• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP = Copycat?!

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
Perhaps I misunderstood the original question, but I think altering body language as well as what a person says, whether done completely consciously or not, seem to be transcendent of type. I'd guess such behavior better relates to self-preservation, wanting to be accepted, and/or a desiring to create a harmonious atmosphere --- traits commonly found in many different types -- rather than something uniquely INFP. If I had to relate it to MBTI, however, I would probably say this is just Fe (extraverted feeling) in action.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think I'm a copycat. I can only imagine how tiring that would be, trying to be something you're not. I can be a little bit of a social chameleon, but that's far from being a real copycat, and I think almost everyone is to a degree.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read an online profile talking about how INFPs can wear an ESTJ business suit when they need to, although the experience quickly drains them.

INFPs tend to be pretty good with understanding and then internalizing others' emotions. For me, that's the source of my empathy, and it provides a pretty solid start for me to try and 'copy' another type, if that's my objective.

staygold

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
i often do this around people, its mainly speech inflections, certain phrases they use, or physical mannerisms. Specifiically in social situations I find myself doing that, might be some type of defense mechanism.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
For me it is an unconscious adaptation, and I am more aware of it at times than others. But I do relate to this post, the whole concept of being a chameleon. There are only rare times when I am not reading cues from the person I am talking to, modifying my mannerisms, and anticipating what they want from me. Again, I don't do this with any intention. It just happens. And it confused me for a long time why I seemed to adapt to the people around me instead of them adapting to me. I thought it was some kind of personality weakness on my part. Now, I feel happy to have the ability to relate to others on their level and bond this way.

I'm sure an observer (who also knows me as part of a one-to-one relationship) finds it confusing seeing me relating uniquely to others. When there's a whole bunch of people around it is hard for me to focus on only one person, one style. And any given individual might wonder why I seem a little ... different in the group than in person.

OF COURSE, this is not to say I don't have my own personality - still have a core of ME, that is fixed. I do. I just seem to be a shape-shifter!

*warning: inner geek about to be revealed*

Have you ever watched Star Trek TNG? If so, remember the empathic metamorph from the Perfect Mate episode? That's to an extreme of course, but ... I can relate to the character. I feel like this is what I do.

Bronte, I get what you're saying here too:

I'm capable of this too and think its how i connect with people but also why connecting with people is tiring - a feeling of losing yourself.

I agree with this statement. This type of relating can be an energy-depleting exercise.

G

Glycerine

I am very capable of this chameleonic behavior. I outstrip my INFP boyfriend in this ability by far.

I have no theories on it.

haha, same here, I'm lot like this and I'm more proficient at it than the INFPs I know... I sometimes mimick the INFPs. haha

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A friend pointed out to me that I do this, become who I'm talking to. I think of it more as tuning. I like things to be in close harmony.

staygold

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
its definitly not a deliberate act, it just kinda happens on its own. I always thought i was bizzare and didnt have my own personality because of this.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, I can honestly say I've never felt that, considering how much of a chameleon I am.
Only people who had no idea considered me persona non-grata. Like the P.E. teacher at school. Ah ha, when she said I lacked personality, my whole class laughed, and my best friend said "what? are you blind?"

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Wow, I can honestly say I've never felt that, considering how much of a chameleon I am.
Only people who had no idea considered me persona non-grata. Like the P.E. teacher at school. Ah ha, when she said I lacked personality, my whole class laughed, and my best friend said "what? are you blind?"

Lol, who says something like that to someone? Gym teachers, their motivations and their thought processes, will always be a mystery to me.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Lol, who says something like that to someone? Gym teachers, their motivations and their thought processes, will always be a mystery to me.

You may be making this too complicated by assuming they are actually capable of thinking. I never met one who was, anyway. In fact, I don't think I had one who could even get my name right, no matter how many times I told them (and it really isn't that hard).

*Ball thrown at head, calls out unfamiliar name, I look around, mystified, for said individual - BAM!*