User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Copycat? What's a copycat? How much copying are we talking about?

I'm assuming that your question is for non-infps.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I wouldn't say mimic, or copy, but I do mirror to some extent the people around me. I adopt the mannerisms and inflections of speech of others far quicker than the majority of people. I think of it as camoflage.
    It's a rare person who sees me in my natural state.
    I take it it's seen as a bad thing? I see it as a natural step for a empathetic personality, provided you stay true in your self.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

It's because of the empathy that we understand what it's like to be them. Then, since we don't have many boundaries ourselves, we mimic for any reason we come up with.

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

That's so weird, I have a whole obstacle course of boundaries for people who want to get close to navigate through, yet I know what people are feeling (and by deduction what they are thinking, with no effort at all). To the point, I "mirror" mannerisms and inflections of voice of the the people around me.
    When I think about it, it's kinda freakily sci-fi.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

INFP is sometimes called the Chameleon type. I look at it this way: when dealing with people, I "take on" various aspects of their own personalities so I can relate to them. It's not something I do deliberately: that's just naturally how I operate. I still remember (though it was many, many years ago) what a startling idea it was when I realized that other people (perhaps I should say persons of types other than xNFP) actually don't operate that way. Some people are easier to assimilate than others (perhaps the ones who are more unlike me are more difficult to do) and I find it easier to get along with them.

I think these lines from Keats are about this operation; I know it resonates keenly with the folks at INFPgc:

When I am in a room with People, if ever I am free from speculating on creations of my own brain, then not myself goes home to myself; but the identity of everyone in the room begins to press upon me so that I am in a very little time annihilated not only among Men: it would be the same in a Nursery of children. John Keats (Letters, pp. 227f; October 27, 1818)
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I actually do something similar. I will adopt the mannerisms, personalities, niceties that are accepted within a certain group in order to blend in. This excerpt from INTP profile I think describes it pretty well...

Quote Originally Posted by INTProfile
    INTPs dislike making the first move and tend to mirror the emotional content of the other person. A jolly person will quickly bring the INTP out of his shell, as much as that is possible, while a serious person will find a serious INTP looking back at him. In this sense, INTPs preference for intuitive perception (rather than action) with respect to people results in them resembling a chameleon. The INTP can fit into many different modes of behaviour, even contradictory ones, in order to get into the mindset of the other person. The goal is to gain enough intuitive data to analyse and assess the person. In doing this, the INTP remains somewhat reserved, never wholly identifying himself with his surroundings. As chameleons, INTPs are therefore approachable and open, unless the Ne tells the INTP that the other person is a type he doesn't like, in which case the reserved attitude may become too obvious. The chameleon behaviour can be particularly strong when discussing something.
    If INFPs do this too, maybe it's a characteristic of Ne function in introverts? Who knows.

MBTI
    infp

Well for myself I don't think so, I may sometimes appear to the causal observer to be another of the feeling types, but I can't mimic the thinking types lol might try, but can't.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I can to certain degree IRL. Much harder online though, unless it's a topic I'm very much at ease with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am very capable of this chameleonic behavior. I outstrip my INFP boyfriend in this ability by far.

I have no theories on it.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    infp

I'm capable of this too and think its how i connect with people but also why connecting with people is tiring - a feeling of losing yourself
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou