• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Do INFPs often question their type? Or is it just me?

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I dunno where to post this, sorry! This seemed like the best spot, and sorry if it has been posted before!

But it doesn't matter how often I take a test, or how many little things I spot myself doing (such as talking to myself, or never being able to make a decision until the last moment) I always question my type! The INFP descriptions I have read seem decently accurate and I have had several people confirm my results. But I always second guess it! Once I've retaken a test, and read the results again I'm ok... for about another week :p, then Im at it again!

Do any of you do this as well? Mebe its not even an isolated INFP incident? /shrug

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
:yes: I can't think of another type that is as prone to doing this as INFP is . . . as far as this board is concerned, at least.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
LOL thank goodness another INFP has admitted to this, I have known about being an INFP for maybe 3 yrs now and I still, STILL, question it over and over again.

I fit the type descriptions, yet I keep questioning it. :yes:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Is there anything INFPs don't question about themselves?

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
LOL thank goodness another INFP has admitted to this, I have known about being an INFP for maybe 3 yrs now and I still, STILL, question it over and over again.

I fit the type descriptions, yet I keep questioning it. :yes:

I kind of want to quote all of your answers but...

*Giant sigh of relief*

Thanks, I feel better now :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've wondered if I was an INFP..does that count?

lane777

nevermore
I dunno where to post this, sorry! This seemed like the best spot, and sorry if it has been posted before!

But it doesn't matter how often I take a test, or how many little things I spot myself doing (such as talking to myself, or never being able to make a decision until the last moment) I always question my type! The INFP descriptions I have read seem decently accurate and I have had several people confirm my results. But I always second guess it! Once I've retaken a test, and read the results again I'm ok... for about another week :p, then Im at it again!

Do any of you do this as well? Mebe its not even an isolated INFP incident? /shrug

Originally I thought INFJ. Then I tried INFP for awhile there, but too many people keep telling me I'm INFJ or ISFJ. Apparently, INFJ's are a varied type - two INFJ's in the same room can be a stark contrast. I also hear, INFJ's possess the mildest form of Fe and J of all the types which share these functions, which is why INFJ's are so easily mistyped. Perhaps you're an INFJ...

S

Sniffles

Yeah I was about to say that INFPs and INFJs often are mistaken for each other. This happened to me, since I often test INFP on tests.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I do a lot..I feel extroverted sometimes, yet I don't feel like I am. In other words, I'm not extremely quiet, and I do like to joke around sometimes..but I don't talk about my feelings, and I do keep a lot of my thoughts and opinions inside. If I were to feel like any other type it would be ENFP.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do a lot..I feel extroverted sometimes, yet I don't feel like I am. In other words, I'm not extremely quiet, and I do like to joke around sometimes..but I don't talk about my feelings, and I do keep a lot of my thoughts and opinions inside. If I were to feel like any other type it would be ENFP.

Hehe, that's why I sometimes doubt my type as well. When I've been hurt by the world, I kinda turn INFP. I lock up my feelings so the rest won't see, and I'll still be sociable, but more silent, less willing to show what's on my mind and worse even, in my heart.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've tested as INFJ and INFX, but the person I live with now is convinced I am an INFP because he says he can't see any evidence of J-ness. I don't find any description to quite fit. I tend to bounce between the INFJ and INFP descriptions, but am also not a particularly strong F from what I understand of what that means. I also find that people have some conflicting stereotypes between the INFP and INFJ, so it makes it especially unclear. When INFPs are described as more open ended and have trouble making decisions then I think that is the better fit. When INFJs are described as more abstract with a stronger T, then that seems like the one. The poetic justice bit associated with INFJs doesn't fit me very well and neither does being opinionated, but neither does an INFP tendency towards disorganization. It might be that my understanding is incomplete or flawed. I do know myself to be abstract and analytical, and I prefer to keep ideas open-ended. In a certain way I feel like I have two personalities: INTJ and INFP depending on context, and so INFJ seems like the middle road between the two.

Maybe part of the problem here is that people who test INF tend to be fairly self-aware and are more likely to see the limitations of categorizing personality?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, and INFPs often believe they are other types. I think it is because they are so fluid and can easily fit into the style of other types.

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
empathy can get so strong that we believe we are more like others around us. The questioning about ourselves is because we are continually trying to hone ourselves to become better than ourselves. Kind of a paradox to others huh?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definitely common. I thought I might have been INTJ for while, but then I realized it was just an Ni/Te hickup.

It does sadden me when I see a thread where someone is basically celebrating that they are no longer INFP, though. I've seen it a few times here and at INFPgc. I think part of the problem is that some INFPs don't want to be INFP.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Definitely common. I thought I might have been INTJ for while, but then I realized it was just an Ni/Te hickup.

It does sadden me when I see a thread where someone is basically celebrating that they are no longer INFP, though. I've seen it a few times here and at INFPgc. I think part of the problem is that some INFPs don't want to be INFP.

I've always kind of wanted to be an INFP...their descriptions (sans the illogical stuff) make them seem mystical and deep. And when I first read Mansfield Park, I found the character of Fanny (whom I believe to be an INFP) to be an extremely fascinating and empathetic character. At first I thought it was because I could relate to her, but now I think that it's because I get a weird pleasure from observing INFPs from afar...like their lives are more interesting than my own or something.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I was raised very strongly ISTJ and it took quite a while to develop my personality. Being in the working world didn't help the process much as I was driven to succeed so my IXTJ Functioned best in that arena.

I always knew I was an En but didn't know what to make of that. I did my math problems using En which always made it difficult. Understatement of the year. For a while I thought I had a learning disability.

I also wondered why the people around me couldn't understand concepts I was attempting to communicate.

In my thirties I began to wonder if I had MPD! Those first thirty years were difficult.

After raising children and doing some personal therapy I think my my inner child had healed enough and finally gotten permission to surface. Until I understood that she was not allowed to be in charge of my life there were many glitches and poor choices.

I am very solidly INFP now and satisfied with how I'm growing/changing. It was confusing for quite a while until I found some psychological tools to help me frame what I was all about. Once I had a vague outline I felt more affirmed and confident.

ferrisbueller

MBTI Type
ENFP
My mom is an INFP who questions her type constantly. She often wonders if she is an ENFP, but I just think she's jealous :)

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Originally I thought INFJ. Then I tried INFP for awhile there, but too many people keep telling me I'm INFJ or ISFJ. Apparently, INFJ's are a varied type - two INFJ's in the same room can be a stark contrast. I also hear, INFJ's possess the mildest form of Fe and J of all the types which share these functions, which is why INFJ's are so easily mistyped. Perhaps you're an INFJ...

Mmm, my P is probably my strongest function. followed by N, its my I that I wonder about the most... I do jump from INFP to ENFP depending on the group I'm in I think. If they are people I know very well, then I tend to be more extroverted, but I suppose everybody does that. Anybody else notice such a correlation?

Heck, I love being an INFP! Thats why I was worried! (And probaby will be again, despite the encouraging answers ;P)