User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Question INFP = Copycat?!

Does the INFP easily take on the appearance of another type? If this is possible, are there particular types which the INFP tends to gravitate toward/copycat?

**If I just stumbled on something that's already textbook; let me know, or pretend I didn't...

What's the point if neither of them wins? Or do they both win? Or am I giving far too much credit to the programmers of a few interpreted pixels?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

there was a guy whose name was neidnegal (i prolly spelled that wrong) and he wrote profiles for each type and sports and such. the one thing that he was correct with was the INFPs ability to mimic (and this traveled over to the ENFP).

that being said he was a self proclaimed PhD and it turns out he was a fraud

which brings me to my next point. myers briggs is a model for the human cognition and should not describe behavior TOO much. though type can be reflected in behavior it is still a reflection and not the real thing. any "mimicking" or "acting" like another type is nurture (environmental variables) and not nature.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Oh yeah. I consider myself a shapeshifter. I used to be considered outgoing (ESFP maybe) back in my day (I'm only 22, but you know what I mean). I think for the past four years people would assume I am an INTJ or INTP. I think that's because my will for caring is slowly dying, lol. Nah, I'm just tired of feeling everything. So to answer your question, yes I often shift into other types.

I agree with mlittrell on this.
    It's probably not a matter of MBTI. There could be many other factors influencing our particular INFP out of MBTI.

Personally, I don't perceive INFPs as a particular shape-shifter.

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gauche View Post
    I agree with mlittrell on this.
    It's probably not a matter of MBTI. There could be many other factors influencing our particular INFP out of MBTI.

Personally, I don't perceive INFPs as a particular shape-shifter.
    Yea, none of us are clear examples of type, we're all individuals, with our own coolness.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

beautifully stated.

what i posted above ive been trying to push quite a bit. it seems that people are getting behavior confused with MBTI. the human cognition is not something so easily explained and thus we need a basic model to structure any thoughts around.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5

For me, it can be really hard to blend into the atmosphere of a bunch of different types. I just stay quiet instead.

One-on-one, I tend to sort of morph myself to match the vibe of the other person probably more than most people do. It's partly empathy, but it actually also serves a self-protective purpose; I'm less likely to get hurt if I don't put the full force of my true personality out in the open.

I think I come across as ISFJ-ish at work (for my job I need to be organized and pay attention to detail), but I think N and P are probably my weaker preferences.
    6w5sp/sx

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

My life has been quite a story..My dad says I was very ESFJ/P-like (LOL) up until I was about 5. My mother died when I was 3, and I moved a few times afterwards, and when I was 5 we finally settled down again. Because of all that was going on (environmental stimuli) I changed drastically until I was about 7. I was more quiet, and way more layed back. I'm think I was more ISFP-like. Life went on, and about 4 years ago, my father remarried. Last MarchShe ended up cheating on him, and moved out within a month, and it royally screwed up our family. I gained self awareness, and started thinking differently. My dad is extremely firmiliar with the MBTI and through him, and several tests, I started to shed the skins of who I thought I was, and became who I really am.

I don't mean to ramble on, but my point is that if drastic change is brought about, especially in times where a peson is most vulnerable (when I growing up), that it can the person. One could argue that types don't change that easily, but types are simply gerneralities, and are by no means set in stone. This may not be exactly related to the topic, but I feel it demonstrates the INFPs nature.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP

I don't know if it's copying or a response that often comes out as copying but not always. Some people just turn me straight off. My mind won't function. Others, I will find myself responding to them in their style. I pick some accents up as well from people I'm talking with. It isn't conscious as far as I feel it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by neofrizz View Post
    Does the INFP easily take on the appearance of another type? If this is possible, are there particular types which the INFP tends to gravitate toward/copycat?
    Yes, my INFP dad is an INFJ wannabe.