First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Wow, I feel like I have some great power of manipulation that I haven't been using.
    Hey...I thought the same thing nearly a year later.

I just don't see the point in manipulation. I get what I want by my own honest work and sheer brute force, and I don't put myself in positions to need anything from someone else. Sometimes I will kid around with people, but that's just my own personality quirk and not something most or all INFJs will do. Evan's example of INFJ manipulation seems more or less like normal INFJ behavior, once you take out the strategic wording. It is genuine, not premeditated to bend you to their will. If honestly reacting to others' feelings, telling the truth, and caring about others is manipulation, then I guess I am master manipulator. But I think most INFJs aren't "plotting" on you with this behavior. As for the others: don't let a couple of bad eggs serve as examples of standard INFJ protocol.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Manipulation is the tool of a coward who can't get what they want through honest means.

They have to resort to tricking those who are either more intellectually or emotionally immature.
    +Infinity
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    +Infinity
    Quoted to support post, or QTSTP
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

Ginkgo

I think that ENTPs are natural born manipulators, while INFJs are naturally able to see past manipulation.

ENTPs are more passive about it, along with all of the other NPs. They often don't want to be noticed, and thus they "manipulate" rather than force.

INJs aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. They just do whatever is necessary without always caring about being seen (as much). INJs don't usually feel the need to subtly manipulate.

Sure, ENTPs are extroverts. This means that they can often be outspoken. However, their choices of words are more indirect and informative.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Eh...to the thread title, neither are 'more', neither are 'less'. Everyone has the potential to manipulate if they choose.

Others have already said it, but ANY and ALL types can be manipulative. Just different manners of manipulating, that's all. Some types are much more subtle, some more passive-aggressive, some types are more overt, some types are more cunning, etc.

Plus you have the fact that a person might interpret the behavior of another person as being manipulating in nature, when in fact it is not and the intent/motivation behind the behavior is not manipulative in the slightest. In that case the perceiver/interpreter of the behavior is most likely projecting his own insecurities or the fact that if he did the behavior, he would be in fact manipulating the other.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Plus you have the fact that a person might interpret the behavior of another person as being manipulating in nature, when in fact it is not and the intent/motivation behind the behavior is not manipulative in the slightest. In that case the perceiver/interpreter of the behavior is most likely projecting his own insecurities or the fact that if he did the behavior, he would be in fact manipulating the other.
    Indeed. I didn't want to use the hackneyed expression of "projecting," but I think it applies very much here.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cenomite View Post
    This is all true! Especially the first paragraph.

It's easy for me to see what causes someone to make a certain decision, or what drives them, but I'm not too great at using that to make them do what I want. Even if I was, I'd feel like an ass if I did.

I mostly just use that knowledge to help understand how I should talk to certain people; not necessarily to get what I want from them, but to have a better relationship in-general with them by avoiding annoying misunderstandings. In a work setting, I do admit that I use that info to make myself seem better, but I wouldn't really call that manipulation. I'll also use that info to my advantage if someone is trying to mess with me, obviously.
    It's the fact that we use that knowledge to navigate the political waters of given institutions that make it seem like 'manipulation'.
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full." Lucius Cornelius Sulla

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Manipulation is the tool of a coward who can't get what they want through honest means.

They have to resort to tricking those who are either more intellectually or emotionally immature.
    As opposed to flat out good old fashioned honest strong arm coercion and force (says the ENTJ)!

Coercion and force have their place.......I prefer subtlety as a rule.
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full." Lucius Cornelius Sulla

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmac_46 View Post
    As opposed to flat out good old fashioned honest strong arm coercion and force (says the ENTJ)!
    Yup. ENTJs rock.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    INJs aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. They just do whatever is necessary without always caring about being seen (as much). INJs don't usually feel the need to subtly manipulate.
    Yes, I get the irony of an INFJ pretending to be INFP for the purposes of manipulation/experimentation on others and then saying that INJs don't manipulate. You cruel, cruel bastard.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?