User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

No generalized panic disorder, but I have struggled with anxiety-induced insomnia most of my life. After reading some INFJ profile descriptions I'm starting to think our anxiety comes with the territory -- we feel compelled to shoulder too many of the world's problems, and we feel guilty about the ones we don't shoulder. And I hate that nagging urge to always be accomplishing something / improving myself -- is that an xNxJ thing? I've been trying to learn to relax more, and am getting a little better at it, although even on vacation I sometimes have to force myself not to make to-do lists. My partner and I are thinking of having kids in a few years and honestly I've been toying with the idea of being a stay-at-home mom or only working part-time when/if that happens. I really want to slow down the pace of my life and enjoy the little things more.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by mwv6r View Post
    After reading some INFJ profile descriptions I'm starting to think our anxiety comes with the territory -- we feel compelled to shoulder too many of the world's problems, and we feel guilty about the ones we don't shoulder.
    That's probably one reason why we're often compared to the Biblical prophets, who after all had to shoulder the burdens of the entire Israelite nation.

I think even in Kaballah there's a concept that some people are destined to bear the burderns of others, in order to help purify and strengthen the world.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by penelope View Post
    I find that to be incredibly true of me. I find that I'm constantly anxious, stressed, or losing sleep over struggling to answer the self-imposed questions I leave myself, trying to better understand my actions, feelings, and motives.

It's been tormenting me so much lately, especially since I can't pinpoint the reason for my latest internal struggle. It makes me wish I weren't an introvert, so I wouldn't feel so at home in my head and the rubix cube I feel so impelled to solve. It makes me wish I weren't a feeler, so I wouldn't be so strongly affected and tormented by my emotions. It makes me wish I were more of a perceiver instead of a judger so I could let things go. But I would never give up the strength of my intuition. Without it, I think I would be perpetually lost.

Not sure what I'm trying to get across. Do other INFJs suffer so much as well? Have you learned any tricks to make it easier?
    I often experience this too, more than I'd like to admit. I'm always looking for something to complete the puzzle, but I usually end up going in circles. And I understand your frustration. I never find peace with anything and I never let anything go. I do try to knock myself off my handmade pedestal I've created from time to time. And yet things never seem to be getting any easier. Like you, I am always trying to improve something, something that may seem so far away. So I don't know if I have any tricks, but I do tend to feign apathy really well. I know it's probably not the healthiest thing to do, but for me it works.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    That's probably one reason why we're often compared to the Biblical prophets, who after all had to shoulder the burdens of the entire Israelite nation.

I think even in Kaballah there's a concept that some people are destined to bear the burderns of others, in order to help purify and strengthen the world.
    That's fascinating...Specific Biblical prophets or all of them?
    "Life is like a box of crayons. Most people are the 8-color boxes, but what you're really looking for are the 64-color boxes...I fancy myself to be a 64-color box...I can only meet the 8-color boxes...I mean there are so many different colors of life, of feeling, of articulation...so when I meet someone who's an 8-color type... I'm like, "Hey girl, magenta!" and she's like, "Oh, you mean purple!" and she goes off on her purple thing, and I'm like, "No - I want magenta!" -John Mayer

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I have a lifetime struggle with anxiety and some depression. I have to be mindful to not overdo, but it doesn't feel like perfectionism to me, it just feels like it takes every effort to be adequate in those cases. My internal struggles are rooted in doubting myself. There is something related to ego that i see other people have that is vacant in me. This has some significant drawbacks (not sure it is related to type or not). I mean ego as a kind of sense of self, of being certain of one's own perspective as well as a healthy attitude of assuming oneself to be a little more significant than is objectively true. I am too ready to contemplate the big picture to the point of getting lost in the vastness of it. When trying to understand something, I view it from so many vantage points that it leaves everything really open-ended and uncertain. It feels a little like wandering too far outside myself.

For example, I had someone I have loved dearly my entire life accuse me of being all kinds of horrible things. Even though I know they were distressed and confused, I still have to examine that vantage point to understand the process by which I can be viewed in such a horrible light. Am I exactly those horrible things? Am I a little bit like that? Am I the opposite? What produces those conclusions. It can really hurt to try to understand it, but there is something more important than the effect it has on me. Everything is valid if understood and viewed from the appropriate angle, although that way of thinking can make emotional interactions rather painful at times. I don't mean it is objectively true, but the result of some process of cause and effect that defines someone's experience. I can't dismiss anything entirely. That is that absence of ego/self investment I am talking about. I don't have good internal filters like many people, and so I tend to be rather withdrawn externally to minimize what I take in. I suppose the advantage is that holding so much inside allows me to make more connections that might be important at a later point than the person who solidly dismisses whatever disagrees with their personal vantage point on a regular basis.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyLadybug View Post
    That's fascinating...Specific Biblical prophets or all of them?
    I can't say exactly all of them literally, but rather the general profile attributed to them.

Here's an example from one piece I posted here, R. Loren Sandford's "Profile of the Prophetic Person":
    Rarely happy - Burden-bearing

Prophetic people are rarely "happy" people, at least until they have served long and made peace with the pain, with the gift and with God. First, remember that the training for a prophetic person involves depths of crushing and breaking incomprehensible to the average person. This training period and the heaviness of spirit that may accompany it can last for many years, but the heaviness need not be permanent. Seasoned prophetic people who have persevered over time in seeking the presence and the heart of God and who have allowed the character changes to occur that were the purpose of the suffering, come at last into a deep and abiding peace and joy that are not easily shaken. One source of the dark moodiness that so plagues some prophetic types, therefore, is the pressure of the constant seasons of crucifixion required to produce the character adjustments that are so essential to the calling.

The burden-bearing function I have mentioned so often is one of the most difficult aspects of prophetic awareness to sort out and balance. The emotional weight of the faithlessness and unrighteousness of the people of Israel so crushed Moses that he pled with God to kill him (Numbers 11:15). Jeremiah bore the burden of Israel's sin and the destruction that was to come so deeply that scholars have dubbed him "the weeping prophet".

MBTI
    istj
    Enneagram

I can relate what you guys are saying as far as worrying about improving all the time, having a rich inner life, trying to figure out the whats and whys of every thought and action, etc.

I suggest some sort of meditation. Breathing. Listening to some soothing sounds...doesn't have to be music. Could be waterfalls, birds...whatever. When you're in a super relaxed state, you are NOT thinking. And when you are not thinking, your worries seem to disappear. At least for me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by penelope View Post
    On a similarly related note, INFJs: raise your hand if you have Generalized Anxiety Disorder or Panic Disorder.

*raises hand*
    Yes, general anxiety/prone to insomnia. I won't take medication though because I'm a health nut. Also, I worry it would affect optimal brain functioning in ways other than simply calming the mind. Yea, just more worries. ha.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

INFJs and those pained-looking eyes...

I kinda connected to one, and for a few days... I could feel my heart carrying a heavy weight. It felt like a heavy backpack, but a cardiac one.

How do you deal with it? I mean, I have enough trouble with carrying my own emotions around, and you guys carry everyone else's AND your weird/contradictory ones... whoa.
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My internal state of affairs resembles a mythical creature attempting to manipulate a tornado wrestling match into a symphony of discordant elements; its complicated, but it's managed for long stretches of time until something erupts out of a stressed seam.

Metaphors FTW.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke