User Tag List

First 567

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Well, it's a bit of a quandry, isn't it? I mean, I assume my feelings, wishes and desires must count for something, too. Surely it isn't all about making the cashier happy. That's definitely more interaction and responsibility than I wanted from just running an errand to pick up a few necessary items. Maybe the cashier has some responsibility to report to management that being forced to make the same speech to every customer, even ones she knows will decline every offer because they have repeatedly, and look uncomfortable, is not such a good sales strategy. It's possible that could have some effect.

Are you really insisting on enthusiastic participation in "Would you like to apply for our credit card? Buy this hand lotion? Get this chapstick? Did you see our blah de blahs? What's your phone number? Your address? Your zip code?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Well, it's a bit of a quandry, isn't it? I mean, I assume my feelings, wishes and desires must count for something, too. Surely it isn't all about making the cashier happy. That's definitely more interaction than I wanted from just running an errand to pick up a few necessary items. Maybe the cashier has some responsibility to report to management that being forced to make the same speech to every customer, even ones she knows will decline every offer because they have repeatedly, and look uncomfortable, is not such a good sales strategy. It's possible that could have some effect.

Are you really insisting on enthusiastic participation in "Would you like to apply for our credit card? Buy this hand lotion? Get this chapstick? Did you see our blah de blahs?"
    I don't equate civility with enthusiasm. Implying they are the same belies your intent and proves my point.

In the words of Proteanmix... "carry on" disgruntled shoppers!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I don't equate civility with enthusiasm. Implying they are the same belies your intent and proves my point.

In the words of Proteanmix... "carry on" disgruntled shoppers!

You're condoning my responding in a genuine fashion to a complete facsimile of a conversation designed to make me spend more money -- a total parody of interaction. Are you polite to your car, too?

You're right, though. I should write some letters to corporate. Not that they would care, since everybody else is going right along with the program ...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

What's wrong with a simple, polite, persistent "no thanks?"
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    What's wrong with a simple, polite, persistent "no thanks?"
    That's what I do. It works fine.

MBTI
    INFP

Yeah, Tilty. Like I said, I just say I'm too busy. Like, try to honor the others' spirit while resisting the systematic consumerism they are chained to for their work hours.

My concern is more for those of you who take the irritation out of the store with you. Don't need to drag that baggage along with you, you know. Bad habit to accumulate little pieces of annoyance in your daily business. They add up and pretty soon you got a whole load of crap you're hauling around with you.

You know. Do the smile and "No thank you." and mean it, then let it go.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer