually most often when I get burned for being an E :)
Any time sweety ;)

Wow, I have to agree with this. I'm a pretty strong E (some tests give me 100%) but I still am more cautious. My feeeeelings just can't haaandle being hurrrrt agaaaain (dont you feel so bad for me?) so I'm much more cautious about making friends. Even though I'm dying for more friends.

I feel like I put my heart and soul into making friends. Other people can bounce back when things change but I'm all "hey we spent months and possibly years together talking about deep things, whatcha mean you are moving on??"

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That seems to be a matter of opinion, and I would say it's not clear. More similar to ENTP in some ways, and INFP in others.

sure...absolutely...agreed. :)

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
LOLOLOLOL Are you sure you don't keep a very opinionated E locked inside yourself??
opinion and human cognition are not equal.

i am an extremely opinionated ENFP. and then you could have another ENFP that isn't nearly opinionated but they are still both ENFPs so the opinion doesn't make a difference. you could fill in the word "opinion" with any other "behavior" in that previous statement and it would still be true. you can also fill in "ENFP" with "XXXX" and it will still be true.

and to answer the thread title... no, personally no. as an ENFP i do think a little differently from an INFP and so it would actually be a little hard to keep an "INFP locked inside myself" because it is not a natural way to think for my cognition.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Wild horses said:
Also there seems to be a common story emerging amongst the ENFPs that I have had contact with IRL, As very young children they seemed to display definite INFP traits which were either trampled on by parents or schools etc. They then went on to develope a false sense of confidence to make a better fit into the world. Most of the ENFPs mention a particular time in their lives when they chose to be more confident. This process could be simply maturity, something that happens to us all, it could even be an explanation for extraversion in general. Have other Es had a similar experience?

This seems to assume that INFP's are not confident.
I know many introverts that are more confident than extraverts.