User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I'm not talking about whose fault it is, just that I find it bizarre and dehumanizing.

This is becoming more and more ingrained in our culture and there's nothing that can be done about it.

That's where we disagree. We CAN do something about the dehumanization. Everybody needs to play a part. We treat each other in our daily encounters as though they were not automatons to serve our needs but rather a fellow human being.

If it's the way the culture is going it's not the fault of the person behind the cash register.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

heart on fire

These techniques must work on a majority of the population or corporations wouldn't tell enforce them for their employees. It's part of the marketing culture.

MBTI
    INFP

I believe that is true, heart, and it's pretty amazing to me. How else can we resist the trend but to attempt to make our own personal changes?

We lack mindfulness when we are worshipping at our temples of consumerism. Like Victor says - a trance. That's worth a thread all by itself. Where did the authenticity go? It's become ritual.

No surprise to me that Europeans would notice the fake smiles in the US emporiums. You gotta be cheerful in church! It's our life-blood.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

This thread pretty much makes things clear to why I'm more likely an ENT than an INF.
    I don't think... "Oh crap! This person is trying to get into a conversation with me- I don't want to do this."
    I think, "Coolio. Someone to talk to. Small talk can often lead to more interesting conversations with a little imagination."

By smiling and being social, one can make himself or herself a hell lot happier.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

This is so INFJ human you decide of me, but when I see people (and I am in a mentally healthy state) I see a collection of INDIVIDUALS. Perhaps that is because it's what I hope people see when they look at me in my various modes of being.

I hope none of you assume that a $6 an hour cashier deserves to be treated as a representative of their employer's strategic marketing, failed policies, unoriginal management, or as the recipient of your frustration? I would wager that logic tells most of us otherwise, but some of us (and during hard times, all of us) ignore that logic in favor of indulging our less noble expressions of discontent. I cannot absolve myself completely of that personal failure, but I regularly try to recognize it for what it is and stamp it out utterly.

I admit I dislike a number of things about the modern shopping experience... the bureaucracy, the scripts, the mechanized transactions for both people and machine, the frightfully intelligent marketing techniques... But despite these feelings of annoyance, or even anger, I do not permit myself to forget that the person in front of me is a PERSON in front of me. If I have grievances worth pursuing, I direct them to the person most capable of rectifying them, or at least to the person capable of passing the message along to the right people--keeping in mind not to crucify the messenger.

Ultimately, it is an introspective failure to assume that the person on the other side of any demarcation is more responsible for being the change we wish to see in a shared world.
    Last edited by iwakar; 12-30-2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Bolded a word for appropriate emphasis.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    By smiling and being social, one an extrovert can make himself or herself a hell lot happier.
    ^ Fixed.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    This is so INFJ human you decide of me, but when I see people (and I am in a mentally healthy state) I see a collection of INDIVIDUALS. Perhaps that is because it's what I hope people see when they look at me in my various modes of being.

I hope none of you assume that a $6 an hour cashier deserves to be treated as a representative of their employer's strategic marketing, failed policies, unoriginal management, or as the recipient of your frustration? I would wager that logic tells most of us otherwise, but some of us (and during hard times, all of us) ignore that logic in favor of indulging our less noble expressions of discontent. I cannot absolve myself completely of that personal failure, but I regularly try to recognize it for what it is and stamp it out utterly.

I admit I dislike a number of things about the modern shopping experience... the bureaucracy, the scripts, the mechanized transactions for both people and machine, the frightfully intelligent marketing techniques... But despite these feelings of annoyance, or even anger, I do not permit myself to forget that the person in front of me is a PERSON in front of me. If I have grievances worth pursuing, I direct them to the person most capable of rectifying them, or at least to the person capable of passing the message along to the right people--keeping in mind not to crucify the messenger.

Ultimately, it is an introspective failure to assume that the person on the other side of any demarcation is more responsible for being the change we wish to see in a shared world.
    You are awesome

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post

Good speech!

I don't think anyone was proposing taking it out on the cashier...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Good speech!

I don't think anyone was proposing taking it out on the cashier...
    Proposed or not, I would argue that many still do or think that ignoring the cashier, grunting barely inaudible responses, or verbally vexing them qualifies as appropriate expressions of annoyance/discontent.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    infp

Wow, they actually ask you how you are in the US?

Over here the most it is, is "would you like to apply for our card", or "can I help you", so when I said the chit chat didn't bother me, I don't think I was talking about the same thing.

I make more jokes to the cashiers here than they would even think of doing.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari