User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

I like it when they talk to me. :c

violaine

It's definitely a force to be reckoned with in the US.

The first few times that I heard "Did you find everything OK?", (which has got to be the stupidest scripted retail-speak ever), I was like "Um, yeah but"... I was giving serious thought to how they could improve the layout of their store etc, to make things more accessible. LOL.

Anyway, other than that I don't mind. I enjoy making extra effort to be friendly to the cashier. Eye contact, smiles, the works.

MBTI
    ENFP

See now when I was working at a check out I made my 'speech' alot more creative and used to ask customers loads of personal stuff and have a good ole chin wag; the best of it was they used to delight in telling me everything...
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    First off, we aren't monkeys. Why do I say this? Toliet paper.
    I'm sorry, but it is a similar behaviour and there are similar reasons for its existence. I meant to compare the behaviour to animals similar to us, not to say that we are "monkeys".

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Second, I've worked with people who weren't happy with simple answers and who would start giving me a hard time about not having party animal stories to tell on Mondays or who wanted to give me grief because I wasn't withchild yet or whatever. Mindless, invasive chit-chat can be very enervating.
    That is unfortunate.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    It's definitely a force to be reckoned with in the US.

The first few times that I heard "Did you find everything OK?", (which has got to be the stupidest scripted retail-speak ever), I was like "Um, yeah but"... I was giving serious thought to how they could improve the layout of their store etc, to make things more accessible. LOL.

Anyway, other than that I don't mind. I enjoy making extra effort to be friendly to the cashier. Eye contact, smiles, the works.
    YES, PERFECT! "Did you find everything OK?" WELL, YEAH, do you not see me here ready to pay for it all? Am I not at the checkout counter with all my finds? If I had not found everything ok, would I not still be wandering about in the aisles?

The cable company I buy from makes me verify my entire name, address, phone number and PIN number every time I call, and then says, after I am already ready to pull out my hair, "May I look at your account?" No, I just called to chat ...

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    YES, PERFECT! "Did you find everything OK?" WELL, YEAH, do you not see me here ready to pay for it all? Am I not at the checkout counter with all my finds? If I had not found everything ok, would I not still be wandering about in the aisles?
    Exactly! It is so inane.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    The cable company I buy from makes me verify my entire name, address, phone number and PIN number every time I call, and then says, after I am already ready to pull out my hair, "May I look at your account?" No, I just called to chat ...
    I hate this kind of redundancy... (I don't mind the kind of redundancy where I quote you and make this kind of comment though )
    Last edited by violaine; 01-01-2009 at 03:40 AM.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

After working in customer service for 3 yrs, 1 yr of which I was a part-time phone rep (gag), I am not nearly as hard as I used to be on customer service-type people. It's not a very good existance, being a customer service rep. I was pretty miserable, actually, and sometimes dumb stuff would come out of my mouth while on the phone...so I try to cut all of them some slack now. And it would cheer me up when people were actually nice to me.

(But, I get what all of you are saying, too. )
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm not mad at the CSRs. I'm mad at whoever thought it was a good idea to turn them all into robots. I'm nice, I promise I'm nice ... it just makes me use the internet more.

MBTI
    INFP

Well, you know. And take people at their word. If they ask if you found everything okay answer them if you didn't. A good employee will follow through and help you.

A few folks posting here seem to have forgotten that they're talking to real live human beings with needs and feelings who are trying to make a buck at something they probably don't enjoy much.

We live in such a rotten culture of nonspeak that we've come to think of others like our cars who talk to us. Now that irritates the heck out of me - a talking machine. But people? Even monkeys do display some competence at social custom.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Actually, when I saw the title of this thread I went "Ooo!" and thought it was going to be about those random, chit-chatty conversations that people who are waiting in line with you strike up. I kinda find those fun, sometimes.