User Tag List

12 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Default Life and Philosophy

Is it possible for you to live without a philosophy? I realized that for me it would be impossible and depressing to not have a philosophy of my own. Then I started thinking if this is because the core values are put together in my mind and they form this philosophy. Is the philosophy only the values? Could these be separated? If I work against my philosophy, I work against my values. From the animal perspective that is about the same as not following your instinct. Then again, there are lots of values that are wrong from the animal perspective. That implies that there are wrong philosophies. Wrong in the way they deny the animal side of us and deprive us from our animal needs. This would mean that all philosophies that are applicable have to be based on the animal side of us. Does that mean that philosophy is only a detour to instincts?

So, to my questions. What is the reason you have a philosophy and would it be possible to get rid of it? If you started now to put down your life philosophy, would you succeed?

MBTI
    ESTJ

Interesting thoughts. I'm not sure if I can give you a good answer but I'll try. If anything, my life's philosophy is to learn from my mistakes, to keep an open mind, and to continue to grow towards a horizon that is always broadening.

In that way, I don't believe I have a set philosophy. Its almost as if my philosophy is to always find a better one each day. If I tried to act against that I would be immensely unhappy. Could I live without a philosophy? No. In a way its what makes me alive and keeps me going when nothing else can.

What is your philosophy Nolla?

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Even if you have a philosophy of no philosophy, that is still philosophy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Is it possible for you to live without a philosophy? I realized that for me it would be impossible and depressing to not have a philosophy of my own. Then I started thinking if this is because the core values are put together in my mind and they form this philosophy. Is the philosophy only the values? Could these be separated? If I work against my philosophy, I work against my values. From the animal perspective that is about the same as not following your instinct. Then again, there are lots of values that are wrong from the animal perspective. That implies that there are wrong philosophies. Wrong in the way they deny the animal side of us and deprive us from our animal needs. This would mean that all philosophies that are applicable have to be based on the animal side of us. Does that mean that philosophy is only a detour to instincts?

So, to my questions. What is the reason you have a philosophy and would it be possible to get rid of it? If you started now to put down your life philosophy, would you succeed?
    A philosophy is not the question you place to the other party.
    It is the question you place to yourself.

Questions are never answered.
    Only answers are questioned.

My philosophy is nihilism

well no.. I cannot determine if I live by a philosophy, I have my values which I live by, someone might call it philosophy if he want. (but nihilism is one of more appealing defined philosophies for me , yeah)

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    What is your philosophy Nolla?

Quite close to yours, actually. It's something not static. I think it is a set of values that feed personal growth. Then, as I grow, some values gain strength as I understand them better. Some values lose their meaning. Still, the point is that I need to have that one "punch line" that defines me. Maybe my philosophy is personal growth. I believe that there is something more I could be. I think there was a time when I didn't have this thought and I was very depressed. Which is kinda strange. If we think that we are animals, why do we need to define ourselves in order to feel happy? Is it that I was living a way that would have led me to my end? I don't suppose that any of us could act against our instincts for too long. At some point the depression would have killed me (physically, mentally or spiritually). Maybe...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Hmm this is interesting...

I do think everyone has a general philosophy they live by, whether they realize it or not..

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Hmm this is interesting...

I do think everyone has a general philosophy they live by, whether they realize it or not..
    Yes, I was going to say that there are probably lots of people who live by their own "philosophy," but wouldn't think about it in that way.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Really interesting thread

Quote Originally Posted by nolla
    Maybe my philosophy is personal growth. I believe that there is something more I could be.
    I totally relate to this. I connect a lot of what I do to growth. I get a deep sense of satisfaction when I do something that has meaning, or I feel is helping me change. My 'views' are a lot more fluid, i.e. politics, religion etc. but deep down I think self improvement is kind of my compass. Part of the reason I like reading, and try and encourage myself to make more time for it, is that I love the feeling that I get after I finish a book that makes me view things differently, or that gives me an insight in to feelings I don't quite understand. It's rare that books have such an impact, but I rarely read trashy novels because of it, not that there's anything wrong with trashy novels. It's part of the reason I love meeting people too; when I understand someone else, in some strange way I understand myself that little bit more. Often people I don't know very well get put on the back foot when I ask them personal or probing questions, maybe it comes across as nosiness, but I have a sincere desire to understand who people are and how they live, it gives me a lot of perspective. Plus, other people are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet
    Without a doubt. Humans need something to live by, I strongly believe that everyone has certain principles that they cling to pretty closely. Most people just don't like to admit it.
    We don't need reason and we don't need logic, 'cause we've got feeling and we're damn proud of it!

Speeding Motorcycle - Daniel Johnston

garbage

It's possible, but I'd argue that you might be happier with one.

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People talks about becoming principle-centered. In short, this means that, rather than basing your happiness on your achievements or interpersonal relationships, you base it on a set of core principles, possibly derived from a personal mission statement.

This is because these principles never change, whereas you may always fail to achieve something and become upset, or you may break off a relationship and become distraught. So as long as you abide by your principles and adopt that mindset, you'll be more content on the whole. Adherence to those principles will also positively affect the other areas of your life, such as your ability to achieve and your relationships.

Easier said than done, of course.

I think that's similar to a life philosophy, right? Just.. as seen from an extremely practical manner?