• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs, Do you detach emotionally in moments of crisis?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been pondering this, you see. I notice in moments of crisis, it's almost like I switch off the emotion chip. Others have noticed this in me too, but it has to be a big crisis, where emotion is so intense, it would be crippling (system overload perhaps?). It also happens in routine, but relatively stressful situations at work also.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Yes, I have felt the cut of switch happen when the need for emotion is too great, or the situation too painful. It feels like I go dead inside for awhile, it's usually accompanied by a withdrawl from society until I feel able to process the emotion.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah I do this. People tell me I'm always calm in a crisis. I've thought about it a lot, but never really gotten to the base of what's happening there. I could be detaching, or it could just be that I'm so internal that it takes a while for big things to filter through. I dunno. Maybe the stress flips us into our shadow ESTJ state?

Edit: or maybe it's just shock/denial?

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah. I am usually very calm and detail oriented in a crisis. If something is wrong, I can completely detach from my emotions in order to continue working on the job, and make sure everything I can do in order to prevent any further damage is done as well.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Absolutely, but I'm not entirely sure that means I turn into a calm, cool me in a crisis. Everybody has their sad stories, and in the past, I've noticed that when I'm going through tragedy, I tend to subconciously suppress the emotions that I am feeling, to the point where I'm not even capable of crying in many cases, until I have enough time to ponder over them alone. I dunno if I do this to protect myself or the people around me? But once I have had time to understand them myself, then I can confide in other people. But only those that are very close and I feel understand me very well.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Same for me. I've wondered too, JJJ if it isn't the initial grief stage of denial.

Whatever it is, it seems as though a switch is flipped and I am afloat without my feelings compass for however long it takes to do what is necessary.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
If it is a crisis to me, I will not be detached.

Far, far from it

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Hm... I actually can't really think of this happening to me. The emotion, as intense as it gets, just stays there and washes over me, drenching me, until I somehow let it all out. But all my crises have been personal; I don't know about more 'external' crises, I guess--that may depend... on how I feel. I might just not feel very emotionally overwhelmed--it doesn't feel like detachment though, at the same time.

heart

heart on fire
Depends on the nature of the crisis, but yes I've been totally emotionally numb during crisis before.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Emotionally? Yes, though if something still needs to be done I'm better off with out having the emotions in the way. You would say I almost function better in those situations. Things seem clearer...

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yes - i have studied stones for quite some time

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah. I think it boils down to mental autonomy or rather survival. Imagine sealing vital doors in a flooding submarine.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I unplug completely. In a crisis there's just too much. It's a major overload. I guess it could be considered 'survival' mode.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
And I was just thinking how I operate in crises now is so different than I used to. I used to go into panic mode and flutter about. Very inefficient with the adrenaline flowing like crazy.

Now I respond physically to the situation but it's more like I go into slow-motion. Very calm and methodical and it's a natural response.

I am not sure why. Maybe all the feelings work I've done over the years. Or maybe jus having piled up plenty of crises through time. Dunno. But I am glad for it.

Hey, heart. You've changed your type. Congratulations! You sure didn't seem like a Jay to me. ;)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am not sure why. Maybe all the feelings work I've done over the years. Or maybe jus having piled up plenty of crises through time. Dunno. But I am glad for it.;)

You have developed your Thinking faculty, as only Thinking allows one to dispassionately and methodically work through the problem.