User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: procrastination

MBTI
    ENFP

Default procrastination

I have a HUGE problem with this (probably because i'm an enfp)! The past two days I wrote two full papers in the morning because i've been literally unable to do them even the day before they were due. Yesterday I woke up at 5, picked a topic, and wrote a whole 8 page research paper in 4.5 hours.

The thing is, even though I CANNOT work on things before the last minute most times, when I actually sit down and do something at the last possible minute, they turn out pretty well (yeah communication skills!).

Tips, anyone? I'm sure some enfp has figured out how to combat this annoying habit
    What's up universe?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Sell your computer and buy a typewriter?

MBTI
    ENFP

awww, that'd be so cool!

...but i need spellcheck
    What's up universe?

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not an ENFP

and I have the same problem, so any of my advice would probably be futile and I ought to be following it myself. [I mean with procrastination...]. Um, say no to plans which will clearly conflict with when you ought to be doing work and stay away from distractions? Lock yourself in a room...unplug your modem and hide it while working on papers so you're not tempted to chat online?
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Ah man, then form an editing group. I'm not saying I follow my own advice because I need to, but how about some pressure, popcorn?

Why do you think it's an annoying habit? You have just done your works, later or sooner, no matter. But if you are working on something really important, one thing is the motivation itself - I must do it in time because..., and the second thing which could help is to immediately stop doing all the crap, and just start doing the work without thinking. Then, as you said, you are pulled inside and accomplish it in one big burst.

MBTI
    ENFP

i guess my real problem is that when i should be working, i'll absorb myself in doing ANYHTING else (like taking a personality test and finding this forum), OR is there're any people around, I kinda HAVE to be with them--even if they're not doing anything, even if they're all doing homework.

locking myself in my rom might work, but i'd just be thinking the whole time about how there are people haning out and I'm not with them and i guess i could put this off for another day becasue it's not like i'm actually doing work on it now so i'll just end up not enjoying myself AND not doing anything so i might as well at least have fun right now so i'll only have one day where i have to miss doing stuff instead of two.
    What's up universe?

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Gauche View Post
    just start doing the work without thinking. Then, as you said, you are pulled inside and accomplish it in one big burst.
    hmm, that seems like something i should try
    What's up universe?

Quote Originally Posted by aufs klo View Post
    hmm, that seems like something i should try
    You know, the hardest part is to start. With all the temptations what could you do instead, and that "well, I could still put it off on tomorrow" and then "well, I could still put it off on the evening", and then "well, I could still put it off on the morning" it's hard to start. But, if you just start doing it, you will become absorbed in topic, and you know, rolling train is harder to stop then, if you know what I mean.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Well...papers can seem overwhelming I guess. Especially those ones that are 8 pages or more. I suggest you try to do it a little bit at a time. I don't know what else to say but this.

Whenever I have a huge paper, and procrastination hits, I decide to split up the paper. Maybe do one page a day. Thats usually more than enough time to get the paper done. This almost seems silly to suggest to an ENFP but outlines help.