User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Can you move from J to P?

I took the MBTI (at humanmetrics) maybe a year or two ago and was typed as an INFJ. After taking a pencil-and-paper version of the MBTI a few weeks ago with someone who is licensed to administer it, my type came out to an INFP, with my preference scores being I (19), N (35), F (0), and P (13). I took the test at humanmetrics again today to see what result I'd get, and I was again deemed an INFP, this time with a much stronger NF.

Anyway, is it really possible to go from a J to a P? Do you think it may have been a fluke the first time? Is it common to get a different result if you take the MBTI more than once?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

While one can certainly go from having more of the characteristics associated with a J to having more of the characteristics associated with a P, "going from J to P" would be such a fundamental shift in psychology that I have to doubt the extent to which it is possible.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    While one can certainly go from having more of the characteristics associated with a J to having more of the characteristics associated with a P, "going from J to P" would be such a fundamental shift in psychology that I have to doubt the extent to which it is possible.
    That's what I thought as well. Ultimately it is the INFP description I identify with...I just wondered what others believed.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I've heard of several INFP's mistyped as INFJ's and vice versa. I think certain tests have a weakness for distinguishing between the J and P for INF's.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Your type cant change, though you may start acting like more of a J when you're a P and confuse yourself for a J. You can only be one or the other, its about the way your unconscious mind works, not your personality.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In MBTI, J/P are not traits in themselves, it describes whether you extrovert a perceiving function (S or N) or a judging function (T or F).

INFP = Fi + Ne
    INFJ = Ni + Fe

So shifting from J to P means that your primary and secondary functions are also different -- you have a completely different basis for your personality.

So usually it means, if you shifted to a P mode now and feel the INFP is better a description, you were forced to find closure on things while younger that you would have rather left open-ended. Environment, family, certain occupations/school, all of these things impact our ability and desire for closure...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So usually it means, if you shifted to a P mode now and feel the INFP is better a description, you were forced to find closure on things while younger that you would have rather left open-ended. Environment, family, certain occupations/school, all of these things impact our ability and desire for closure...
    Can you give an example of this?

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    In MBTI, J/P are not traits in themselves, it describes whether you extrovert a perceiving function (S or N) or a judging function (T or F).

INFP = Fi + Ne
    INFJ = Ni + Fe

So shifting from J to P means that your primary and secondary functions are also different -- you have a completely different basis for your personality.

Well, usually when you're in that situation, it seems like you were forced to find closure in those things, but otherwise would have preferred not to. Perhaps would have been happier and functioned better if you didn't. Hence at your essence you were always a P who was forced to act like a J. Now you're just discovering something about yourself that was always true, your temperament did not change.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyrella View Post
    Can you give an example of this?
    Oh, well, for example, if you are raised in a family with J parents or some other sort of regimented environment (such as boys who go to military school), often a P will develop skills that are closure-oriented... because they are not permitted to be open-ended.

Or perhaps your parents are off-balance in some way. So if you are open-ended, perhaps they take advantage of you or emotionally manipulate/hurt you. Being open-ended is not only not rewarding, but is punishable and/or leads to pain. So you cannot afford to be open-ended, if you want to survive and keep your sense of self intact.

Or perhaps your peers are very ambitious and controlling and driving, so to either survive them or accommodate them you have to become very closure-oriented as well, rather than let things draw out.

Some people here have described how they had to become more closure-oriented because of a job they had, that they couldn't quit.

Does that help?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Thanks Jennifer, that does help. My P tendencies were not encouraged by my parents and were certainly not encouraged in K-12 school. So that definitely makes sense. Where I'm at in life now, I am comfortable and have come to terms with that part of my personality.