User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    2+1
    Socionics
    ?

Default Why do I get this feeling that I don't know who I am?

Anyone else feel this way?

You know, why do I need an online test to tell me who I am?
    What the he**?
    Why is it that I often feel that I am being someone else, and not just being me? (which is?)

I mean I have some pretty concrete ideas and ideals, but I have to keep reminding myself, "you see you are 1) xyz 2) abc, etc"

Why, why?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4,5?
    Socionics
    INFp

you have to want to reach inside and find that answer. there's a difference between yourself and your self. but the self that only you know doesn't follow suit with the rest of society so you may believe it's off limits and not going there as much you're just not as in touch with it. so sometimes you're all the other selfs you feel you need to be to make things work right.
    the more i be the more i am. if you truly make answering this question a very central part of your life i think you can find some answers. and some more and some more and some more.
    So you were born, and that is a good day.
    And someday you'll die and what a shame.
    But somewhere in the between, theres a life in which we all dream,
    And nothing and no one will ever take that away.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

That's good. If you knew who you are, you'd be really reluctant to change into something that you can be because that would be unknown and unknown is scary. Now you can get to know you, and by doing so, change yourself. The people who know themselves are usually too rigid to see that there is a lot more than meets the eye.

I always have that feeling because every time I get close, myself has morphed again and evolved. I think it was the realisation that I can never catch up that has kept me exploring. You have between life and death to learn as much as possible about yourself and the world, and every time you choose not to without a justified reason, it puts you a few steps back at the end.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    2+1
    Socionics
    ?

but the self that only you know doesn't follow suit with the rest of society so you may believe it's off limits and not going there as much you're just not as in touch with it. so sometimes you're all the other selfs you feel you need to be to make things work right.
    Yes, so true about me, maybe thats why I can't really get in touch with my true self.

the more i be the more i am. if you truly make answering this question a very central part of your life i think you can find some answers. and some more and some more and some more.
    That would be amazing...
    To find the answer...

All the things I like, I don't do, and all the things I do, is because either I have to do them or it's the right or responsible thing to do.

For example, I would love to play sports, like when I was a kid, I was a real tomboy, but now....no sports whatssoever!! I hate that, I want to be free and I want to be me, but I feel I can't, cause that would be strange, society speaking.
    Yknow, like this working Mom, playing basketball, or soccer or whatever, after work just wouldn't look right...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    Why do I get this feeling that I don't know who I am.

Anyone else feel this way?
    Yes.

I'm not really sure who you are either.

All the things I like, I don't do, and all the things I do, is because either I have to do them or it's the right or responsible thing to do...Yknow, like this working Mom, playing basketball, or soccer or whatever, after work just wouldn't look right...
    You're right, hon -- figuring ourselves out is hard business.

And when we get older, there are some things we're definitely expected to do just as part of fitting into whatever culture we were raised in and lived in. It's kind of hard to avoid, even if it's not fair in some ways.

The bottom line is, you can do whatever you like as long as you are willing to pay the cost for it. Some people live on the fringes of society because they're willing to pay anything (even sacrifice social acceptance and economic compliance) to do their own thing.

Your example of being a working mom who plays sports after work, I think, is a splendid idea if you're balancing that with the other responsibilities you've taken on (namely, the kids). If you have people in your life who are willing to support you and make sure everything is covered, and you have the opportunity to play sports [I say that because I have not run across a lot of working mom's basketball/soccer leagues, but maybe you just meant informal time after work], and it means that much to you, I don't see why you should have to give it up just because parents or someone else is criticizing you for doing so (if that is the case).

It's your life; and if you can make it all work, then go for it. I think society does place too many arbitrary limits on things and easily traps people in roles unnecessarily.

Sometimes our needs and desires do change over time. I remember many things I used to consider such a priority before I had kids, and once I had them, my interests just shifted a lot. We do figure out a lot about ourselves, the more opportunities we present ourselves with; but we are also constantly changing and rediscovering who we are and what we like and do not like. Life is sort of exciting that way.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    For example, I would love to play sports, like when I was a kid, I was a real tomboy, but now....no sports whatssoever!! I hate that, I want to be free and I want to be me, but I feel I can't, cause that would be strange, society speaking.
    You know what you should be, so why not be it? Sure, it might seem odd for the people who thought they knew you, but in the long run, do you think they will judge you for being what you are? There's nothing wrong with being a tomboy. Don't let their expectations keep you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think society does place too many arbitrary limits on things and easily traps people in roles unnecessarily.
    Yeah, I never understood why it is so. What motivates people to try and enforce the roles? It would be so much better if we could all just roam free

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    You know what you should be, so why not be it? Sure, it might seem odd for the people who thought they knew you, but in the long run, do you think they will judge you for being what you are? There's nothing wrong with being a tomboy. Don't let their expectations keep you down.
    Yes, frankly, life is too short to be spending it all trying to make everyone else happy, if you're crushing yourself in the process.

In the end, you are unique, and you have something to give that no one else can give; so why do we all say everyone has to be the same and give the same things? There are some basic standards just as part of living, but lots of variety to go along with it.

I think our biggest and most unique contribution in life to others is ourselves; and if we're constantly crushing it or trying to be someone we're not, we're not contributing all we could be.

In terms of contributing the things that make you feel most alive and offer you the deepest ways to engage others, be yourself and let other people deal with it.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

because ur clinically insane? (just an idea)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    because ur clinically insane? (just an idea)
    There's always that.