User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

Perhaps I misunderstood the original question, but I think altering body language as well as what a person says, whether done completely consciously or not, seem to be transcendent of type. I'd guess such behavior better relates to self-preservation, wanting to be accepted, and/or a desiring to create a harmonious atmosphere --- traits commonly found in many different types -- rather than something uniquely INFP. If I had to relate it to MBTI, however, I would probably say this is just Fe (extraverted feeling) in action.

MBTI
    INFP

I don't think I'm a copycat. I can only imagine how tiring that would be, trying to be something you're not. I can be a little bit of a social chameleon, but that's far from being a real copycat, and I think almost everyone is to a degree.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I read an online profile talking about how INFPs can wear an ESTJ business suit when they need to, although the experience quickly drains them.

INFPs tend to be pretty good with understanding and then internalizing others' emotions. For me, that's the source of my empathy, and it provides a pretty solid start for me to try and 'copy' another type, if that's my objective.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

i often do this around people, its mainly speech inflections, certain phrases they use, or physical mannerisms. Specifiically in social situations I find myself doing that, might be some type of defense mechanism.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

For me it is an unconscious adaptation, and I am more aware of it at times than others. But I do relate to this post, the whole concept of being a chameleon. There are only rare times when I am not reading cues from the person I am talking to, modifying my mannerisms, and anticipating what they want from me. Again, I don't do this with any intention. It just happens. And it confused me for a long time why I seemed to adapt to the people around me instead of them adapting to me. I thought it was some kind of personality weakness on my part. Now, I feel happy to have the ability to relate to others on their level and bond this way.

I'm sure an observer (who also knows me as part of a one-to-one relationship) finds it confusing seeing me relating uniquely to others. When there's a whole bunch of people around it is hard for me to focus on only one person, one style. And any given individual might wonder why I seem a little ... different in the group than in person.

OF COURSE, this is not to say I don't have my own personality - still have a core of ME, that is fixed. I do. I just seem to be a shape-shifter!

*warning: inner geek about to be revealed*

Have you ever watched Star Trek TNG? If so, remember the empathic metamorph from the Perfect Mate episode? That's to an extreme of course, but ... I can relate to the character. I feel like this is what I do.

Bronte, I get what you're saying here too:

Quote Originally Posted by bronte View Post
    I'm capable of this too and think its how i connect with people but also why connecting with people is tiring - a feeling of losing yourself.
    I agree with this statement. This type of relating can be an energy-depleting exercise.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I am very capable of this chameleonic behavior. I outstrip my INFP boyfriend in this ability by far.

I have no theories on it.
    haha, same here, I'm lot like this and I'm more proficient at it than the INFPs I know... I sometimes mimick the INFPs. haha

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

A friend pointed out to me that I do this, become who I'm talking to. I think of it more as tuning. I like things to be in close harmony.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

its definitly not a deliberate act, it just kinda happens on its own. I always thought i was bizzare and didnt have my own personality because of this.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Wow, I can honestly say I've never felt that, considering how much of a chameleon I am.
    Only people who had no idea considered me persona non-grata. Like the P.E. teacher at school. Ah ha, when she said I lacked personality, my whole class laughed, and my best friend said "what? are you blind?"
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    Wow, I can honestly say I've never felt that, considering how much of a chameleon I am.
    Only people who had no idea considered me persona non-grata. Like the P.E. teacher at school. Ah ha, when she said I lacked personality, my whole class laughed, and my best friend said "what? are you blind?"
    Lol, who says something like that to someone? Gym teachers, their motivations and their thought processes, will always be a mystery to me.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness