• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] procrastination

sade

i used to be pretty bad about that in highschool, but i've since figured out how to work a little bit better. those utterly bullshit assignments still get me though... thank god i can talk my way out of stuff!
To this day I wonder how I managed to pass highschool. :D

gonzo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hi,

As you may expect, I also face a huge problem with procrastination.

It hasn't always been a real issue since the work was done, even in a hurry, when i was kept in a structure (university, newspapers, etc.). Since the job was ok, people would let me do it on my way. It was just hard for me to live, but, eh, exciting too. And i could always think: What if i had had a bit more time? That would have been perfect! (promising myself an ealier start the next time...)

But, with time, it really becomes an issue (and i'm just talking about work...). For me, it's more obvious since i work on my own - something i really wanted to do in my life - with a view to realising stuff 'i have always dreamed to realise". Believe me, you can get extremely tired by continually canceling deadlines, fighting with yourself everyday, disappointing people and yourself, leaving a story for new one...

... I guess i could speak about this for hours but, since this forum is about tips, and to make it short, i would just give two tips woking for me, knowing that any production of a paper is based on various steps - including collecting the information, defining an approach and, yes, defining a structure, be it conscious or not.

So, a structure. It's really not in my nature to work on a structure (aufs klo), but it helps to start writing and to get a good paper. How do i do? I just write the key elements of the text. Maybe it will only take a few minutes, maybe you will already identify a problem. And then, you may just stare at it or do something else, but some kind of structure should appear, even a basic one. This would give you the impulsion for the next step (writing).

With regards to writing, you say you do it at the very last moment. Well, again this is not natural for me, but it works much better if i impose myself at least a draft with long hand. This draft, you cannot write it the night before, you have to write it earlier. I impose long hand because i wouldn't play the game on the computer, not considering the text as a draft. While on a paper, well, it can only be a draft.

There you feel free and can have a real pleasure by writing. One idea comes after the other one, and it doesn't need to follow the proposed structure - which is only there to help.

Well, you made it. You sleep on it. You work on a new structure for the final document. You turn on your computer and will feel much more confortable, more precise, etc.

Well, it can also be much more complicated, but hope this can help!

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I have a HUGE problem with this (probably because i'm an enfp)! The past two days I wrote two full papers in the morning because i've been literally unable to do them even the day before they were due. Yesterday I woke up at 5, picked a topic, and wrote a whole 8 page research paper in 4.5 hours.

The thing is, even though I CANNOT work on things before the last minute most times, when I actually sit down and do something at the last possible minute, they turn out pretty well (yeah communication skills!).

Tips, anyone? I'm sure some enfp has figured out how to combat this annoying habit

I don't fight it, I just acknowledge that's how I am. I do need hard deadlines though, otherwise nothing gets done. I can't invent deadlines for myself - my mind just doesn't take them seriously.

Structured procrastination ftw.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I have a HUGE problem with this (probably because i'm an enfp)! The past two days I wrote two full papers in the morning because i've been literally unable to do them even the day before they were due. Yesterday I woke up at 5, picked a topic, and wrote a whole 8 page research paper in 4.5 hours.

The thing is, even though I CANNOT work on things before the last minute most times, when I actually sit down and do something at the last possible minute, they turn out pretty well (yeah communication skills!).

Tips, anyone? I'm sure some enfp has figured out how to combat this annoying habit

I'm an ENFJ and I make plans way in advance but never make steps to implement them until right before something is about to happen. But I find at least thinking about it in advance makes the last minute scramble work somehow.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Up until recently I've studied just hours before my tests and been fine. I usually go to the school a few hours before major papers / projects are due and do 90% of them as well, it's never failed.

Procrastination is fine as long as you make it your bitch.

staygold

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
i would put off like 8 page papers until the morning they were due, and id wake up at 4 or 5am and just write my ass off before class, i almost always got A's doing that

gonzo

MBTI Type
ENFP
"As you explore why you procrastinate and experiment with strategies for working differently, don't expect overnight transformation. You developed the procrastination habit over a long period of time; you aren't going to stop magically. But you can change the behavior, bit by bit. If you stop punishing yourself when you procrastinate and start rewarding yourself for your small successes, you will eventually develop new writing habits. And you will get a lot more sleep."

>> Procrastination

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Remove all distractions. Sometimes I have to turn my computer off, or go into a room without any distractions. I have a secondary office that has no computer, no phone, just a whiteboard and a lot of desk space. The library can sometimes be good too.

This can backfire, though. Earlier today I was getting really bored and frustrated because I was alone in that bare office with nothing to do but grading... and you don't want to grade when you're frustrated! I would have wound up giving the students all horrible grades haha