User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 77

Thread: NFs and smilies

  1. #1
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp
    Posts
    8,697

    Default NFs and smilies

    This probably works for SFs to.


    When you are reading a post is it harder for you to read it if there is no smilies in it or you are maybe somewhat annoyed with posts that have no smilies in it?

    What do you think about huge post that are written on more or less impersonal level? They have a lot of imformation but no smilies at all.
    Do similies make it easier for you to understand the post?


    Or you need smilies only in posts that are personal.
    (if there is any truth in this theory)

  2. #2
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,658

    Default

    Smilies help prevent misunderstandings, I feel. It allows the reader to realize that it's a light-hearted comment and should be taken as such. It prevents feelings from getting hurt, comments being misinterpreted etc etc. Plus, I enjoy being able to somewhat portray my bodylanguage, despite the fact that we're both behind computers.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    325

    Default

    I like to use smilies, they give another vibe to the message. It's kind of what Amargith said.

    But I don't find it more difficult to read a post without smilies....but if it's very long, it may get a little difficult( or boring).

  4. #4
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    This probably works for SFs to.


    When you are reading a post is it harder for you to read it if there is no smilies in it or you are maybe somewhat annoyed with posts that have no smilies in it?

    What do you think about huge post that are written on more or less impersonal level? They have a lot of imformation but no smilies at all.
    Do similies make it easier for you to understand the post?


    Or you need smilies only in posts that are personal.
    (if there is any truth in this theory)
    I don't think I care much about smilies. I appreciate them in personal posts, but if the words are chosen well enough, smilies aren't necessary to me. In impersonal posts... I actually think they look unprofessional and childish.

    I do find smilies more helpful on AIM and such, since you're communicating in real time and don't have as much time to think about how you're saying something.

  5. #5
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp
    Posts
    8,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Smilies help prevent misunderstandings, I feel. It allows the reader to realize that it's a light-hearted comment and should be taken as such. It prevents feelings from getting hurt, comments being misinterpreted etc etc. Plus, I enjoy being able to somewhat portray my bodylanguage, despite the fact that we're both behind computers.
    Would this mean that you can be more agressive in your approach and then then soften up entire impression with smilies?

  6. #6
    Revelation Lauren Ashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Too many smilies is distracting. Especially ones that move; I'll try to read faster to get past this thing that is moving on my screen. I only use smilies if I feel like something might be interpreted in a way that I hadn't meant it to be, or in personal posts/messages. If I'm just discussing something impersonally then I would rather not use smilies.

  7. #7
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Would this mean that you can be more agressive in your approach and then then soften up entire impression with smilies?
    Well, it allows you to joke around more and make bolder statements I guess, while indicating it is a joke. I have no problem not using smileys when talking about something serious. It also livens up the conversation, much like bodylanguage does with a normal conversation, I feel.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  8. #8
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp
    Posts
    8,697

    Default

    So it looks like that smilies play large roll from NF perspective.

  9. #9
    Senior Member mlittrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    i use smiles when being less serious. if im being serious it doesn't mean im unhappy though lol.

    also "lol" applies imho
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

    "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

    "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

    Mahatma Gandhi

    Enneagram: 9w1

  10. #10
    Senior Member Wild horses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,917

    Default

    I just like em... they don't add to my understanding at all really, may attract my attention a little and so aid my concentration levels and can help me get more of a jist esp if I am skim reading which I do alot.. But all in all I just like em, they are fun and pretty and colourful
    ... couldn't drag me away

    eljko Ranatovic: argus
    eljko Ranatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    eljko Ranatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] NF and ADD
    By GZA in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 06:46 AM
  2. [MBTItm] NF and NT... drawn together like moth to flame
    By sakuraba in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 04:00 PM
  3. [INFP] NFs and pride, conflict, attitude?
    By Cindyrella in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-27-2008, 07:23 AM
  4. [NF] NFs and religion
    By Cordiform in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 02:15 PM
  5. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO