• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and smilies

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This probably works for SFs to.

When you are reading a post is it harder for you to read it if there is no smilies in it or you are maybe somewhat annoyed with posts that have no smilies in it?

What do you think about huge post that are written on more or less impersonal level? They have a lot of imformation but no smilies at all.
Do similies make it easier for you to understand the post?

Or you need smilies only in posts that are personal.
(if there is any truth in this theory)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Smilies help prevent misunderstandings, I feel. It allows the reader to realize that it's a light-hearted comment and should be taken as such. It prevents feelings from getting hurt, comments being misinterpreted etc etc. Plus, I enjoy being able to somewhat portray my bodylanguage, despite the fact that we're both behind computers.

am_i_evil666

I like to use smilies, they give another vibe to the message. :smile: It's kind of what Amargith said.

But I don't find it more difficult to read a post without smilies....but if it's very long, it may get a little difficult( or boring).

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This probably works for SFs to.

When you are reading a post is it harder for you to read it if there is no smilies in it or you are maybe somewhat annoyed with posts that have no smilies in it?

What do you think about huge post that are written on more or less impersonal level? They have a lot of imformation but no smilies at all.

Or you need smilies only in posts that are personal.
(if there is any truth in this theory)

I don't think I care much about smilies. I appreciate them in personal posts, but if the words are chosen well enough, smilies aren't necessary to me. In impersonal posts... I actually think they look unprofessional and childish.

I do find smilies more helpful on AIM and such, since you're communicating in real time and don't have as much time to think about how you're saying something.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Smilies help prevent misunderstandings, I feel. It allows the reader to realize that it's a light-hearted comment and should be taken as such. It prevents feelings from getting hurt, comments being misinterpreted etc etc. Plus, I enjoy being able to somewhat portray my bodylanguage, despite the fact that we're both behind computers.

Would this mean that you can be more agressive in your approach and then then soften up entire impression with smilies?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too many smilies is distracting. Especially ones that move; I'll try to read faster to get past this thing that is moving on my screen. I only use smilies if I feel like something might be interpreted in a way that I hadn't meant it to be, or in personal posts/messages. If I'm just discussing something impersonally then I would rather not use smilies.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Would this mean that you can be more agressive in your approach and then then soften up entire impression with smilies?

Well, it allows you to joke around more and make bolder statements I guess, while indicating it is a joke. I have no problem not using smileys when talking about something serious. It also livens up the conversation, much like bodylanguage does with a normal conversation, I feel.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i use smiles when being less serious. if im being serious it doesn't mean im unhappy though lol.

also "lol" applies imho

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I just like em:wubbie:... they don't add to my understanding at all really, may attract my attention a little and so aid my concentration levels and can help me get more of a jist esp if I am skim reading which I do alot.. But all in all I just like em, they are fun and pretty and colourful :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think it's important to me that i'm being read properly and some might think my writing style is ridiculous or that i'm incapable of writing in a more professional/ mature manner but in fact i just prefer to write exactly like i talk so my personality comes through as much as possible...and i put a smilie where i would typically smile i think irl...either a lil smile :) or a big kinda smart ass one :D i like them and i think it helps convey my point...but i certainly don't care if someone doesn't use them but i do find that i can't read the tone as well.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Messages with too many emoticons remind me of those young women who put hearts over their i's. ;)

I try to keep the emoticon count down to one per paragraph and usually far fewer than that. For a several paragraph email, I might use 3. But I'll almost always use one if I say something that could be misinterpreted.

Emoticons are friendly and I love to see certain ones from certain friends, because then I can imagine their voices as I'm reading. But too many tend to dilute the effect.

Last edited:

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I use the smileys to show good will. If I worry that something I'm writing could be misinterpreted as anything other than friendly, I will use one to show that my tone is light-hearted and amiable.

The smileys don't help me understand the writing any better or worse, and it certainly doesn't bother me when posts don't have smileys. In fact I get irritated with myself sometimes for feeling the need to insert a smiley, but taking it out doesn't feel worth the risk of a misinterpretation of what I've written. Must be my damn Fe.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I like smilies. Internet forums are a 100% visual medium (so far). So, they add to the presentation imho... :party2:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...i've got some good ones...i like an excuse to use them.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Smilies are like booze. You dont want too much or you'll be drunk ;)

ENFPs are excused from the rule, though. All the ENFPs I know would be like lobotomized INTPs without their expressiveness (And I think that expressiveness makes them adorable :blush:)

For me the smilies help keep the tone of my thought as it flows through the keyboard. I dont like the moving ones in a lot of situations cause they're overkill.

Informative, philosophical, and discussive posts should have any smilies, then it removes a lot of the seriousness from them.

Conversational posts are free for all. :)

Lizzy1813

MBTI Type
ENFP
Smilies, for me, allow the reader to see my expressions and clue into my actual meaning. I can tease a lot and get people confused in face-to-face situations, so smileys are my way of trying to avoid that in the computer realm. I actually like the wide selection from this forum as opposed to other times and places where I can't find the exact match I'd like.

And they're cute too...:biggrin:

Ouroboros

MBTI Type
INFP

I'm actually annoyed by too many smilies. I do overuse them when chatting in real time, though. If I have trouble understanding a post, it's because the writing was too verbose, unclear, or the word choice was a bit off. I probably pay as little attention to wordy, impersonal posts as much as I do to personal posts overflowing with smilies, so I can focus on the ones with content I can relate to more easily.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Using smileys more since I started on here has been a form of therapy. I always feel good seeing or posting a smiley. They give warm fuzzy feelings :).