User Tag List

123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Why are emotions important?

I do not intend this as flaming. I am hoping you guys can help me out here as I am often baffled by F types. Especially the NFs. I respect the differences in personality, but how is emotion necessary to society?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Who needs emotions?

Not I.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

a) It creates a bond between people which allows society to exist at all
    b) It allows for empathy which makes people care about one another, hence again ensuring that society will take care of the people that are part of it
    c) Ever seen the matrix? The robots have a 'society' without emotions and work together only for a common goal. And many are sacrificed in the process. Not to mention that they have no ethical filter on their cold logic.

Good emotions make us want to do or experience something again, because we like the feeling, for example 'love' (or even just lust) It also ensures that we find a mate and stay with her/him, in order to raise children. It also means we're capable of self-sacrifice in order to save your child and therefore continue the species. It can override the drive to survive (one of the few things that can).

'Bad' emotions make us react to or avoid a potentially harmful situation. Jealousy for instance, is an emotion which nobody likes. But it has its function. It makes you aware that your partner is investing his time and resources in a potential other mate, which could harm your (future) children. From a female perspective, she needs a guy around to help ensure her child will get the best and is therefore weary of any women who will bear her mate a child as well, as this will split his focus and resources. From a guy's perspective, you never know for sure that the time and resources you spend on a child is actually being spent on your child, as you have no way of knowing if it is truly yours. The only way to make sure is to stay close to your mate and make sure she doesn't have contact with other men in that way.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Necessary? Emotions simply are...they cannot be wished away. Sure they're frustrating and wasteful of energy and messy...but I like art and music and passion...It passes the time in a more pleasant way.

Emotions are what drive people to do, create, innovate they are the "fire in the belly"...I suppose we could exist without them but I wouldn't call that living.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    a) It creates a bond between people which allows society to exist at all
    b) It allows for empathy which makes people care about one another, hence again ensuring that society will take care of the people that are part of it
    I enjoy volunteering, but I've never been able to connect (emotionally) to the people I'm working with and for... and that's really the most beneficial aspect for the people being helped. In Russia, we weren't allowed to do very much outside of crafts (not so life changing), but the NF's in the group befriended the orphans quickly and were able to make them laugh... outside of the people in my group and those orphans, no one smiled or laughed in Yaroslavl, Russia... unless you count the crazy man who drove us around 100mph on icy roads. We actually weren't allowed to give the kids anything (including candy/food), so all we really had to offer was an emotional connection... and it seemed to mean quite a bit to them.

The human being is a bundle of emotions. Nothing else.

Emotion is what breathes Life into being.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Ha, they're important cause they exist, and we have to deal with them everyday kinda like taking a dump, it's not pretty, it's not fun, but you have to do it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

emotions are not 'important' u damn tree huger : P. If you ask a question to somehow objectively judge emotion, you can't use subjective words.
    I'm so disapointed in you, you told me you were an INTP. Or was it a slick way to get all the NF answering to the thread ?

As said before, Emotions just are.
    It's an evolutionary thing and has it's own reproductive values. Helped most 'advanced' life forms to survive in a better way than pure instincts did. More importantly, it's what allow social animals to bond.
    This effect is especially important in animals such as humans, the complexity of our nervous system makes it technically 'compulsory' to have something much more complex than simple instincts, such as, for example, empathy. Also, our advanced cognitive capacities make a 'feelingless\loveless' human less likely to be tempted by reproduction and caring for the young, even if the instinctual drive is strong.

Now I know some people get all depressed when you tell them that the world isn't actually made of cookies but hey, I don't see the contradiction. Living your life and understanding it are not exclusive or something.

The real question would be: How come people such as ENTPS, rational extroverts, are usually (in my experience) so cheerful and people loving if they're 'Feeling' function is pretty weak.
    Is the N function related to F in the brain ? and what about ESTx ?

I do no know.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    emotions are not 'important' u damn tree huger :P

<----Erm!!! There will be no treehugger-bashing!
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”