123 Last

Thread: right and wrong

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Default right and wrong

So I am wondering whether NFs consider their views about right and wrong to be objective or subjective. The INFP I know refuses to accept any form of absolutism, even though he seems to have an unbending stance on several issues when I ask him about specifics. It's this "I don't judge" attitude. He sees me as having a mostly black and white view, so is this an NF thing? Do NFs have any sense of universal morality or ethics, do they just not admit to it, or are all of them relativists?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

There is such a thing as right and wrong. It just doesn't have much application regarding human beings, because we're all imperfect. And at the great risk of sounding sanctimonious, nobody make me the judge. The commandment I got was "love one another." That is the more important than right or wrong.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

So to love is right and to hate is wrong then, correct? That's exactly the kind of response...

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    So to love is right and to hate is wrong then, correct? That's exactly the kind of response...

My favorite phrase, or way of looking at it, comes from a keychain I once saw...

"I don't discriminate. I hate everyone equally."

I can't speak for other NFs, but I can speak for myself...I'm not always so easily persuaded, but I also don't always think I'm 'right', however when I do think or KNOW that I am right, you're going to get an argument if you blatantly disagree and tell me that I am wrong. My logic might not make sense to some people, but if it makes sense to me then I'm going to go with it... Not to say my opinions can't be changed, however. It just all depends on the approach or if I think it perhaps makes better sense than what I believe.

...on the other hand, the 'non-judgmental' side of me says 'believe what you like, I'll believe what I like, if you don't cross the line, we can coexist peacefully side by side...'.
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

That helps. So it's kind of like dividing a room with some one and saying "Don't touch my stuff, or you're going to get an argument." Is the "line" you mentioned limited to things that affect you, that affect you and and those close to you, that affect everyone?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Right is when I'm not going left. Wrong is when I want to go right but I still got left for some reason.
    Do I get a cookie for answering correctly ?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    So I am wondering whether NFs consider their views about right and wrong to be objective or subjective. The INFP I know refuses to accept any form of absolutism, even though he seems to have an unbending stance on several issues when I ask him about specifics. It's this "I don't judge" attitude. He sees me as having a mostly black and white view, so is this an NF thing? Do NFs have any sense of universal morality or ethics, do they just not admit to it, or are all of them relativists?
    I can relate to your INFP friend a lot. But I still like to believe that my "unbending stances" are at least partially based on logic.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Yeah the kantian view on logic is good I guess, it allow for the NT and NF views to really converge
    It's basically about how we do or do not do things based on the way the world would be if EVERYBODY did it.
    If I steal, and I ask myself "what if everybody does that", and so on for everything.
    It's both based upon logics and empathy.

But then Right , Wrong and the rest of morals are still social constructs, you wouldn't need them if you were living in a cave or whatever.

From an evolutionary perspective I'd have to say some things are just encoded into us. Take a lion, a lion wouldn't eat he's kids if hungry. The same kind of rules apply to humans.
    So yeh, 'morals' have as a base; some evolutionary imperatives, but it doesn't make them intellectually 'righter'.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Yeah the kantian view on logic is good I guess, it allow for the NT and NF views to really converge
    It's basically about how we do or do not do things based on the way the world would be if EVERYBODY did it.
    If I steal, and I ask myself "what if everybody does that", and so on for everything.
    It's both based upon logics and empathy.

But then Right , Wrong and the rest of morals are still social constructs, you wouldn't need them if you were living in a cave or whatever.
    I disagree with the last part, but what I'm hearing is kinda familiar. Do you consider yourself a moral relativist?