• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] INFs -- Chit-Chat from the Checkout?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it's a bit of a quandry, isn't it? I mean, I assume my feelings, wishes and desires must count for something, too. Surely it isn't all about making the cashier happy. That's definitely more interaction and responsibility than I wanted from just running an errand to pick up a few necessary items. Maybe the cashier has some responsibility to report to management that being forced to make the same speech to every customer, even ones she knows will decline every offer because they have repeatedly, and look uncomfortable, is not such a good sales strategy. It's possible that could have some effect.

Are you really insisting on enthusiastic participation in "Would you like to apply for our credit card? Buy this hand lotion? Get this chapstick? Did you see our blah de blahs? What's your phone number? Your address? Your zip code?"

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it's a bit of a quandry, isn't it? I mean, I assume my feelings, wishes and desires must count for something, too. Surely it isn't all about making the cashier happy. That's definitely more interaction than I wanted from just running an errand to pick up a few necessary items. Maybe the cashier has some responsibility to report to management that being forced to make the same speech to every customer, even ones she knows will decline every offer because they have repeatedly, and look uncomfortable, is not such a good sales strategy. It's possible that could have some effect.

Are you really insisting on enthusiastic participation in "Would you like to apply for our credit card? Buy this hand lotion? Get this chapstick? Did you see our blah de blahs?"

I don't equate civility with enthusiasm. Implying they are the same belies your intent and proves my point.

In the words of Proteanmix... "carry on" disgruntled shoppers!

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't equate civility with enthusiasm. Implying they are the same belies your intent and proves my point.

In the words of Proteanmix... "carry on" disgruntled shoppers!

You're condoning my responding in a genuine fashion to a complete facsimile of a conversation designed to make me spend more money -- a total parody of interaction. Are you polite to your car, too?

You're right, though. I should write some letters to corporate. Not that they would care, since everybody else is going right along with the program ...

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
What's wrong with a simple, polite, persistent "no thanks?"

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, Tilty. Like I said, I just say I'm too busy. Like, try to honor the others' spirit while resisting the systematic consumerism they are chained to for their work hours.

My concern is more for those of you who take the irritation out of the store with you. Don't need to drag that baggage along with you, you know. Bad habit to accumulate little pieces of annoyance in your daily business. They add up and pretty soon you got a whole load of crap you're hauling around with you.

You know. Do the smile and "No thank you." and mean it, then let it go.